Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Virginia/West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virginia/West Virginia

Have been trying to contact the Cove Campground in Gore with no success. Left a message on their recorder and email about renting a cabin was not answered. Are they open year round for riding? Also would like any recommendation on a good place to go and spend a Friday/Saturday night for some weekend riding. Did you stay somewhere you really liked at Hatfield or other area? Could you ride to the trails from the lodging? We really want to get a trip planned for Feb 2nd and 3rd if anyone is interested in joining us. There are 5 of us and we would like to rent a cabin if possible. Where would you recommend?
Thanks and hope to see you on the trails sometime.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

I haven't been to The Cove in several years, but back then they had a "call before you come to ride" policy since they would sometimes have special events at their campgrounds and didn't want riding at that time.

In the area of the Hatfield McCoy trail system there are lots of places to stay. The Hatfield McCoy web site (trailsheaven) has a section on camping / lodging. These range from primitive camping, to a campground with cabins, as well as in-town motels, rooms, apartments, cabins, trailers all the way up to decent sized houses. It would be against the policy of this forum to name specific businesses here (some of my favorite places to stay) but these kinds of questions can be answered on the quadcrew forum.

Places that are in the towns of Pineville, Man, Gilbert, Delbarton, Williamson and Matewan allow legal over the road access to the local trail system directly from where you are staying. Places that are outside of these towns or elsewhere may or may not have legal access to the nearest trail system. Of the 6 towns listed above (I'm sure the list will be expanded in the future), you can ride directly from the trails to gas stations or restaurants in these towns. It is important to obey all traffic laws while in these towns as well (save the hot ******* for the trails!).

Currently (as far as I know) there isn't any place you can stay and ride your ATV to more than one of the five Hatfield McCoy trail sytems from one lodging unit, so if you want to visit one of the other trail systems (I'd highly recommend it!) during your stay you will have to plan on hauling your quads at some point...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer

2TV,

Thanks for the info. I am going to give the Cove until the end of the week and then I'll try talking the group into going to Hatfield or Harlan County Kentucky or Tower City up in Pennsylvania.

Happy Trails..................

2007 Hawkeye 4x4 limited edition
front and rear brush guards
Warn winch
Glacier Plow System

2006 Kawasaki Bayou
2006 Polaris Predator

Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Sounds good, but keep in mind that popular lodging places in Hatfield McCoy country are often booked weeks or even months in advance, so you will need to plan ahead. Always be sure to print out the latest trail maps (from the trailsheaven web site) just prior to your departure. There have been several times where I've given maps to groups on the trail who didn't know where they were going and didn't have a single map among them!...

Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Range Rover

Definitely give Harlan County a shot....you won't be disappointed. www.rr.kyoutdoors.com

Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

We are going to Tower City, Pennsylvania next two weeks, but Kentucky as well as Hatfield McCoy are in our plans for the spring and summer. Looking forward to both and meeting some new friends. Hopefully we will get some snow soon. My plow is hungry.........................