Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wanting to take a tour of Kentucky. KY Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to take a tour of Kentucky. KY Need Help?

My brother and I will be taking a guys trip to KY over Easter weekend. We live in St. Louis and will be leaving Tuesday, 3rd of April and we will be returning on Sunday the 8th. We would like to incorporate riding for three days, (one day each at three different places), Keeneland (to watch horse racing, we heard that was pretty cool) and bourbon/bardstown (we both really like bourbon). Can any of you guys that live in or have ridden in KY give me some suggestions on some places to ride? We were thinking about Land between the Lakes, somewhere in Hazzard county and maybe in Harlan county somewhere. If any of you guys could give me some ideas, that would be great. Also, if spark arrestors or any of that stuff is required, please let me know.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

How about Harlan County? Can anyone tell me trails to ride on and trails to avoid? My brother and I will be on sport quads and bikes.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/area-trailheads.php

http://www.trailsheaven.com/

Just so ya know... Hazzard is "Hazard" and a town in Perry Co... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] lol. Common mistake though. I'm from very near there. If i recall someone who had something to do with the Dukes of Hazzard show had ties to the area but that could just be a tall tale.

Whatever you decide I hope you have fun and enjoy the area. I've not even bought a quad yet but lurk here often and thought i would sign up to try and help ya. Should be some other local people here too.

Take care !

Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the Hazard info. All the other posts I have read about this area are right, people from south and eastern Kentucky are really nice. Thanks for joining to give me some info.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

Definitely go to Harlan County! Free riding, free guided tours- you can't beat it! 40,000 + acres to ride, from easy to extreme. Stay in the city of Evarts, and it is an ATV friendly town- you can legally ride your toy thru town- obey regular vehicle laws and be OK. Hook up with the local ATV club, The Harlan County Ridge Runners ATV Club, and you can get a free guided tour, or buy a map in town and go at it on your own. There's alot more to tell you about it, but just go to www.rr.kyoutdoors.com which is the Ridge Runner's Website, and visit the forum section. All your ?'s will be answered quickly.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just got back from Harlan County Yesterday. Its an awsome place to ride. Try Black Mountain. Lots of trails. We also hooked up with the Ridge Runners on St Pattys day and did an 80 mile run near Martins fork lake. We stayed in Evarts, It is a cool town. you can ride right down the road. All the trails are marked from beginner to extreme. Stay away from the WidowMaker. Nasty Trail. Hope this helps out. make sure to pick up a map at the chevron gas station. it shows you all the trails and their difficultly. If you need anything for your bike stop by Austins Atv shop. He has everything and if he doesn't he'll get it for you. He is right in town.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for all your info. Are there many bikes that ride in Harlan (my brother has a crf450 that he may bring)? Also, are spark arrestors required? Sorry, but I have one more question and it might be a dumb one, is jetting ever an issue for people up in the mountains?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did not see alot of street bikes there. everyone had a quad or dirt bike. I am not to sure about the spark arrestor but it is always good to have it in when you are in the woods. they just had some severe forest fires their. I rode with a few fellas that had sports bikes (raptors,450's,) they all had loud exhausts. not sure if jetted though. I ride a 06 honda rubicon. no need for rejetting until I get a snorkel kit on. hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

Harlan County-- Its awesome. The Trails are well groomed, lots of play areas, mud holes, and the scenery is breath taking. The "Ridgerunners" are very nice and helpful to get you to the cool places, and will provide guided tours. IF you go ask them to get you to "the Stadium". We went in April and camped on the Putney Trail head camp site. You can cross the mountain on trail which take you into Everts. They allow you to drive in town. The big thing is ITS FREE. Oh if you do stay at the putney camp site, go visit the gas station down the road. They have awesome breakfast.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love riding in kentucky. Ive been to harlan and like it allot. Most of my riding though is from my families land. They are actually renting out their cabin. I love riding there, mostly private trails you have to find but i easily put on 200 miles in a weekend. here is a link to their cabin.

dandkfarms.com