Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Mud riding in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud riding in Michigan

I live in Michigan and was wondering if anyone knows of some really good places to go mud riding.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mud riding in Michigan

I don't really know any good places but I'd sure like to. I hope someone else can tell us.

The nearest place to me that I know gets muddy is Gladwin. It's the Molasses River floodplain and the spring thaw puts a lot of the trail underwater. It's mostly water and not mud, but between the trails and routes, I've seen 3-4 feet of water in spots and some mud holes to play in. You don't even need a 4x4, but trucks tear up the ATV ROUTES real bad.

In the U.P. there's about a 10-mile stretch of swamp/bog on a trail that runs right through the Seney Wildlife Preserve. I don't know anyone other than myself to ever make it through. A good winch and four-wheel-drive is mandatory, and I wouldn't try it with a limited-slip either. My one dozen plus friends all went around. I suggest no-one try it unless you're in a big group and have mud tires. That's the only place in the state you need them as far as I know. There are lots of stumps hidden in the tall grass/reeds/rushes/cat-tails. There was only one piece of solid ground to stop on the whole time. If you do go there expect to get stuck, covered in mud from head to toe, and your wrists and forearms to hurt from hitting all the logs and stumps you can't see.

I've seen some trails, like Atlanta, that have a big mudhole or two to play on, and the rest of the trail is solid dirt. Maybe 20 feet of mud and 50 miles of dirt.