Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

South Dakota riding - Black Hills or Badlands??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Dakota riding - Black Hills or Badlands??

We are planning the annual summer sojourn and need some advice.

Between the touristy stuff, we have four full days set aside for riding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. We'll have kids on 2 LT80s, a TRX90, and a blaster, plus us grown ups. We like all kinds of riding. Have a huge 40' fifth wheel - we like hookups, but can drycamp in a campground or out in the boonies. This'll be the end of June. We prefer to find a good spot and stay there rather than pack up and move from spot to spot (cuts in on ride time.)

So..........suggestions PLEASE!

thank you!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

Hi I also will be out there to go riding at the end of june I have been checking every were and I got some info from this web site http://www.atvpathfinder.com/ . I also have been told you can ride on roads in South dakota and most camp grounds will let you ride out of there parks so you dont have to load them up all the time. I camp at a resort south of Rapid City that wont let people ride out any more some people got in truble and now no one can do it. I have some friends that go a couple of times a year and they stay at a place by Sturgis just north of Rapid City and they go to some trails that are just down the road from there I will find out were and the name of every thing and post it later.
good luck may be we will cross paths out there

Old 02-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for responding! Please let me know the name of a campground where we can ride out - I don't want to have to do the daytrip thing. It looks like the NFS has dispersed camping - do your friends know if that's true? Can you boondock? I prefer a campground with the amenities, but dry camping doesn't bother us a bit.

Please let me know what you learn - thanks again!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

here is a place I found that is atv friendly and has a lot for kids and families to do and full hook ups
http://www.wildbillscamp.com/default.htm (605) 578-2800

here is a place to find maps of trails any were in the us
http://www.trailsource.com/atv/index.asp trail info

I will add any info I find from friends and on the net I am also looking so I can go riding aroung the black hill at the same time you are there.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wild Bill's is just South of Deadwood on 385 and you can seeseveral old mining mills and get to Custer Peak from there. Also Recreational Springs is a good place to stay. They have more of a place to eat if that is of concern. You can ride out of rec springs as well. AThe wife and I ride with many folks to introduce them to different area's. You can do that when you are retired. Eddee

Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I'm ready to book the spot. Both campgrounds look good. Which place would be best for:

a 40' fifth wheel
a 7 year old boy
a 15 year old boy
2 buddies who like to have a good time
4 quads

Eating out is not a big deal - bbq, or throw a lasagne in the oven is more our style.

Friendly, low-key fun, (we like a few cold ones by the fire, but not a lot of noise)

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

from what I have seen I would go to wild bills looks like there is a lot to do and you can get right on trails out of the park. I will also be out there the same week we might even ride past each other I hope the riding is as good as I here I will have to check out wild bill to go camp there some time. good luck and hope every thing goes good there for you
be safe

Old 02-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can ride right out of both. Rec springs is on 385 and Wild Bills is just over Strawberry Hill South of Deadwood. Rec springs is a little more rustic and Wild Bills is a little fancier. Rec Springs has the best place for kids I think. I'd be happy to stay at either place if I was you guys. If you want more info call me. I don't know how to put pictures on a forum or to keep my email private. phone is 605-892-6454
Today is Feb 25 and we'll be gone from about 10 AM to 5PM

Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

oneeddee I would like to know were I could park at when I come out there riding we are staying at Hart Ranch resort and can not ride out of the park any more some one got in truble and now no one can do it. We have a 20' car trailer we will be pulling and we would like to ride for about 2.5 days in mid may and dont know were to park or were there is a parking lot to start from any help would help out great. We are also coming at the end of june for a week and will need it then to any info will help us out thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well as you can see from the two previous messages I have written you can stay at those places and ride out of. In close to Rapid City like the Hart Ranch there really isn't any place close if you go west towards Hill City there are some places out there and then west of Hill City at Deerfield Resort you can ride out of there. But like I said I can help a lot more by visiting with folks direct and my phone is 605-892-6454