Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Minnesota Riders

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minnesota Riders

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: workin_hard247
So, I am out of the loop. What happened to BS? Something serious?</end quote></div>

We headed up to Danbury, WI Saturday for a ride up to Salon Springs about 70+ miles, one way, early Friday night. (july 12) It rained about 2 inches & come Saturday morning the trails were mint.
We got to Danbury about 9ish, unloaded, & took off on some of the best trails I have seen in a long time. The ride up to SS was very fun. Later in the morning/afternoon it started to get dusty. Big-Sled (BS as we like to call him) is on his 700 raptor, me on my kfx. We were about 14 miles out of SS on are way back to the fishbowl(trailhead where we started). BS was going to lead on the way back b/c my gps skipped a beat & I lost some of our track up to SS.
I came around a corner & saw a dust cloud that was just a bit bigger than I have seen all day. I slowed down a bit & to my shock I see a girl laying in the middle of the trail. I think to myself in a split sec, "wtf R U doing in the middle of the trail???" A split sec later I see a guy standing about the same spot, just a few feet from her. Again, I was like wtf?? Next thing I see is BS's quad facing me sliding backwards. I stop, get off my quad, & I cant find BS.
At 1st I could not see him, He was behind his quad about 15 feet in a heap; his left foot by his left ear, right leg behind him (like in the splits), face down in the sand/dirt, unconscious.
Now, I know I'm going to have some say that "I should have not touched him." But when I saw the puddle of blood ooze out from around his boot & he started to choke & sounded horrible, I knew I needed to do something.
The kid on the grizzly was on his feet (but w/ a broken foot). I yelled @ him to help me w/ BS & hold his head while I set him up. As soon as I got him upright, he spit up a lot of blood & started to breath better and come around, so I yelled @ him a few times to squeeze my hand & to tell him help was on the way. This is the worst accident/trauma's scene that I have ever witnessed. I thought my buddy was going to die!!!!!!!!
The EMT's arrived on the scene, stabilized BS and the girl, and flight lifted them to Duluth. The girl fractured her left shoulder in a few places, and her boyfriend, who was driving, fractured his foot. Thank God BS did not break his leg or hip; however, he has a torn ACL and other knee damage. Also, he figured out how to fit his big mug through his opened faced helmet and break his jaw bone, give himself a black eye and some check fractures.
Actually, he is quite better looking now! LOL
When BS hit the grizzly, his raptor tore off the front tierod/tire/driveshaft/shock and pushed back the left running board to the rear tire. BS's raptor's longhorn bumper was pushed down, and back to the left into both A arms, and bent the left shock into a banana.
When I got to BS's quad, it was in third. No idea about the grizzly, but no skid marks from either party. The grizzly was way in the center of the trail. BS's left front tire (if there was a yellow line he might have been just on it).
Not sure what will happen with all the legalities, I'm just thankful everyone is alive.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minnesota Riders

How is he doing now, I will have to give him a call.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

he had surgery on his knee last week tues, I have not talked to him since...

I should call him as well.....

Tapp, James, myself, & probley mnrap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] were thinkin of riding sunday also but not sure where yet.....

Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minnesota Riders

That sounds cool, Dan and I will be going to a ATV park in Labor day weekend down in Rockford IL.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Minnesota Riders

Dang, that sucks and is scary thinking that could have been one of the others in our group last weekend riding not far from there with 4 kids on quads from 6-12 years old. Good thing he was wearing helmet, could have been much worse. Wear that safety gear and drive careful!!!!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ZButcheR

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: workin_hard247

So, I am out of the loop. What happened to BS? Something serious?</end quote></div>

We headed up to Danbury, WI Saturday for a ride up to Salon Springs about 70+ miles, one way, early Friday night. (july 12) It rained about 2 inches & come Saturday morning the trails were mint.

We got to Danbury about 9ish, unloaded, & took off on some of the best trails I have seen in a long time. The ride up to SS was very fun. Later in the morning/afternoon it started to get dusty. Big-Sled (BS as we like to call him) is on his 700 raptor, me on my kfx. We were about 14 miles out of SS on are way back to the fishbowl(trailhead where we started). BS was going to lead on the way back b/c my gps skipped a beat & I lost some of our track up to SS.

I came around a corner & saw a dust cloud that was just a bit bigger than I have seen all day. I slowed down a bit & to my shock I see a girl laying in the middle of the trail. I think to myself in a split sec, "wtf R U doing in the middle of the trail???" A split sec later I see a guy standing about the same spot, just a few feet from her. Again, I was like wtf?? Next thing I see is BS's quad facing me sliding backwards. I stop, get off my quad, & I cant find BS.

At 1st I could not see him, He was behind his quad about 15 feet in a heap; his left foot by his left ear, right leg behind him (like in the splits), face down in the sand/dirt, unconscious.

Now, I know I'm going to have some say that "I should have not touched him." But when I saw the puddle of blood ooze out from around his boot & he started to choke & sounded horrible, I knew I needed to do something.

The kid on the grizzly was on his feet (but w/ a broken foot). I yelled @ him to help me w/ BS & hold his head while I set him up. As soon as I got him upright, he spit up a lot of blood & started to breath better and come around, so I yelled @ him a few times to squeeze my hand & to tell him help was on the way. This is the worst accident/trauma's scene that I have ever witnessed. I thought my buddy was going to die!!!!!!!!

The EMT's arrived on the scene, stabilized BS and the girl, and flight lifted them to Duluth. The girl fractured her left shoulder in a few places, and her boyfriend, who was driving, fractured his foot. Thank God BS did not break his leg or hip; however, he has a torn ACL and other knee damage. Also, he figured out how to fit his big mug through his opened faced helmet and break his jaw bone, give himself a black eye and some check fractures.

Actually, he is quite better looking now! LOL

When BS hit the grizzly, his raptor tore off the front tierod/tire/driveshaft/shock and pushed back the left running board to the rear tire. BS's raptor's longhorn bumper was pushed down, and back to the left into both A arms, and bent the left shock into a banana.

When I got to BS's quad, it was in third. No idea about the grizzly, but no skid marks from either party. The grizzly was way in the center of the trail. BS's left front tire (if there was a yellow line he might have been just on it).

Not sure what will happen with all the legalities, I'm just thankful everyone is alive.</end quote></div>

Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

Oh my. That is one of the scariest things about trail riding ... the "other" people on the trail. You really never know what to expect. Last year in October I witnessed an extreme head trauma case with one of my friends, from a freestyle-stunt gone wrong. His quad killed in the air and nosedived, and it endoed on top of him. He had no memory ... period, then he started seizing. I don't pretend to know what you went through yourself, but it seemed like the hours after the accident happened were the scariest, because you start playing the "what if" games. You never want to see a buddy life-flighted out of somewhere. Thankfully, my friend was lucky and didn't die, and recovered his memory ... nothing more than one hell of a severe concussion, a broken thumb, and a ton of road rash from not wearing a chest protector. He is riding again this year ... even that couldn't keep him away from the sport.

I'm sure I'm not instrumental when I wish BigSled a full and speedy recovery...

Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BioWare

That sounds cool, Dan and I will be going to a ATV park in Labor day weekend down in Rockford IL.</end quote></div>

Got a link to that park??

Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

man o man i have not been on here in a while. Me and another guy are heading to pine center today.

how is everybody doing? Sorry to hear about BS.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

Well we took a detour and went to spider lake instead. Man what a park. Great day riding.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

Well Tapp was getting ready for school (hope your 1st day went well Bud) So he could not make it mnrap was out playing w/ himself again so he could not make it either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].. So james & I hit clark started out @ the hwy10 lot went north about 35miles turned around stopped by rock dam for a pop/snack & gas for the raptor...Back to hwy 10 lot then we headed down to lake arbutus all in all about 120mile ride, Trails we good, abit dusty in place's but not to bad.....

Quick Reply: Minnesota Riders