Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tell me about Evarts, KY

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about Evarts, KY

Looking to go to Evarts in late July and wondering what the plusses/minuses are. Anyplace in particular we should try to see? Any trail we should avoid? We're staying at Black Mountain Cabins. We went to Windrock last year and loved it! The southern states by far seem to be the most ATV friendly.
Thanks in advance.
Buck

Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

The plusses: You can legally ride your toy thru town to restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. Just wear a helmet and obey all traffic laws! Go to the community fire pit at the North Evarts Campground where you'll find and meet some of the best people in the country.
The minuses: Not many, except that now in order to ride the park you must purchase a permit- $20 for a 31-day permit, and $35 for a yearly permit. You can purchase those at Buddies Chevron, which is right in front of the cabins you are staying in. Or, if you want to do a guided off-park ride for free, hook up with somebody from the Harlan County Ridge Runners ATV club, which you will find at the fire pit. Whichever way you decide, the scenery is just as pretty as heaven, and you will meet some great people. If you need more info, go to Welcome to the Harlan County Ridge Runners ATV Club! and post on the forum section-somebody will answer you shortly.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few challenging trails at Black Mountain. We've been twice . No close calls the second time. However our first visit had a couple. There were 4 of us on our first trip. Our most experienced rider and our "rookie" went down one hill on thier Ranchers that had definite PUCKER FACTOR... I'll have to get back to you with the trail #... There was a warning sign at the bottom, but none at the top. Nobody got hurt, but I'm glad I didn't have to go down it. Our rookie is my dad that's in his upper 60's. The other close calls all involved him... I need to work with him a bit before our next trip.

Our second trip grew to 6 people and I don't think it's gonna shrink this year...

What kinda machines will your group be riding?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

We'll have two King 700's, a Vinson 500, a Rancher 420 and possibly my son on his raptor 90 (on some trails). My son is the reason I'm asking. He's sort of skeptical about going and I'm not sure about taking him. Not sure of how many trails he can and can't ride and whether he'll complain about the one's he will ride-lol.
Thanks for all the answers.
Buck

Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

When I was a kid, I would have killed to get at trails like these... Your son could just be afraid of the unknown.. Get a map and stay on the easy (green) trails when he's with you. For sure talk with the Ridge Runners, they can help you plan some routes.

If your son is not into riding the ATV, don't take him, there's not much else to do. If he likes to ride he'll have a blast. How old is he?

They have it all there, as easy or as hard as you want. We stayed @ the Black mountain cabins on our first trip, we wanted to stay there again but they were full...

When you check in @ the chevron ask them about the atv trail from the cabin to the chevron. They'll probably tell you about it anyway. It keeps the dust down for the neighbors that are close to the regular driveway. Anyway that trail is a good "tester" for your son. If he can go up and down that trail without problems or complaints, he shouldn't have problems with any of the green trails and most of the blue ones should be fine too.

Last edited by LOANSHARK; 05-18-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider

The reason I ask about the trails is because we went to Windrock last year and some of those trails were wicked and fun for us but if he would have had his own ATV I know he wouldn't have made them. They weren't even listed as difficult-lol.
By the way, he's 8 years old and he'll be on a lil Raptor.
Did you like the Black mountain cabins? I heard that was a great place to stay and the people there are very helpful.
Buck

Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Range Rover

Yes I'd go back to the Black Mountain Cabins in a hearbeat... Make sure the kid has a good helmet, he might surprise you...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

I have been to Evarts twice, LOVED IT!! The people are great there the the HCRR will make you feel welcome and take you on a great off park ride. The difficulty of the trails varied from the two times I was there within the park. There are spots on the green trails that the 90 may have a bit of trouble. I have a 9 year old that has an Eton 90 and what I do and recommend becuase you know his riding ability is go there first by yourself so you can get a feel for the park and take him the next time around if you feel his abilities and the machine can handle the terrain.
You could also take him and the little raptor and get one of the boxes with the seats built in for him to ride with you if you chose to take him and feel the trails are too advanced once you get there. It is legal to ride 2up on a single seat ATV there.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I will go without my son this first time to get a feel for it. Good idea.
Sounds like this is a great place to go. Only problem now is waiting til the end of July!
Buck