Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

BEND OVER P.A.! NEW ATV LAW FORCES ALL OWNERS TO GET REGISTRATIONS .

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is an article from the locl paper here in Huntingdon PA:

A new law that is expected to go into effect next year will have some owners of ATV's and snowmobiles hopping mad.
Hidden in a transportation bill approved by the legislature last mon. and awaiting Gov.Tom Ridge's signature provides for mandatory registration of the recreational vehicles.Under the measure, all ATV's and snowmobiles would have to be registered w/ the state exept for those used solely for farming or buisiness.
Under current regulations, only opperators riding snowmobiles or ATV's on state trails must pay the $20 biannual registration fee.
The bill is intended to strike a balance between enthusiast, who are demanding more trails, and environmentalist who complain about erosion and other damage to the 188 miles of legal ATV trails and the estimated 2500 miles of illegal trails in state forests.
The measure will allow the DCNR to give organizations money from the states approximately 3.2 million ATV registration fund to buy of lease trails on private lands. Currently, the fund can only be used for maintenance and development of trails on state-owned property.
Earlier this year, the DCNR put a hold on new ATV trails untill an environmental assessment could be made.
The bill also aims to get local law enforcement agencies involved by allowing local municipalities to keep fines for violations. Currently all fine moneys go to the state.
Other provisions of the measure affecting snowmobiles and ATV's include:
* The requirement that all ATV owners buy liability insurance which already applies to snowmobile owners.
* Increases the fines for first-time offenders. the fines would range from $50 to $250.
* Creates an ATV trail advisory committee.
* Requires riders of ATV,s to get written permission before giong on private lands.

If anyone can see a way in which
me or anyone else, can possibly benefit from this new (soon to be) law......lets hear it.
cause' at this point i'm feel'n a tad "disgruntled".

Old 12-21-2000, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Freedom. I hope I don't have explain to my future grandchildren what that word is.

Old 12-21-2000, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Now hold on here!
I don't mind paying for registration. As long as I see more trails opening, less bitching from the ECONazis and maintaining the current trails. If it's just to put money into Old Tom's pocket then we may have a problem

Old 12-21-2000, 02:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

If all they say is true, then I would be for it 100%. Time & time tells me GREAT at first, but later on what use to cost a little, gets alot more expensive or less true to what I was led to belive. I hope I am wrong! A real man won't bend over and grab his ankles, Hee-Hee, had to put that in. It's easy for A governing body to get use to A taxation to help out other areas besides the one it was originally intended for when that area needs to be maintained. Like I said I hope I am just blowing smoke out my a**. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU FOLKS!!!

Old 12-21-2000, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

As long as we get more trails I am ALL for it! My parents live in PA nad I ride there a lot, if the reg. means more trails I will Reg. it there instead of MD and not complain 1 bit!

Old 12-21-2000, 10:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Registration fees for more new trails sounds like a good idea if the money ends up where it should and trails stay open/or gain more trails. What is NOT a good idea is having mandatory liability insurance on atv's. I have insurance on my quad, but that's my decision. What's next, mandatory insurance on kids bicycles? The written permission thing is another big problem. Most large tracts of land are owned by land companies, Mining companies, etc. etc., that will never "put it in writing" that atvers can ride on their property because of liability concerns.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a good idea. we have had our quads registered for years. We also have them insured. Cant wait to see more trails opened.

Old 12-21-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the club. In Washington state you have to register your quad unless you only ride on private land. We pay $20 a year & yet we don't see any new trails! Where does the money go?

I wouldn't mind paying money if the state truely does develop additional rideing areas.

Old 12-21-2000, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

So, is the money you Pa. guys fork over for registrations, going to go toward ANYTHING ATV related? I hope so, and I really hope it doesn't pay for "TRAIL CLOSED" signs.

Old 12-21-2000, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

The "green sticker" program has worked out well here in California. It is only $20 per 2 yrs. The funds go to purchasing and maintaining vehicular recreation areas (Pismo, Ocotillo Wells, Hungry Valley, etc.). They even have enough money to give grants to other agencies. For example, the bathrooms at Dumont and Glamis (BLM administered), were paid with these funds. The question is, will your state do as well??

Quick Reply: BEND OVER P.A.! NEW ATV LAW FORCES ALL OWNERS TO GET REGISTRATIONS .