Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tower City Camping

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower City Camping

My buddy got stuck with some "honey do's" so I am riding solo Saturday the 31st at Tower City. This will be my first time there and not thrilled about being solo but I am "jonesing" to ride so I am going. Anyone planning to ride there Saturday? I ride a 500 Cat 4x4 and enjoy everything except the extremely steep hills. Always did them on my sport quads but the thought of 700lbs flipping on me has calmed me down a little.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower City Camping

I'm going to disagree with slimjonesy. There's a lot to ride at Tower City. It's 6000+ acres. I've been there about a dozen times and there are still many secondary trails I haven't ridden yet. You just have to explore when you're out there.

The main trails are marked fairly well, and there are numerous unmarked trails. Unless you go way out of the way - it's hard to get lost there. You can get a trail map at the main "office/trailer" there.

You have everything from rocky trails to water/mud holes, to jeep trails to big hills (Mt Everest).
If you go, ask how to get to the turnpike. Everybody knows it. If you follow it out, there are many trails to explore out that way. I believe it's trail #3 that takes you out to it.

What sucks about tower city is the coal dust. If it's dry, be prepared to have any exposed skin covered by it.

We've recently started riding Paragon - paragonap.com. I like that park better. It's a farther ride for you from Md, but it's only $25 a day to ride, and I like the terrain better. There aren't as many "yahoos" there, and no coal dust, either. They are in a legal battle right now over the land, but so far still open to riding.

Just my .02.