Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Royal Blue, Coal Creek, or Brimstone?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Blue, Coal Creek, or Brimstone?

Could someone who has ridden these send me some feedback. I'm planning a trip but can't decide. Tell me what you like about each and the kind of riding at each. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

royalblue for sure!!!!! lots of trails. windrock is ok some of the trails are short and you are on pavement to get to another trail. have not been to brimstone yet but hear its about the same as royalblue..so i'm going to say if you want some good riding and good views of the mountains i'll would go to royalblue.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've preferred RB and Brimstone over CC for the last several years - less crowds.

Royal Blue / Sundquist is pretty big - I think it's around 100,000+ acres now. The east side (exit 141 off I-75) has well marked trails with lots of variety. Trails go from easy to moderate. There are quite a few unmarked but legal trails that will give you more of a challenge if you want that. Lots of trails that intersect with other trails for lots of trip variety.

The west side of RB (exit # 134) has longer sections without intersections and is not as well marked. Currently there is a fair amount of coal mining and lumber work going on so there are a few main roads (gravel) that will have large truck traffic during the week - none on weekends. I've ridden this side of RB for over ten years and still can find new trails. All levels of difficulity from easy gravel roads to very technical steep hills. RB permits are sold by the state of TN and run $46 for TN residents but are much more expensive for out of state - I think about $125 for an anual pass. Daily rates are available. Don't even think about riding RB without a riding permit as the rangers have been very active in the past year - the've even got a ranger in a Razr.

Brimstone has around 20,000 acres now (State of TN took over about 20,000 in the southern half and merged it into RB and Sundquist) However, the Brimstone guys have been hard at work making new trails on the acreage that they have. All varieties of trails here too but a much higher percentage of difficult trails than RB has. Most trails are marked and rated and a map is available at the Brimstone office. Cost for a year permit is $55 no matter where you live.

Either RB or Brimstone will give you many days of riding without repeating many trails. Overall I'd say for a more relaxing ride go with RB, but if you are looking for those "get yourself a new pair of shorts" type ride then go with Brimstone.

Brimstone, Royal Blue and Coal Creek are all joined together by ATV trails if you want to hit all three. Also, they just recently changed the name of RB/Sundquist to something else - just can't remember what it is.

Jaybee

Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is double riding allowed at Royal Blue. From what I read it seems royal blue may be the best bet having a passenger and all.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can ride double at RB. There's actually very few enforced rules there - you even see many riders without helmets.

Jaybee

Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Range Rover

i seen a guy that had his kid rachet straped in a car seat their if that tells you anything. i still cant believe i saw that!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where are these places? What state?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

TN

Old 11-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

We stayed at Ride Royal Blue Campground and really enjoyed it!

rideroyalblue.com

Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

next time anybody plans to make a trip to RB look up this atv club they are a good group guys royalbluerangers.com i just joined the club and they can take you on some good rides