Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sand Mont vs. Comp Hill.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-1999, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to find out if Sand mount in Lt Sahara Ut even compaired to Comp hill in galamis CA I've ben to the one in ut but i keep hearing about the ultimate hill in ca.
I would like to hear from some one who has been to both and can compair them.

Old 09-04-1999, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

I've neber been to Utah, but a few friends who have said it wasn't very challanging. Comp hill at Glamis sucks compared to some of the hills at Dumont dunes (near the CA-NV border, by Baker CA). Comp hill sucks compared to Oldsmobile hill at Glamis. Dont believe the hype, its nothing special!
Brandon
ps-there are some good shots of Dumont on the Huevos Grande video!

Old 09-08-1999, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey if you want a comp hill then go to Sand Mountain in fallon Nevada. Its just as steep as dumont but its about 150 to 200 feet taller.

Old 09-08-1999, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comp is pretty small. Olds a bit bigger. The tallest and steepest that I have found is China Wall or at least that's what I call Hill 6. We used a GPS to measure its height at over 300 vertical feet and verified that using a topo map. It's also as steep as the hills get. Sand blows down the hill on a regular basis. If you can, access one of the internet geological survey sites and look up the location you're interested in. It should give elevation data so that you can at least compare the relative heights of the hills you're talking about.

Put it this way, a sport quad without paddles could make it up Olds and Comp without a problem, but wouldn't make it up China Wall unless it had paddles. Even then it's a challenge.

For really big hills, try the Cinders near Flagstaff AZ. 100 dollar hill is at least 600 to 800 vertical feet and steeper than anything in the sand. It's base is also at about 8000 ft elevation, so power loss is tremendous. Your average 250R w/paddles won't make it to the top. Just riding down that hill is a rush.

Old 09-10-1999, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I spent 80% of my riding time at little sahara in Utah and heres a few facts for you. Sand mountain is approx. 750 vertical and the chutes to the left of its main drag are pretty steep. this makes it one of the longest sand inclines around, so far as I understand. In addition there are 60,000 acres (almost 50,000 of that dunes) in the riding area (this according to a friend who works for the state surveying for maps) It is an awsome place to dune, and I feel fairly underated, which is fine with me. I should just tell everyone it sucks so we can keep it for ourselves, but the truth is that its a great place to ride.

utah 400ex 300ex

[This message has been edited by utah (edited 09-10-1999).]

Old 09-11-1999, 05:55 PM

You guys must have a totally different idea of what verticle is. To me verticle is when your at the top of a hill and if you look down you can't see anyone coming up unless they are at the bottom. Thats verticle... Only place I've seen a dune like that is out at Dumont (right behind comp to be exact) As for steepness, the dunes of Glamis are nice to ride but the vert factor on Comp and Olds is nothing like Dumont. With Comp at Dumont, for every 10 feet foreward you gain about 3 feet in altitude. At Comp in Glamis for every ten feet foreward you gain maybe 1.5 feet in altitude. These are not precise measurements but a guesstimate.

Sand Mountain in Nevada is a big steep hill (not vert) but I wouldn't make the trek there unless I was local. It's the only hill there and after an hour would probably be pretty boring. Oh and it's still not as steep as some of the dunes in Dumont. Just longer (maybe)

------------------
'96 Banshee, '86 250R 4TRX, 2 '83 185S

Old 09-28-1999, 04:35 AM
Trailblazer

I've got a pimped out Banshee which regularly makes it to Pismo and Glamis. Recently I went to Sand Mt. Utah and that's a DAMN STEEP HILL!!!! It's literally a mountain that has a layer of sand on it! Stock Banshees with paddles couldn't come close to making it up the "chutes".

Old 10-05-1999, 05:53 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks jeff,
Next time your in utah go to the dunes south of sand moutin there are some big bowls out there.

Old 02-21-2000, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer

Me and a bunch of buddies went to Sand Mt UTAH last weekend. It rained, snowed, and hailed on us. Me and Capn Shiner are the only Banshees that made the far left chute all day(he made it once I made it twice). Best riding I've ever done!

Pictures coming this week on http://communities.msn.com/atv

Old 02-21-2000, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you really want good hills St Anthony dunes in Idaho are the best. Chokecherry is one of the steepest dunes in north america. And devils is one of the longest you can hit the bottom of the hill wide open 6th gear

Quick Reply: Sand Mont vs. Comp Hill.