Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-McCoy Trails

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield-McCoy Trails

Planning a trip to Hatfield in the spring, the web site dos not tell how much out of state trail passes are. Also seeing if any buddy rode there in late April early May and what is the weather like far as rain and temps during the day. Also has any one stayed at the twin hollow campground?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Out of state passes for 08 were just under $50. They are good for a year...I went down in early June last year, it was about 65-70 deg. We rode in T-shirts most of the day. It rained over night the fist night, that was it. I think the more rain the better, it will keep the trails from getting dusty. Not sure about that campground..

Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

April is much rainier than May. Also, the temps in April flucuate more than in May. It is normally warm, but it has been known to snow.

Twin Hollow is a good campground with a phenominal view. But it does have a steep hill if you are pulling a camper!

Good luck with your plans!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

I saw that it is 50.00 for a 2009 riding pass for out of stater's. We went last May and September, May was wet and rainy, great riding, September was dry and dusty. I think it's a crapshoot.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Four of us are starting to plan a trip in the middle of May for a week. Is there enough riding from one trail for a week and if not, how close are the other trials for day trips from one campground. I really like the idea of riding from the campground like twin hollow. How many other campgrounds offer that?

Has anyone planned a trip like this that can give me some info on what they learned would be nice. We will be traveling about 9 hrs. to get down there. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

there is more trails than you can handle in 1 day! i was there for 3 days and never saw the half of it.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Turfguy

Four of us are starting to plan a trip in the middle of May for a week. Is there enough riding from one trail for a week and if not, how close are the other trials for day trips from one campground. I really like the idea of riding from the campground like twin hollow. How many other campgrounds offer that?

Has anyone planned a trip like this that can give me some info on what they learned would be nice. We will be traveling about 9 hrs. to get down there. Thanks in advance.</end quote></div>

There are not a lot of campgrounds. Twin Hollow really has the best one. Chief Logan State Park has camping and is in Logan near BearWallow/Dingess Rum Trail. But you have to trailer to the trailhead. Devil Anse Campground is near Dingess Rum Trail. It has trail access without trailering. But the cabins that it offers are primitive. I am not sure what facilities they offer. Indian Ridge has a campground. I have mixed reviews on it.

I hope this info helps you.

Trending Topics

Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

We have made reservations at Twin Hollow. They said to plan on riding two days there, and than trailer the rest of the days to see the other trails. We will be there Sunday to Saturday in May. Does that sound reasonable?

Can't wait. The atv's are sitting and ready to go. I have a busy couple of months till than at work. Will be ready for the vacation. Thanks for the info.

How important are mud style tires. Debating on buying some for the wife's atv.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

For those of you that have ridden the trails. Do you guys bring in extra gas, or do you just go to town and get. Just trying to prepare for the upcoming trip.

Thanks in advance,

TG

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

We don't take any gas. We just make our way to town to fill up.

Quick Reply: Hatfield-McCoy Trails