Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield/McCoy Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 10:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was hopefully looking to ride some of the trails this spring. I was wondering from some people who have ridden these trails how easy the easiest trails are? I got a 250 xplorer 4X4 for my wife and I know it will go about anywhere, but she has a problem with 3 things. Her biggest thing is off cambers, then rocky, then heavily rutted trails. She has ridden several trails, but I took her to Brown Mountain and she was scared pretty bad most of the time. I shouldn't have taken her there until she had more experience I guess. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could let me know about the eaiser trails on the Hatfield/McCoy Thanks.

Old 01-05-2001, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Homer i live near the Mingo county trail for the most part it,s pretty tame if you stay
on 10 up to Matewan she should be able to handle it .I have taken several inexperienced riders out and they had no problem and had a blast.

Old 01-06-2001, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, just how bad is Brown Mtn? I heard it was relatively easy. I have been to Wayehutta, in Cullowee, NC and it is totally awesome. It wasn't hard at all and it is the perfect place to take the whole family on a riding adventure. I am pretty experienced for a female rider, but rocks and ruts just arent my thing either and it can scare me pretty bad if the terrain is rough. So if you have more info on Brown Mtn I would appreciate it because we were planning a trip there in April.

Thanks,

a~night~rider

Old 01-06-2001, 08:37 AM
Range Rover

Hello anightrider, I hope I didn't scare you about Brown Mountain. I live about 25 miles from there and I love to go there and ride. I guess it is all realitive to what people consider rough as to how Brown Mountain is. My wife has been to Wayehutta twice and ridden all the trails there and loved it. There was a couple of places that scared her a little there but not bad. I don't know how well you ride, but I feel sure that if you just watch what you are doing you will do fine and have a ball. Like I said my wife hadn't ridden that much and had listened to some people talking about how bad Brown Mountain was before we went. I have seen 10 year old kids to 65 year old women riding these trails and having a ball. The best I can tell you is to go to atv connection home page, look under resources, click on trails go to North Carolina, go to atv connection article on NC riding. This has articles on Wayehutta, Brown Mountain, and Upper Tellico. Keep on riding and have a blast, I know I had rather ride with my wife than anyone else.

Old 01-06-2001, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for the additional info. I guess we will try it out, I won't know if I will like until I try it for myself! I've already seen
the pages online, it sounds like it will not be too bad. I know my boyfriend tends to get a bit crazy when he is out with the other guys
therefore I like it much better when we are riding together so he will not get too carried away and possibly kill himself!!
Ride on.......

a~night~rider

Old 01-09-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

You and your wife shouldn't have any problems with the RockHouse and Bear Hollow trails. The individual trails are marked with degree of difficulty, and there are plenty of trails that should be enjoyable for your group. Ask at the trailheads, and take a copy of the trails to mark the ones to avoid.

Old 01-09-2001, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

RubiconBob, you've spent some time at H/M Trails. I was there over the weekend at Rockhouse Trailhead to get a look and info. It just happened to be off the beaten trail for some place else I was headed to.
Are there security guards at each of the trailheads and do you know why they're stationed there? The s/g at Rockhouse was very courteous and watchful of car and truck traffic past the guard house. About the only thing he didn't pay any attention to was the cows which rome at will all over the place. He even feeds the stray dogs! Thanks,
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 01-10-2001, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure those folks are actually Security Guards, just folks who work at the trailhead to ensure everyone follows the rules, signs in, and has the needed passes/registration. If someone doesn't, I believe their main recourse would be to contact local law enforcement. I understood that there would eventually be armed "Forestry Rangers" or something similiar patrolling the trails, again mainly for adherence to the rules and for safety issues. When we were there, we rode with WayneB, and he was very familiar, not just with the trails, but the folks that work there.

Old 01-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

When I got there, the guard said, "the rangers had just taken off. Didn't know if they'd be back today." It was cold, they probably went to get some antifreeze... That what I would have done...
Thanks for the note.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch..