Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy Trails suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy Trails suggestions

I am planning a traip to Hatfield McCoy trails in November with a bunch of buddies. Some of them dont have an atv so they are looking to rent while out there...

some may stay a week and others just a few days so there is no way we will be able to hit a quarter of these trails. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what area we should try? After I figure out what area i will have to find a decent cabin to stay at. So suggestions on that appreciatted too. I also have to keep in mind some will have to rent atvs. We are looking for some good trail riding, most will have 2 wheel drive (400ex) and a polaris rzr so mud bogs are not really our thing.

I looked at their website, but i am looking for suggestions from who has been there and what they recommend.

Any suggestions Much appreciated!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

We have been to Hatfield McCoy a few times. We have ridden Little Coal River which is according to them the easiest riding. We stayed at Kathryn's cabins. Randy the owner is awesome and will take care of you. You can ride right to the trail head from his cabins. He has a link off their web site. He has 4 person cabins and a couple of mobile homes. I have ridden rockhouse also. A little more challenging. I live in Ohio so it is somewhat of a drive down there. Little Coal river is about 30 minutes or so south of Charleston. Lots of great riding and the last time we were there trails were marked pretty well. Hope this helps!!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

We were just there September 12-19. We stayed at Browning Fork Trailhouse and thought it was great. It is on the Rockhouse Trail. That one is said to be a little more difficult than some of the others. I'm pretty new at ATV's, about a year and this oldman didn't have too much trouble. Even rode a black trail #28. It wasn't bad except for a long steep rocky hill with a turn half way up. We also trailered the quads to Pinnacle Creek, beautiful scenery along the creek, Buffalo Mountain, a lot of interesting things to see around the old coal mines, and Bear Wallow. Weather you stay at Browning fork or another place around there, I would suggest Rockhouse. It is centrally located so it is within 45 minutes of several other trails. Little Coal River is on the northern end of HMT, so you don't have the variety nearby. We did like Rockhouse the best of the four we rode. A great day is ride over from Browning Fork Trailhouse to Gilbert for breakfast, then ride to the other connector to Mann, then back to the Trailhouse. We had my 800 Sportsman,my sons KFX 700, his wifes 250 Can-Am (both 2wd sport bikes), and her mom and dad on a Arctic Cat 650 2X and had no problems. Any way you do it, you are going to have a great time, and meet some of the nicest people you have ever met. Go to the HMT website Hatfield and McCoy Trails - Hatfield-McCoy Trails Official Web Site- Home Page join their forum and you can find all the information you need.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Nov. Riding

We are planing a ride in nov.(9-13). My brother-in-law and i are planin to start at the callalantee trails in mountain city,tn. And finish in west vir. We're planin to ride the pinnacle creek and indian trail sysyem. If your ridin about that time maybe we'll see you,we're taking my rv so we'll be campin.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

I've heard nothing but good things about Browning Fork Trailhouse. If you end up staying in a motel, the Mountain Breeze is the way to go. Great atmosphere.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Gilbert W.V. browning fork trails

thats were we go and stay at Big bear Lodge
the whole town and the trails are awesome

all the folks are great whats up Marty ( browning fork trail house) Marty's a great guy nice places to stay

we like Big Bear the Jeff,Tina and Kendra are the BEST! whole house to yourself right in town

the trails and views from the trails is amazing there are different trail heads to choose from. just see how far away you are from the actual trail head

what an amazing time to be had

Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Range Rover
Default Stone Creek Lodge

My wife and I spent the better part of a week down there last June and had a blast. We stayed at the Stone Creek Lodge. First let me say that the room was clean, and the people there were nice. There was also a diner right across the street with some KILLER chicken fried steak. And the have a car wash right next door. Now for the down side. The parking there is minimal (If you have a trailer over 20 ft you might be in trouble). They are in the town NEXT to Gilbert so you have to ride along the highway to get to the trailhead (very scary with the logging trucks flying past at about 60Mph). Over all if I had to do it again we probably would stay in Gilbert or Man (Man has some really good food) just because they are right on the town connectors. Have fun a post some pics when you get back!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Oldman800
We were just there September 12-19. We stayed at Browning Fork Trailhouse and thought it was great. It is on the Rockhouse Trail. That one is said to be a little more difficult than some of the others. I'm pretty new at ATV's, about a year and this oldman didn't have too much trouble. Even rode a black trail #28. It wasn't bad except for a long steep rocky hill with a turn half way up. We also trailered the quads to Pinnacle Creek, beautiful scenery along the creek, Buffalo Mountain, a lot of interesting things to see around the old coal mines, and Bear Wallow. Weather you stay at Browning fork or another place around there, I would suggest Rockhouse. It is centrally located so it is within 45 minutes of several other trails. Little Coal River is on the northern end of HMT, so you don't have the variety nearby. We did like Rockhouse the best of the four we rode. A great day is ride over from Browning Fork Trailhouse to Gilbert for breakfast, then ride to the other connector to Mann, then back to the Trailhouse. We had my 800 Sportsman,my sons KFX 700, his wifes 250 Can-Am (both 2wd sport bikes), and her mom and dad on a Arctic Cat 650 2X and had no problems. Any way you do it, you are going to have a great time, and meet some of the nicest people you have ever met. Go to the HMT website Hatfield and McCoy Trails - Hatfield-McCoy Trails Official Web Site- Home Page join their forum and you can find all the information you need.
Glad you enjoyed your stay!