Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NJ & PA riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ & PA riders

Looking to find NJ & PA riders who ride Anthracite and would like to ride together. I have about 5 friends who ride, but aren't always available to ride when I want to ride. I can go anyday out of the week, provided I am free. So I am looking to expand our group. If interested respond here or PM me.

I'm going this friday to Anthracite, so if you are free and want to meet up, let me know.

If you go to Anthracite, some things to consider to bring with you is a cooler with water, drinks, ect. Extra gas (I carried a 5 gallon tank with me last time) But seeing how ATV's get like 50 mpg plus, I only winded up using little under 1/2 tank a couple weeks ago after 4 hours of riding. The place we parked and rode at has a good 5 miles worth of trails north of where we parked, and trails galore! I purchased a permit a couple weeks ago, so I am planning on riding there as much as possible all year.

I located some nice muddy areas, one was a nice mud pit that had decent amount of water in it, but was reluctant to ride in there because there was alot of broken glass around this pit. Looks like this pit was used for a shooting range as alot of debris was bullet ridden.

Anyway, hope to find local enthusists who want to join the group and ride and have a good time...

Also having a tow strap and rain gear is also a good thing to carry, the mud up there is mixed with coal dust in many places in the valley and it is very sticky.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Free almost anyday Sunday through Thursday. We don't know the area very well. Road RAC land in Treverton before we bought passes this year. I have an '07 Wolverine 4x4, girlfriend has an '08 Wolverine 4x4, friend has an '05 Raptor 660. We all work just on the weekends so weekdays are best. Free most anytime Sunday through Thursday. Thursdays seem to be the bests so far. Gonna try to map out some tracks around Saint Clair / Burma Road starting this week. Heading out around 9AM tomorrow. We're from Elizabethtown, Lancaster County. Its a little over an hour to get there with decent traffic. If you want to meet up sometime, pm me.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got some areas off of Burma Rd and over in Cass Township mapped out. Road a little over 40 miles on different trails during the day. We are riding in Cass again this Thursday if anyone wants to join us. The more the merrier. We saw one other guy on a yamaha rhino. That was it the whole day. The area seems empty during the week. Lucky for me I only work weekends.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

where is Anthracite? is it an atv park or open trails. Any cops???

Old 05-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Reading Anthracite Coal Company in Pottsville owns about 22000 acres of land. They sell access passes for $100/person per year. You need registration and insurance. The pass allows you to ride on any of their land that isn't being actively mined. It's definitely worth the price. With the pass there are no worries of being hassled by authorities. The only bad thing is nothing is clearly marked so it can be an adventure finding your way around. A gps is a plus.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
DS2
Range Rover
Question

Hey jrkimmel or Kodiak450_06,

Do either of you know if atv registration is necessary to obtain a pass for the mines? I'm getting insurance, but don't want to register in my home state (NJ) because the money is not used to promote atving. I've been there once and plan on going back again, but want to be legal this time.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

My understanding is that if your state offers registration, you need to have it. People from states that don't register atvs have to have "proof of ownership". You could call RAC to be sure, but I expect you would need nj registration.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 PM
DS2
Range Rover

Thanks for your input. Yes, NJ has atv registration. I'll have to stomach giving them hundreds of dollars to register a trailer and some machines. Not many places to ride legally around here, and my only trip to the mines left a lasting impression.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DS2
Hey jrkimmel or Kodiak450_06,

Do either of you know if atv registration is necessary to obtain a pass for the mines? I'm getting insurance, but don't want to register in my home state (NJ) because the money is not used to promote atving. I've been there once and plan on going back again, but want to be legal this time.

Thanks!
Yes you need to show your registration at the time of permit purchase, or registration and insurance for another vehicle, like a 4x4 truck, jeep, ect in order to get a pass.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM
DS2
Range Rover
Question

Thanks Kodiak450_06. Please excuse my ignorance, but did I understand correctly that I can use my SUV registration/insurance information to purchase the permit versus having the documentation for the ATV's? All my on-road documentation is legal and current.

Quick Reply: NJ & PA riders