Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Morning PSAR

Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

good mornin everyone

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Mornin' PSAR

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HappaRap

I'll be making my way to Canada this morning, should be a very interesting day </end quote></div>

Have fun, lots of snow in Bellingham and points north!
Good to see you survived your meatloaf!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Red400EXRod<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HappaRap I'll be making my way to Canada this morning, should be a very interesting day </end quote></div> Have fun, lots of snow in Bellingham and points north! Good to see you survived your meatloaf!</end quote></div>
Taking my time with this today, it's our last trip to Canada, not much product and only 4 stops, hopefully the plows will be doing a better job by the time I head out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Red400EXRod Good to see you survived your meatloaf!</end quote></div>
Yep, so far, so good, it actually wasn't too bad, maybe I'll try something else this weekend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

good morning Kids!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a good explination of the rules for the oregon dunes.
rules for riding double or operating a utv are an eye opener.

Oregon All-Terrain Vehicle Operator Requirements

Overview Of Important Changes.

Senate Bill 101 was signed into law by Governor Ted Kulongoski on August 15, 2007. The law requires that all Oregonians operating Class I (quads) or Class III (motorcycle) All-terrain Vehicles (ATV) for recreational purposes on public lands* successfully complete an ATV safety education course. It also includes new requirements for adult supervision of youth under 16 years of age, fastening of helmet chin straps, and properly matching youth under 16 with a correct size quad. These new requirements will be phased in over a period from January 1, 2008 through January 1, 2014. The following schedule shows when each of these specific requirements will be put into effect.

Starting January 1, 2008
Supervision:
Starting January 1, 2008, all youth under 16 operating a Class I or Class III ATV on public lands must be supervised by an adult who:

. Is at least 18 years of age.
. Holds a valid All-terrain Vehicle Education Card. (Note: The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department is currently developing requirements for the ATV safety education course. As a result, this specific requirement will begin on January 1, 2009.)
. Is able to provide immediate assistance and direction to the children.

Chin Straps:
Helmets are currently required for youth under 18 for Class I and III ATVs. Oregon law now clarifies that the helmet's chin strap must be fastened.

Starting January 1, 2009
**Mandatory safety education for all Class I (quads) and Class III (motorcycles) ATV operators on public lands:
. Starting January 1, 2009--All youth under 16 must always be supervised by an adult over age 18 and have an ATV education card.

Class I Rider Fit:
Rider Fit Guidelines are currently being developed for youth under 16 who operate Class I ATVs (quads). These guidelines will help properly match the size of the youth to the correct size quad. (Note: This specific requirement will begin on January 1, 2009.) More information about the new guidelines will be posted as it becomes available.
2010 through 2014
**Mandatory safety education for Class I (quads) and Class III (motorcycles) ATV operators on public lands:
. Starting January 1, 2010 -- all persons under age 31 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2011 all persons under age 41 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2012 all persons under age 51 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2013 all persons under age 61 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2014 all persons must have an ATV safety education card.

*This bill exempts the above requirements for operators using ATVs exclusively for farming, agriculture, forestry, nursery or Christmas tree growing operations and being used on lands owned or leased by the owner of the vehicle.
**Mandatory ATV safety education requirements are being developed during 2008. ATV education cards will be available through an online course and test, similar to the Oregon State Marine Board's Boater education program. Hands-on safety training requirements are also being explored for youth.

Oregon Dunes KOA recently discussed these and other changes and their impact on guests riding in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area with Coos County Deputy Sheriff Rod Roberts. Child safety is a very important topic among law enforcement agencies. Besides the obvious importance of keeping our young riders safe, everyone should recognize there are various groups who site any youth related accident as another reason to close the dunes. Following safe riding practices for ANY AGE GROUP is a major defense against dune closure. The following is a list that will receive special attention in the following year.

1. Helmet laws will be strictly enforced. Bicycle helmets are not a substitute for approved Off Road helmets. Youth operators and passengers of Class I and Class III vehicles must be wearing a DOT approved motorcycle helmet and the helmet must be buckled.

2. If you are riding double with your child, he/she must be able to reach the foot pegs or floor pan. The child must be sitting directly on the seat and not in your lap. Adults whose children are holding onto the handle bars may be cited for "Interference with an operator". If your child can not reach the foot pegs or floor pan while seated on the ATV seat, they need to be on their own ATV or riding in a side by side vehicle.

3. Infants in backpacks or snugglies are not safe and you will be cited.

4. If you are driving a Class II vehicle you must have proof of insurance, fire extinguisher, and a valid drivers license in your possession when you are on the dunes. Please remember you can not drive a motorized vehicle of any kind on public lands with a suspended drivers license in the state of Oregon. You should also have your drivers license in your possession when riding a Class I and Class III vehicle. Also remember Rhinos, Razors, and like vehicles are Class II vehicles!

5. The access road from our property out to the dunes has new stop signs. Due to the increased traffic and potential risks of an ATV vs semi-truck encounter, law enforcement will be ticketing failure to stop. This failure goes on your permanent driving record and will result in an insurance increase at your next premium renewal.

6. 2007 saw a huge increase in off road traffic out to the dunes. Irresponsible individuals caused significant damage to Central Oregon Pacific RR property along the railroad right of way. Trespassing on the railroad tracks (use the legal crossing on Hauser Road) can result in a minimum $240 fine or your arrest for criminal trespassing.

7. 93 dB is the legal sound allowed. Again, there are local residents who are seeking any reason to close the dunes to ORV. Please comply with the sound level and riding hours to help protect our area. Law endforcement will come to Oregon Dunes KOA for courtesy sound checks. Sound control will be a major focal point for the 2008 season.

8. Remember that any citation written by the Sheriff's Department or other state law enforcement goes on your permanent driving record.

Deputy Sheriff Roberts also discussed the Rider Fit Guidelines that are being studied for Oregon.

Proposed Rider Fit Rules

A Class I ATV operator under the age of 16, must meet the following minimum physical size requirements in relationship to the vehicle:

1. Brake Reach: With hands placed in the normal operating position and fingers straight out, the first joint (from the tip) of the middle finger will extend beyond the brake lever, and

2. Leg Length: When sitting, the knee should be bent at least 45 degrees, and

3. Grip Reach: While sitting upright on the ATV with hands on the handlebars and not leaning forward, there should be a distinct angel between the upper arm and the forearm, and

4. The rider must be able to turn the handle bars from lock to lock while maintaining a grip on the handle bars and maintaining throttle and brake control.

Roberts anticipates January 1, 2009 will bring approval for the items currently under discussion..

For more information on 2008 OHV rules, click on the link!
www.oregonohv.org

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS OF OREGON DUNES KOA STAFF: (Please see the link above for the complete 2008 rule book including out of state requirements.)

1. Spark Arrestors or exhaust systems that prevent sparks are required on all vehicles.

2. Oregon honors valid out of state Off Road Permits if that state honors Oregon permits. Click here

3. Razors are considered Class II vehicles due to their weight even though they are less than 50 inches wide. Oregon is currently studying the feasability of adding another permit class that would include sand rails and similar vehicles. Until that time, these vehicles are considered Class II vehicles and subject to the laws that apply to all Class II vehicles.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hondablue
Here is a good explanation of the rules for the Oregon dunes.
rules for riding double or operating a UTV are an eye opener.
Oregon All-Terrain Vehicle Operator Requirements
Overview Of Important Changes.
Senate Bill 101 was signed into law by Governor Ted Kulongoski on August 15, 2007. The law requires that all Oregonians operating Class I (quads) or Class III (motorcycle) All-terrain Vehicles (ATV) for recreational purposes on public lands* successfully complete an ATV safety education course. It also includes new requirements for adult supervision of youth under 16 years of age, fastening of helmet chin straps, and properly matching youth under 16 with a correct size quad. These new requirements will be phased in over a period from January 1, 2008 through January 1, 2014. The following schedule shows when each of these specific requirements will be put into effect.
Starting January 1, 2008
Supervision:
Starting January 1, 2008, all youth under 16 operating a Class I or Class III ATV on public lands must be supervised by an adult who:
. Is at least 18 years of age.
. Holds a valid All-terrain Vehicle Education Card. (Note: The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department is currently developing requirements for the ATV safety education course. As a result, this specific requirement will begin on January 1, 2009.)
. Is able to provide immediate assistance and direction to the children.
Chin Straps:
Helmets are currently required for youth under 18 for Class I and III ATVs. Oregon law now clarifies that the helmet's chin strap must be fastened.
Starting January 1, 2009
**Mandatory safety education for all Class I (quads) and Class III (motorcycles) ATV operators on public lands:
. Starting January 1, 2009--All youth under 16 must always be supervised by an adult over age 18 and have an ATV education card.
Class I Rider Fit:
Rider Fit Guidelines are currently being developed for youth under 16 who operate Class I ATVs (quads). These guidelines will help properly match the size of the youth to the correct size quad. (Note: This specific requirement will begin on January 1, 2009.) More information about the new guidelines will be posted as it becomes available.
2010 through 2014
**Mandatory safety education for Class I (quads) and Class III (motorcycles) ATV operators on public lands:
. Starting January 1, 2010 -- all persons under age 31 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2011 all persons under age 41 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2012 all persons under age 51 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2013 all persons under age 61 must have an ATV education card.
. Starting January 1, 2014 all persons must have an ATV safety education card.
*This bill exempts the above requirements for operators using ATVs exclusively for farming, agriculture, forestry, nursery or Christmas tree growing operations and being used on lands owned or leased by the owner of the vehicle.
**Mandatory ATV safety education requirements are being developed during 2008. ATV education cards will be available through an online course and test, similar to the Oregon State Marine Board's Boater education program. Hands-on safety training requirements are also being explored for youth.
Oregon Dunes KOA recently discussed these and other changes and their impact on guests riding in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area with Coos County Deputy Sheriff Rod Roberts. Child safety is a very important topic among law enforcement agencies. Besides the obvious importance of keeping our young riders safe, everyone should recognize there are various groups who site any youth related accident as another reason to close the dunes. Following safe riding practices for ANY AGE GROUP is a major defense against dune closure. The following is a list that will receive special attention in the following year.
1. Helmet laws will be strictly enforced. Bicycle helmets are not a substitute for approved Off Road helmets. Youth operators and passengers of Class I and Class III vehicles must be wearing a DOT approved motorcycle helmet and the helmet must be buckled.
2. If you are riding double with your child, he/she must be able to reach the foot pegs or floor pan. The child must be sitting directly on the seat and not in your lap. Adults whose children are holding onto the handle bars may be cited for "Interference with an operator". If your child can not reach the foot pegs or floor pan while seated on the ATV seat, they need to be on their own ATV or riding in a side by side vehicle.
3. Infants in backpacks or snugglies are not safe and you will be cited.
4. If you are driving a Class II vehicle you must have proof of insurance, fire extinguisher, and a valid drivers license in your possession when you are on the dunes. Please remember you can not drive a motorized vehicle of any kind on public lands with a suspended drivers license in the state of Oregon. You should also have your drivers license in your possession when riding a Class I and Class III vehicle. Also remember Rhinos, Razors, and like vehicles are Class II vehicles!
5. The access road from our property out to the dunes has new stop signs. Due to the increased traffic and potential risks of an ATV vs semi-truck encounter, law enforcement will be ticketing failure to stop. This failure goes on your permanent driving record and will result in an insurance increase at your next premium renewal.
6. 2007 saw a huge increase in off road traffic out to the dunes. Irresponsible individuals caused significant damage to Central Oregon Pacific RR property along the railroad right of way. Trespassing on the railroad tracks (use the legal crossing on Hauser Road) can result in a minimum $240 fine or your arrest for criminal trespassing.
7. 93 dB is the legal sound allowed. Again, there are local residents who are seeking any reason to close the dunes to ORV. Please comply with the sound level and riding hours to help protect our area. Law endforcement will come to Oregon Dunes KOA for courtesy sound checks. Sound control will be a major focal point for the 2008 season.
8. Remember that any citation written by the Sheriff's Department or other state law enforcement goes on your permanent driving record.
Deputy Sheriff Roberts also discussed the Rider Fit Guidelines that are being studied for Oregon.
Proposed Rider Fit Rules
A Class I ATV operator under the age of 16, must meet the following minimum physical size requirements in relationship to the vehicle:
1. Brake Reach: With hands placed in the normal operating position and fingers straight out, the first joint (from the tip) of the middle finger will extend beyond the brake lever, and
2. Leg Length: When sitting, the knee should be bent at least 45 degrees, and
3. Grip Reach: While sitting upright on the ATV with hands on the handlebars and not leaning forward, there should be a distinct angel between the upper arm and the forearm, and
4. The rider must be able to turn the handle bars from lock to lock while maintaining a grip on the handle bars and maintaining throttle and brake control.
Roberts anticipates January 1, 2009 will bring approval for the items currently under discussion..
For more information on 2008 OHV rules, click on the link!
www.oregonohv.org
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS OF OREGON DUNES KOA STAFF: (Please see the link above for the complete 2008 rule book including out of state requirements.)
1. Spark Arrestors or exhaust systems that prevent sparks are required on all vehicles.
2. Oregon honors valid out of state Off Road Permits if that state honors Oregon permits. Click here
3. Razors are considered Class II vehicles due to their weight even though they are less than 50 inches wide. Oregon is currently studying the feasability of adding another permit class that would include sand rails and similar vehicles. Until that time, these vehicles are considered Class II vehicles and subject to the laws that apply to all Class II vehicles.</end quote></div>

I can see three or four of those rules that would have disqualified that 12yo kid on the LTR450 that hit me from being out there like he was.

Wonder where the ATV Safety Course certification for the accompanying adult will be offered and how the certification will be issued...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

You can take the test hereAtv safety test
It is an online test that takes about an hour...you can take it for yourself and up to four minors. I had the girls sit down and read it with me and take the chapter quizzes and I took the final exam...

Quick Reply: NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread