Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Virginia Motorsports park

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virginia Motorsports park

For all you riders in Virginia looking for a place to run your machine in a safe environment, I have to tell you about Virginia Motorsports Park at the Drag strip in Dinwiddie VA. Right off 85, and not far from 95, the race track sees many race weekends during the summer. Using the same parking and facilities, the ATV park was a big surprise for me and my sons this past week.
When I pulled in, I was greated with a friendly hello and a staff that were definately interested in making sure our experienec there was a good one. After check in, filling out the requisite forms, we were directed to a very well maintained parking area where we were able to unload, gear up and get ready for fun without having to suffer from dust, or worry about getting stuck etc. At the beginning of our ride, the staff took time to explain all the various trails, what to expect etc. They took time to show us how to read the trail signs etc... and soon we were on our way. The first track is laid out on a mostly flat open field, and is designed to get you warmed up and comfortable again. For those persons with little to know experience, you will find it especially comforting to be able to get some seat time on a track where you really do not have anything to run into, and it is challenging enough for those riders with a lot of wrinkles in the leathers too. After heavy rains the night before, there were some mud puddles to contend with, but they turned out to be a great teaching tool to this old timer as I taught my youngest the value of leaving a respectable gap between my rear end and his front end. After babtizing his brand new white quad, and his new leathers with a throttle full of mudslinging madness, he got the message quickly. Give Dad some room, or he will play you like a violin.
Soon we were off on several other trails that take you in and out of the woods surrounding the race track. There are various level trails that range from easy to medium. Only twice did we encounter serius terrain that I'l explain later..
After winding around in the woods for a while, you come upon several rest areas, and vistas... even a few hidden lakes. Places to sit and let your heart rate slow down, or watch the kids skip a few stones across glass still lakes... Definatley relaxing.
Soon we were saddled back up and racing through the trails. Every once in a while, we would catch a glimpse of the ever present trail helpers... who always seemed to know wheere all the sections were where people might get lost or have problems negotiating a section etc. That was a comforting feeling knowing they were right there if we needed them
The first challenging spot was on trail 3 as you head back to the starting point. The first is a series of natural whoops caused by erosion. You definitely have to stand to cross them or suffer the dreaded seat slap on the butt as the body gets out os sync with the ATV and you find youself floating in the air loving life and getting rudely awakened by the machine coming up as you are going down and wham, the seat slaps your mind into focus. Oh yeah, they teach that in ASI training didn't they... Guess you should stand and use your legs as shock absorbers after all.... Just ask the boy... His eyes were saucers as he almost was punted over the bars a couple times until the body caught up with the machine and he remembered to stand up just like his laughing father who just could not stop laughing at his misfortune... Ah, the lessons of life.
The second area of concern was about a 300 ft section of side hills. I do not like side hills at all. Being handicapped presents a lot of challenges.. and that is one of them in my case. But ol' DB made it through thanks to moma's new quad with independent rear suspension.
Last there is a HEEEUUUGe hill to play on. Be careful though, as there are some places there that will get you into the air when you don't expect it. Ol Junior learned another of lifes lessons about 30 seconds after I expressly told him to avoid trying to go up the side of the hill...due to lack of power and skill. Of course he had to try it anyway.. and almost made it too... but 30 ft up, he stalled it and preceeded to slide backwards down the hill. At least he remembered to grab the front brakes, so he didn't crash until he hit the flat... As he climbed out from underneath the machine, I reminded him that when I say no, I mean NO! We picked him up and dusted him off andlet him sit dow for a while and contemplate his decision process and the wisdom of his father. After what must have been an eternity to a 12 year old, I let him get back in the saddle and go play again.. albiet a little slower and wiser.

All in all, if you are looking for a place to take the family where you won't be acosted by hundreds of would be racers and where the track is designed to keep the speeds down and the fun factor up.. give them a try.

The cost was extremely reasonable, and they have rental units and an onsite training course available if you need one. Even give discounts

The three of us had the entire place to ourself and I can't imagine having a better day...

These are good people.... If you go, be sure to say hi to Stephanie, and tell her she didn't know it at the time, but she and her staff was visited by the world famous Dragginbutt and received his coveted seal of approval...