Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

just booked at northern outdoors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forwhldrv
ordered the parts yesterday supposed to be here by may 13 my wife wanted to know if there was any place to ride to for lunch and gas from there and if they are trails or 30 foot wide dirt roads roads to ride on
The trails in that area are perfect for the leisure rider. In that general area the trails are not challenging. They are great for the family. They are all pretty much all logging roads but there are a few areas that are not and need to take caution. The trails I am referring to are mostly connecting trails.

As far as riding for lunch it depends on how many hours you plan on riding. There is not much in that area. A nice ride that will take you a good part of the day would be to a place called Bulldog Camps. They have a website. This location is one of the most scenic places around. They are located just south of Jackman. The access trail to the location is mostly down hill and is not bad but there are a couple of areas that you need to take it slow. Nothing major. A suggestion if you choose to ride there and that is to call first and make sure they have gas and are serving lunch. One day we rode there they didn't have any gas!!! From that point on I never ride in that area without an extra full 5 gal on the back.

Another suggestion would be to ride into Jackman. There is gas and a few options for food. All within the ATV trail system. This is a longer ride by about 1.5 hours over taking the ride to Bulldog.

Gas options from Northern are limited to say the least. If you head North, which is what I suggest if you want to stay on well marked and family friendly trails, you can get gas at Berry's market. You can get to it from the trail and there are well marked trails pointing you in the right direction. It's off the main trail about 1/2 mile. I have been up there deer hunting only to find they had run out of gas!! Another time they closed at like 6pm. Keep this in mind. This area in general is very remote so be prepared for anything.

If you head North towards Jackman there is a section of trail that is rough. Not gonna kid ya. It's very slow going for about 3/4 of a mile but once your through it your good to go. The trail actually cuts through a clearcut and there are stumps and roots. The wife will be working for a short time.

Gas and food options north of Berry's is Jackman (sure bet).

Here is another suggestion if you want even easier trails to ride. Trailer the ATV's up to Jackman and leave from there. You can offload right behind the Polaris dealer as the trail is right there. There are a ton of loops east of Jackman that you can ride. A nice ride from Jackman is up to the border. We usually pack a lunch and when we get there usually stop and fire up the grill. Round trip it's about 5 hours. No gas options in that general vicinity so make sure you carry extra. Trust me. This is big woods and know it well. You don't want to get stranded in this area. From Jackman your options for gas are Rockwood, Greenville and Pittston Farms. Pittston Farms is a nice day trip and you can get lunch and gas there. There is an access trail they just made last year that is tricky in some areas but it doesn't last to long. Rockwood and Greenville would be a very long day. Especially to Greenville and back. I did a 5 day ATV trip in that area last fall and it took us about 7 hours to get into Greenville. Once you leave the Jackman trail system the trails get slower and tighter. Not all but there is a good mix.

Heading south from Northern towards Bingham the trails slow down and are not marked as well. You can get gas and food there as well. Personally I like the trails in the Jackman area as most are wide and well marked.

Hope I answered your questions. If not let me know.

Joe

Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SageBoy
The trails in that area are perfect for the leisure rider. In that general area the trails are not challenging. They are great for the family. They are all pretty much all logging roads but there are a few areas that are not and need to take caution. The trails I am referring to are mostly connecting trails.

As far as riding for lunch it depends on how many hours you plan on riding. There is not much in that area. A nice ride that will take you a good part of the day would be to a place called Bulldog Camps. They have a website. This location is one of the most scenic places around. They are located just south of Jackman. The access trail to the location is mostly down hill and is not bad but there are a couple of areas that you need to take it slow. Nothing major. A suggestion if you choose to ride there and that is to call first and make sure they have gas and are serving lunch. One day we rode there they didn't have any gas!!! From that point on I never ride in that area without an extra full 5 gal on the back.

Another suggestion would be to ride into Jackman. There is gas and a few options for food. All within the ATV trail system. This is a longer ride by about 1.5 hours over taking the ride to Bulldog.

Gas options from Northern are limited to say the least. If you head North, which is what I suggest if you want to stay on well marked and family friendly trails, you can get gas at Berry's market. You can get to it from the trail and there are well marked trails pointing you in the right direction. It's off the main trail about 1/2 mile. I have been up there deer hunting only to find they had run out of gas!! Another time they closed at like 6pm. Keep this in mind. This area in general is very remote so be prepared for anything.

If you head North towards Jackman there is a section of trail that is rough. Not gonna kid ya. It's very slow going for about 3/4 of a mile but once your through it your good to go. The trail actually cuts through a clearcut and there are stumps and roots. The wife will be working for a short time.

Gas and food options north of Berry's is Jackman (sure bet).

Here is another suggestion if you want even easier trails to ride. Trailer the ATV's up to Jackman and leave from there. You can offload right behind the Polaris dealer as the trail is right there. There are a ton of loops east of Jackman that you can ride. A nice ride from Jackman is up to the border. We usually pack a lunch and when we get there usually stop and fire up the grill. Round trip it's about 5 hours. No gas options in that general vicinity so make sure you carry extra. Trust me. This is big woods and know it well. You don't want to get stranded in this area. From Jackman your options for gas are Rockwood, Greenville and Pittston Farms. Pittston Farms is a nice day trip and you can get lunch and gas there. There is an access trail they just made last year that is tricky in some areas but it doesn't last to long. Rockwood and Greenville would be a very long day. Especially to Greenville and back. I did a 5 day ATV trip in that area last fall and it took us about 7 hours to get into Greenville. Once you leave the Jackman trail system the trails get slower and tighter. Not all but there is a good mix.

Heading south from Northern towards Bingham the trails slow down and are not marked as well. You can get gas and food there as well. Personally I like the trails in the Jackman area as most are wide and well marked.

Hope I answered your questions. If not let me know.

Joe
thanks we are still looking foward to the getaway don't think the wife is gonna be up for more than a couple hour trip at a time but we will see thanks for the info