Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

West Virginia Riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-1999, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I don't live in your part of the state, I will make a comment concerning quads in State Parks and in the Monongahela National Forest (MNF). I firmly believe that there will never be any type of motorized recreation allowed in the MNF, simply because there are too many tree-huggers and environmentalists that live in that part of our fair state. 2 weeks ago I had occasion to drive through a portion of the MNF with my quad on a trailer, and the dirty looks and accusatory(sp?) stares I received amazed me. I have often used the MNF to mountain bike and fish/hunt, but in MY OPINION (yours may vary!) many people in certain parts of this state view the MNF as THEIR property; not mine, yours and theirs and are adamently against any use that they don't agree with. Similarly, there will never be any authorized ORV use the State Forests because the people in charge of bringing out-of-state tourists view ATV'ers as nothing but drunken hillbillies who are too ignorant and/or unintelligent to be permitted anywhere near someone from out-of-state.
However, I see great hope in the future, and I believe that the Hatfield-Mckoy system will open many eyes, both within the state and around the nation.
Again, these are my opinions, and yours may vary.

Stephen

Old 11-14-1999, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your commets, all are welcome. I was beginning to wonder if there were any WV ATVer's on this BB. I don't disagree with your assessment but what a shame it is. When I see what is available in other states it makes me sick to see how little is available in WV. The real shame is that I will very likely be spending my dollars out of state when I would much rather be spending them in state.
Still, I can't totally blame the "powers that be." If enough people raised the right kind of hell, things would begin to change.
I do think one of the problems is that there are so many trails to ride on unposted timber and coal company land that people don't see the need to challenge the state for more trails (read any trails). Finding new trails is by ear from friends and acquintences. Everybody seems to want to keep their known trails quiet to reduce the risk of the land becomming posted. Can't blame them but it sure would be nice to have more options, maybe some with real toilets and "God forbid" running water!
Sneeky