Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sproul State Forest, (central Pa.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 10:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning an atv run at Sproul in a few weeks with about a dozen quads and I'm curious to know whether anyone has done this area and it's pros and cons.

------------------
Steve Small, 00' 400ex, 00' 325 Trail Boss for the Mrs.

Old 08-18-1999, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Never rode there, but has been wondering about it myself, I would like to try to get up there and see how it is !! Make sure you post what you think about it !! I am very curious..

Exer_95

Old 08-25-1999, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been to Sproul forest and it had some fun riding although it seemed to be a short day. Good scenery. It was a couple of years ago so I,m not sure if they have extended the trails.

Old 08-26-1999, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

I have been to Sproul on several occassions. I whole heartedly give this ride a thumbs up! If you like hillclimbs then this is the place for you. The great thing about this area is that the whole area is open to ATV's, you don't have to stay on a designated trail except in a few designated areas. Very scenic. My only complaint is that it can be very rocky in some areas and it can do a number on your rims (even my .190's). This trail has it all from easy scenic riding, to some mud bogs, to some breath taking hillclimbs. You can spend an entire day and not get bored. Have fun, you will go back I promise you that!

------------------
Scott Colson 98 Scrambler 500 91 Yamaha Moto 4 250

Old 08-31-1999, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Well, we made the trip and had a blast. I agree with Scott, the riding is wide open and trails are plenty. Definitely not a short day, as we rode all weekend and never crossed a path. Hillclimbs are awsome!...mostly hard pack coal dust from many moons ago. Lotsa rocks and tricky washouts. Had a buddy blow an Ohtsu sidewall on a hillclimb in "the pit". That spoiled his day, nearest bike shop is an hour drive. Make sure you're legal and have a free camping permit...the rangers were in full force on Sun. They are nice but they do play by the rules. Biggest complaint is the gookie coal dust watery sludge that takes a power wash to clean the machine. Lots of play areas for the guys and trails and flats for the family too. Not many people compared to Marienville...maybee 20 riders all day! Location is off of rt120 just west of Ronovo. Accessable from rt 80 exit 17 from 255 to 555 to 120 to Ronovo. Pack a lunch, it's a haul but it's worth it. Search the forestry on the net for a # and info.

------------------

Old 09-01-1999, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

Steve,
Glad to hear that you had a good time. I am starting to think that this is PA's little secret because it is never crowded. I've gone to Marienville before and could hardly move it was so packed. I forgot to mention to bring your own repair equipement. I have fixed a tire on a quad everytime I have gone there (never on mine though - I always get my rims!) I also bring a large toolbox filled with anything you can imagine. It sucks to drive that far into the woods and then break down. Going back?

------------------
Scott Colson 98 Scrambler 500 91 Yamaha Moto 4 250

Old 09-01-1999, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Is there any place to camp im from upstate ny ill travle but i need a camp ground close by

thanks

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed

Ride safe today,because to ride again tomorrow is Righteous!!!!

Old 09-02-1999, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

BigMike, you can camp AT the trailhead as long as you pick up or send for a FREE camping pass...just to have a head count cause of so much acreage out there. We only had three groups of campers at the trailhead...some young, some old, an older couple even rode their dogs on the rear!

There's also a mud hole out there for you that will swallow your "lifted" machine whole! Guys with bigfoot kits had a tough time...black, gooooy, coal swamp muck.

Pull up the Sproul State Forest on the net to get the # for the rangers for maps and a pass. Do go, it's worth it. Watch out for "the pit", first steps a killer!

------------------