Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

BEND OVER P.A.! NEW ATV LAW FORCES ALL OWNERS TO GET REGISTRATIONS .

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snowshark makes a point that worries me.
The way i'm seeing things: The states already holding 3.2 million in the trail fund. The money come from people like us who pay the money hoping to see new trail creation and existing trail expansion. ive seen none of this so far. the DCNR has already put a moratorium on new trails for PA.
The DCNR cant come to terms with enviro's as things are now. Whats to make me believe more moneys gonna help. Besides, i think the number of backyard bootleg riders in this state far exeeds
the number of people who actually operate their ORV's within the confines of PA's legal terrain. THE DCNR knows this. "cha-ching!"
Lets assume the the percentage of ATV's registered in PA now is 30%. And that PA ranks somewhere in the top five for nationwide ATV sales. With a current optional registration putting 3.2 million in the DCNR's fund. How much money would tacking on the other 70% of ATV"s add
to their pocket. Dont forget the insurance company's cut. And dont forget your local municipality's eagerness to boost up their moneys via the new provisions on this bill.
Will we actually see more trail systems in PA?
or given the said above senario, has the state discovered a goldmine?
I hope we all get what we deserve.

Old 12-21-2000, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have a split opinion about registration.

1st: being in Ohio we've resently been required to register. The good in this, as I see it, involves making it harder to STEAL anothers quad, and attempting to re-register it in Ohio.

2nd: the downfall, who really needs more government intervention in our lives. And if taken out of state this is no real deterant.

3rd: in Ohio the registration is relativly inexpensive.

Old 12-21-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't mind if it did go to new trails but I actually don't think it will. I would like to see new trails. Aww he||, I'll go make a couple.

Old 12-21-2000, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

Here in California we have to register our atvs or anything that is driven off road.I myself have mixed feelings about it.I do it cause i'm suppose to and don't need to get a BIG FAT TICKET.I know each state has thier reasons for rigistering off road vehicles.I think that it's a way to get more money out of the people.With a lot of places being closed down i don't see the money being used to try to keep them open.I think that in time each state will see how much money that thier loosing and this will be made a mandatory thing....BOB

Old 12-22-2000, 05:10 AM
Trailblazer
Old 12-22-2000, 08:30 AM
Range Rover

The ATV and Snowmobile Reg fund in Pa. by law can only be spend to make or maintain trails and trail related facilities. This is one thing I asked before Reg both my ATV's in PA. Notice I'm from Va. and gladly pay the $20 for two years of legal places to ride. If you don't like it move to Va. No Reg fee here. But we only have three legal riding areas and they are rocky as hell and less then 75 miles of trails total. The only reason we have they is because the Nat'l Forests were nice enough to make them. So quit are wining.

Wayne B

Old 12-22-2000, 10:16 PM
Range Rover

Dear Helmet 660 let me try and explain some of the bennefits of the new law.

#1 Mandatory registration will increase the money in the trail fund by law this money can only be used for new trail initiatives. I personaly would like to see all new trails built on private land. This way the environatzi,s can kiss mine and your ***. I would gladdly PAY and additional fee to ride some really nice trail,s not the crap trails we are currently given. I dont know if you have ever been to POHOPCO in Monroe county but this area is a disgrace, and would not be considered enjoyable by many people.

#2 Mandatory Insurance, Bring it on thank God!!!! I dont know if you are insured or not I dont know how old you are or how inteligent you are. What I do know is there are alot of *******s out there who dont care about ther own safety let alone mine or my kids. If one of these Nitwits comes flying down a trail at warp speed and slams into me someone is going to have to take care of my bills and responsibbilities untill I am able to go back to work. This is not a SUE happy mentallity this is the reallity of life. Im sure you are a responsible individual and never do anything crazy but ther are those who do.

#3 Asking for permmision to ride on private property. This one is a real stretch. I do not know how they expect anyone to know at all times who,s property they are crossing, all I can say is be respectfull of other peoples land and privacy if the land is posted no tresspassing stay the hell off. Most property owners dont want ATV,s on ther property for fear of being sued if someone gets hurt. One more good reason for mandatory insurance. Most people dont want to sue other people untill they get hurt and realize they dont have the money to pay the doctor bills and such.

Well Hemet660 theres my take on a few of the issues hope you can see the forrest through the trees.

Happy Motoring Hambone

Old 12-23-2000, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you Hambone for that dose of optimism.
I'm feeling much less disgruntled.
Happy Hollidays.

Old 12-23-2000, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

Helmet660 said that there is a 3.2 million surplus. If that is true it doesn't sound like they are spending the money on the trails now. What makes you think they will spend the money on the trails in the future.
By the way I have ins. and pay the 20$ reg. fee every 2 years, hoping they will open up some new trails

Old 12-27-2000, 01:15 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Having insurance also protects the person who has it for instance if you wreck into someone, & they're injured you are protected more than w/o any insurance. Plus if you roll your quad off a cliff your covered. The BIG problem I see, is w/ the law that requires written permission to ride private land. All the local cops have to do, if they wanted to crack down on ATVers, is stop them & ask for their written permission. We have lots of places to ride w/ verbal permission since everyone knows everyone else where I live, but I dont know if my neigbors will feel comfortable about putting in writing that were're permitted to ride on their land. My point is no one will have written permission so thats make ATVers easy targets w/ the cops.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Quick Reply: BEND OVER P.A.! NEW ATV LAW FORCES ALL OWNERS TO GET REGISTRATIONS .