Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run OHV Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run OHV Virginia

Hello

Im looking for some riders that would like to have a fun day at Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run OHV. I have never been but it, sounds to be a nice place to ride. Reply to this listing and we all can pick a Sat or Sun sometime in Sept to ride there.Here's the website

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/le...eation/ohv/index.shtml

Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

we ride taskers alot. it costs $5 a day or arounf $30 for a yearly pass. its not bad but you get bored with it quick. some of the trails are a little rocky and tend to beat your bike up. its just too bad that it is one of the very few places in northern va. that we can ride. it has been about a month and a half since i have been there and i hope the money that they are charging now will go back into the trails to improve them and maybe add more!!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That place used to be free when I went there. Personally, I thought it sucked. Too many rocks.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone found any good jumps at the Gap? I like the cheap part, but I'm looking to do some jumps and all the local MX tracks are closed for winter.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I rode here twice this past weekend on the 14th and 15th of October 2017. My ATV is a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 FiS Manual......

These trails are ROCKKKYY. I've ridden South Pedlar near Natural Bridge and I thought that was Rocky, but Taskers Gap takes it to a whole new level, it's absolutely brutal in some areas. It was a nice challenge starting out, but it just beats the crap out of you. I was able to get up the 494, and all the way down and back up Peters Mill, but after that I was too tired to even think about getting to the 494....

It's a nice area, there are some trails that are decent and smoother, but to get to any of them you have to go through rock garden after rock garden. If you don't have a 4x4 and a winch with good ground clearance I wouldn't even try...

On these trails, they creep up into 4wd areas on you, starts off looking fine in 2wd, then you go around a corner where you need momentum to stay in 2wd and it's up hill and boulders and just chaos and you need to be in 4wd like now, so might as well just stay in 4wd...

I mis judged a hill on 494 (most difficult trail) and I had to winch back down it, put winch away, lock in 4wd, 1st gear, and smack it hard to get up it... Big *** boulder right in the middle of the trail on the incline....

--Update
The easiest way to tackle it imo is to park at edingap, (where restroom is) then take the 493, stay off the 499, its difficult, but the 493 is easy and OHV friendly. 493 is is a BIG trail, it has many intersections to other trails, but all those other trails are Marked Difficult (rock as hell, but a better hell than 495 and 494, those two trails are insane).

493 hugs the road, easy to miss it's entrances.

The jungle by taskers gap, 553j, 533h, 553f, 533d etc etc, I would just avoid all that. 493 is good, or go over to petersmill.

The 494 is brutal and I saw someone take a fkin jeep up that thing lol. I wanted to turn around and follow it and see where they got stuck... lol.

I highly recommend not trying to get to the 553 (no letters) because you either have to do all of 493 into 499 or go down the 495 to get to it. The 499 is no picnic either, and thats 2+ miles to get to it, and coming out of the 553 you're going into an easy trail if you hug left, then stay on that till it becomes 553 e but then that's difficult again.

Very easy to get too deep and fatigue and not get out unless you're in really good shape, I'm not...