Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Black Hills Trails

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Hills Trails

We are new to the atv world, my wife and I just bought 2 polaris sportsman 500s. As my son lives in Rapid City, we are hoping for some good riding with them this coming season. Now I have heard stories about trail closures in the Black Hills area, but have not heard anything official. Does anyone know anything yet as to what the Forest Service plans are.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

I live in Sioux Falls, SD. I was in the Hills in Sept. I stopped by Forest Service in Custer and got a map. They said that new maps will be made before Dec. I'm going to try and get out there this April and get a new map. I'm sure the new map will have less trails on it from last years map. But, I heard there was going to be some closures too. At least 200 miles or so, I think.
200 miles isn't much in the Black Hills considering there is about 5,000 miles of trails. Granite there has been closures, but still plenty. The Black Hills map indicates all forest Service roads and single path. The map is like 4 ft tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. Pretty ridiculous but easy to find trails. My understanding is that the trails are not marked good or marked at all.

I too am in the same boat. I've never wheeled but will be headed out there this summer. I hear Wild Bill's Campground is one of the better ATV Campground/Spots in the Black Hills.

If anyone has any information about the Black Hills trails, campgrounds, please share your info. THANKS!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

i will be out there may 16 to may 22 be 3rd year going out there seems like no one wants to give up any info if they live out there. the first time we went we just road around looking for trails and used a map to make sure we were in areas that were ok or we hoped so any way. I always stay just south of rapid city at hartranch been member there since i was a kid my parents got it when they first opened and now i use it for atv trips to stay in cabins they have worked with us for riding atvs out or were we can park pick ups and trailers. if any one wants to ride with us in may hit me up and i will post any info as i know it and when i get back.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Rumor is that they will have ATV trails only sometime here in 2010. Don't know when, DNR doesn't disclose anything.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Black Hills

Forest boss unveils off-road plan

This is some info my son sent me via the middle east. Doesn't sound horrible, but it does sound like trails will be properly marked. My Wife and I are sooo anxious.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:08 AM
Range Rover

So if i just ride the forest roads i should not need the permit i have a plate i pay for a licens just like i do my truck i drive out there if i dont ride the trails i should not need the permits or they going to make it even tuffer and 20 for a week or 25 for a year well i bet most will buy the year. dont know if i like it or not.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blackhills trails

Sounds to me 25$ is cheep. Sounds like what we get are maintained and well marked trails. The bad part maybe extra amount of traffic on trails, impatient operators, and possibly more accidents. Hopefully this wont take the fun out of trail riding, due to some careless & thoughtless operators.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for that news letter aa8shot! Good to hear that nearly 707 miles of ATV trails will be open this summer! Do we have a clue when the official opening of the trails will be?
I do think $25 is cheap also! Wisconsin is $35 for a year, and I think Minnesota is around $20 for a year also. So, $25 sounds about right, especially the fact your riding in a Natl. Forest.
This definately is exciting and I'm looking forward to making my way out there as soon as there complete.
Definate thanks to the Blacks Hills and the ppl who made this possible!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alot of my friends and I are going on a trip in June, we are going to be staying at Mystic Hills Campground near Deadwood, alot of my friends went last year and said there where plenty of trails and only a few spots where going to be closed this year.

MysticHillsCampground, ATV, Vacations, Travel, Trips, Touring, Mountain, Lodging, Camping, Black Hills

Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

The Black Hills National Forest Travel Management Decision (Alternative B modified) was just announced a couple weeks ago. They are now in the 45 day appeal process. Depending on the appeal,(if the greenies object to the decision), some trails will or should be open this summer. In the S.D. side of the black hills, unless your quad is street legal and licenced, you will not be allowed to ride on alot of the major F.S. roads. You will only be allowed on designated trails and getting the trails marked will probably take most of the summer. Most of the trails are somewhat short in distance and getting from one trail to another will require you to load and move by trailer to the next trail (unless you are street legal), not alot of the trails are connected. Since S.D. does not have a OHV permit system like the snowmobiles have; the F.S. will implement a permit (sticker) program to fund the development. Don't know how long this will take.

However on the Wy side of the hills, You will be able to ride on major F.S. roads with only a Wy trail permit (avalible at various OHV sticker dealers). However on the Wyo side of the hills all the trails will be for 50" and less. However the major F.S. roads will be open to all street legal and non legal vehicles. However you will have to be carefull that you are not riding on a county road that is within the F.S. boundary.

The maps for the decision are out, but the maps for the general public are not. This may take several months to get out as well.

So in general.....everything is still the same as has been (open unless closed). Not sure when the new Travel Management Plan will take effect. Best I can get anyone to say is "sometime this summer", depending on the appeal process. If the greenies get envolved it may be.......who knows when.

You can go to, Black Hills National Forest- Home
and download the maps for the decision for both the S.D. and Wyo Black Hills trails.

Quick Reply: Black Hills Trails