Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hillsville

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch yourself at Hillsville. This past sunday they were posting new signs and taking pictures of vehicles that were entering the parking areas.The guy who was taking the pictures said he works for the land owners and that the state police were going to start cracking down this coming weekend.We go through this every year , hopefully it wont last long.

Old 02-13-2001, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Where is hillsville?
Is this a big riding area????
what type of riding?????

Thanks

Old 02-13-2001, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Yes Hillsville is one of the biggest riding areas in our tri state area OH,Pa,and NY. I has several types of terrain, mud, steep hills, rolling hills, water crossings, some ohio style sand dunes, some great views, its just an all around great place to ride. Why do they try to close this place all the time? Are people getting hurt and sueing? I remember the last time they said someone died out there and then they re-opened it 2 weeks later. GOD only knows.

Old 02-14-2001, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hillsville has never officially been "open" It has always been private property. They crack down for a while then give up. Ever year they try a little harder. The land owner that I talked to said litter and idiots riding down the middle of the roads are going to be the downfall of it all. Also every year a couple of people get life flighted out of there. I'm sure in our lawyer rich society the owners are worried about lawsuits. Common sense , dont ride on the roads, dont litter, leave nothing but tire tracks. But it may be too late.

Old 02-14-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

There are some pics of Hillsville at my site. I heard the main concern was idiots drag racing down the middle of the paved roads surrounding the riding area.

Old 02-14-2001, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

MikeL, If the land owner was really serious about keeping people off the property he would put up posters everywhere and chain the parking entrances. It is my guess that the guy doesn't really mind but would appreciate some respect. Since you have talked to this guy, what do you think about asking him if he would unofficially permit a organized litter clean up of the property. Maybe if a couple hundred people showed up to take out one bag of garbage each (probably a fifteen minute job per rider), the guy might have a change of heart seeing how many of the good guys there really are out there.

You organize the event and I'll supply the bags!

Old 02-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Yeah the owner could chain off the parking lots if he wanted to but thats alot of chain. Also the litter clean up is a good idea except for a few problems 1) the area we are talking about is a couple hundred square acres of every kind of terrain you can think of 2)know the idiots around here and many that ride there, trying to organize a clean up would be hell and 3)even if you could organize something it would take at least 2 or 3 hundred people to do the job.

Now I am not ragging on the idea because it is a great one, but it is just not realistic.

Just my humble opinion

Old 02-15-2001, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Over 2000 people registered for Edinboro's first poker run!

The property at Webster was sold, Evella is posted, Hillsville is now posted, when does the time come when everyone, including the dealers, pitch in and aquire some property like the towercity bunch out near Harrisburg?

Old 02-16-2001, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

mx87trx makes a good point. They do try to block the entrances from time to time. Someone always tears down the fences, gates and signs. Only a handful of riders would even consider trying to do something like cleaning up the place. While they were cleaning up, the other idiots would be riding and making a mess.

Old 02-17-2001, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

Hillsville rocks, Last year in April they "cops" kicked us out. Only rode there a few times after. When we were there the few other times the was alot of junk, even more cars trashed out now. I dont think its alot of the riders thats messing it up. i think its the local teens and other hillbillys thats are going down there and partying and leaving there trash there.

Quick Reply: Hillsville