Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Black Hills Trails

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50" gates? That really stinks. I have a Polaris Ranger that my wife and the kids ride in that is 60" wide that now they cannot ride on your trails along with me (on an ATV). Oh well. I guess SD doesn't want my business! I went to Colorado this summer anyway and found that they are MUCH more ATV/offroad friendly.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

There will be some trails for over 50" wide, just not as many miles as for ATV's.
50" is the norm for all of the western trails, with some trails for over 50", it isn't just S.D.
The way the greenies are attacking the western mountains, just be glad there are trails at all.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I went back to stock. Nothing worse than coming up to a gate and the quad is too wide! What a way to kill you day!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

The Black Hills Travel Management Plan is final. It will take effect 12/1/10. However by then most of the trails will be closed for snowmobile only.
I will try and give everybody a quick summary.
Wyoming Trails:
All of Wyoming "trails" are for 50" and less. There are roads open to all vehicles.
You will need a $15.00 Wyoming trail sticker. (avalible at local dealers and venders)
County roads with-in the Forest will require a licence plate (street legal), insurance, and drivers licence.
South Dakota Trails:
South Dakota "trails are for 62" and less. However there are few of these and most are open to all vehicles. So be carefull !!!
You will need a $25.00 Black Hills trails sticker. (avalible at Forest Service Offices)
Forest Service "roads" with-in the forest will require a licence plate (street legal), insurance, and drivers licence.
Please note the difference between "trails and roads". All trails will be marked with a brown pole with the "TR" and the number of the trail. You can ride any and all "trails" with only the sticker, but main F.S. roads will require "street legal".
There will only be camping allowed in designated camp areas and only with-in 300 feet of a road.
The "offical" maps showing trails and roads and each designation are now out and are availble at area Forest Service offices.
You can also go to Black Hills National Forest- Home/ and download the ruling and maps.
Hope this clears up some of the new rulings.
I know this is a mess, but we will all get use to it over time. I hope.
I am just the messenger!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot..................
There are rumors about that South Dakota may in-time, offer a tempory licence plate to non-residents that can not legally licence an OHV in their state. So this would help out-of-state riders be legal to travel F.S. "roads".

Just remember that if you are riding the Black Hills in South Dakota and cross the line into Wyoming on a trail, you must have both the Black Hills sticker and the Wyoming trails sticker. I know this sounds like it could be expensive.....2 stickers and a licence plate..........but us that live here do that anyway.

$15.00 Wyoming trail sticker
$25.00 Black Hills trail sticker
$85.00 Wyoming licence plate for '07 Rancher ( and I have two)

Just remember the sticker fees are going to help maintain trails and keep them "OPEN" for everybody to enjoy.
Atleast the greenies didn't get closed for good.
Respect the land while you ride and enjoy your visit.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

Get them Polaris Sportsman 500's dirty. They always look better dirty :P

Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Tramp! Keep us updated on the Hills. Especially if you here anything on the out-of-state temp license plates. Looking to make a trip out there this summer. Hear there will be 700 plus miles of OHV trails. Nice. I'm all for paying for a sticker to ride. Look how much it benefits MN and WI Atv trails. The out-of-state license plates would be real nice so that we can ride into town to get gas instead of carry it. Hope everything pans out.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I'll keep you posted if I hear of anything on the temp licences. I think when this new plan gets going that "trails" probably will get expanded into fuel stops and c-stores to atleast accomdate the riders without plates. It is gonna take some time to see how it all pans out.
When you come ..........Hope you have a great time mburk18.