Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Michigan riders, looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan riders, looking for some advice

45 days till I take off for the UP and Sault Ste Marie. What is the riding like there? Railroad grades, tight woods trails? Would I be better off with a light 2wd like an Ozark or something like a 350 or 420 Rancher in 4wd. Would I be better off with a small two stroke dirt bike or a dual sport instead of a quad? Right now my only ride is an 88 Harley Davidson so I'm open to a quad or dirt bike. I have too many other hobbies, shooting, hiking and camping, hunting, fishing, etc. so I can afford to be choosy about when I ride. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

I ride in the U.P quite often, my suggestion would be to ride the 4 x 4 rancher. I don't know if the trails will be open to quads at that time, it still may be snowmobiles only. If they are open to quads, I would suggest going to the Drummond Island area if you get a chance.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Trailblazer

I should have been more clear, in 45 days I am moving there. I should show up in early May. When the snow is gone are the snowmobile trails open to quads?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, I think it is April 1st is when trails close to snowmobiles and open to atvs...... The U.P. is an atvers paradise.... Check out this website, its a guys who rides with us, and pretty much all the pics are from the U.P. and the most current is from Drummond Island, which is not far from Sault St. Marie. I was unable to insert link but heres his site ... lackdog.com

Old 02-18-2007, 01:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You could also come across to Sault Canada. The trail heading from Sault Canada to Seachmout are more twisty, tight and hilly and will have just enough remaining snow in shaded section to make it interesting. Sault Michigan is more wide open and flat deer country while we are my wooded hilly Moose terrain.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

TLC,

I need to get my passport first but I plan on spending a little time in Canada. How many people live in your Sault? I'm divorced, wondering if Alannis Morrisette spends any time there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

No you only need a pass port for flights right now,not for land crossing. The population here is 80,000. Its only a 5min ride from Sault Michigan.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

TLC,

80,000 is very cool. Sault Ste Marie, MI might be the Coast Guards biggest secret. Everybody looks at the town and how small it is and decides to pass on it for a duty station. I have a friend who was there just a few years ago and he loved it. Where can I get information on riding in Canada and what I have to do about ORV stickers, etc.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Here are some trail maps around the Sault. http://www.ssmtrailblazers.com/maps/areamap.html Now the red lines our our groomed snowmobile trails but there are many more secondary trails not on the map,but it gives you a Idea.

Most of the Land around the Sault is public property (Crown Land) so all you need is your drivers licenses, proof of ownership of ATV and insurance. There are no trail permits needed after the snow machine season is over (April 1st) or earlier if the snow trails are deemed unsafe for sleds.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

TLC,

I bookmarked that whole site, thanks. Right now it is gray, windy as crap, raining and about 50 degrees and I can't wait to leave. A lot of people hear "California" and think it is all sun and sand but I live in the foggy cool and moist north.

Quick Reply: Michigan riders, looking for some advice