Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tasker's gap/Deer Hunting/Gun Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1999, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i really really wish i could have made the trip... u guys let me know about future plans, and i'll try,,

bill, that's what ive been told is that i went on a bad morning to go, it was fairly wet, no deer, no nothing. i might try again one of these days just for grins...

but on these guns, if you've every looked at some of the laws, they are pretty amazing. like one weapon might be legal, but if it had a black stock on it, it's illegal... go figure... that's what i call "look laws"... which in my hand book is very close to "thought laws"... but we won't go there...

i say "OUTLAW GUNS AND ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS". only people that follow the law will be affected by gun laws.

2cents.
-brian.

Old 11-29-1999, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Will do, Brian!

Tasker's Gap is probably a bit too far for a weekend excursion all the way from SC. Its in the pointy headed part of Virginia - Waaaaaaayyyyyy up north. If you like rocks, though, its well worth the trip. My favorite part of it was a huge, deep mud bog. It apparently had truck tire tracks in it, which made it even deeper. Of course, Steve Thompson was able to navigate it, and every other bog they had. I didn't have waders on, and since there were no showers at the camp site, I declined my opportunity to dip into the middle of the Grand Bog. If you go there, take a gas can with you on the trails. The road from the camp ground to the ORV area was 8.5 miles. For every trip, that's 17 miles of riding by itself!

There were plenty of four-wheel drive trucks on Rocky Road, and plenty of deer hunters. Everyone was very friendly and cordial. Over Fri and Sat, we just heard 3 or 4 shots, which surprised me since we saw at least 15 deer hunters there. Steve spotted a big buck Saturday night, but the only dead deer we saw were two does by the side of the highway - killed by cars.

I am not very familiar with SC trails, yet. We have NC trails not too far from you. I would recommend Wayehutta, if you like whoops and hills, as well as some great views. Uwharrie is another NC ORV area near you. It is not far from Charlotte. It has some challenging trails where you will need a winch, as well as some good mud bogs and steep hill climbs. It has a lot of rocks, but nothing like Tasker's Gap, so before traveling to Woodstock, Virginia, you might want to test Uhwarrie first. We have discovered a number of trails in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area, which are not institutionalized trails, such as the National Forests, but which can be ridden without objection. I am hoping that SCman and his crew will ride with us in the near future. You may want to come, too. Keep us posted.

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 11-29-1999).]

Old 11-29-1999, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

I am glad I was riding a bigfoot Scrambler! I had a blast, the trails seemed to go on forever. We went one direction for many, many miles and we finally came around the side of the mountain and headed back, I thought we were going to run out of gas but we had plenty. I forgot to print a map before we went so we had to guess our way around, somebody cut the trail map off of the ranger board and no maps were available. I took my 99 Polaris Scrambler 500 with no low range over everything thrown at it with no problems plus I had 25" inch tires all around and I stayed in two wheel drive except at the big mud hole and my belt never slipped. When we first got there the main trail from Little fort campground to Tasker's gap trails looked like only trucks were riding on them but when we were ready to leave you could tell atvs had been there. Instead of two wide tracks where the rocks got cleared from there were two tight tracks. I hit my skid plate two times barely and took two dings to the rims, althought not everyone riding will clear the rocks. On the night rides when I was following Clay, he gave me quite a bright show by giving me the privalige of watching all of the sparks fly off of the bottom of his King Quad he would hit the unavoidable rocks. The rock garden was fun, you had to look ahead and plan the path cause these were serious rocks. Sometimes you could hardly tell which way to go over these rocks cause there were so many. The trill was trying to ride over these kind of technical rock gardens in two wheel drive without spinning a tire or hitting bottom, well I could make it without using awd and without bottoming out but both front rims did take one smack each, no biggie. There were very nice bridges and great views, it was neat to see how the trails connected from mountain to mountain. If you like riding rocks this is the perfect ride, you don't need 4 wheel drive if you have alot of ground clearance and experience, very good mountain trails but suprisingly there were not that many inclines for being in the mountains. I would go back with more people but be prepared there are many rocks, not like uhwarrie rocks that bash the crap out of your rims but rocks that you ride over (if you have the clearance). Every ride we did took about 4 to 5 hours and used most of our gas. The scariest part of the whole trip was going up and down the one lane very steep and twisty, blind corner, straight drop off ledge road that lead from town over the mountain to the campground. I liked it alot but you got to remember I am a hardcore atver and I haven't found a trail yet that I didn't like. I can't wait to get home and ride myscrambler tonight, I just got my new longer FMF bolts for my tailpipe so I can put all of my 22 discs and quietcore in it. I am very excited!

L8R,

Steve

Old 11-29-1999, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, about SC trails, i personally haven't been on any good ones.. though the second i cross the NC or GA border, the trails are great.. not sure why this is,, i guess SC just maintains all it's off road trails too much.. to much maintain makes a boring trail... u know what mean.. in fact i was near western carolina two weekends ago camping.. so i'm always willing to travel to NC to ride...

-b.

Old 11-29-1999, 06:59 PM
Range Rover

TheBoy,

Go read the "Where in North Carolina" thread under "Where to Ride". Lots of good places not that far from you. The group I am a part of is not to far from you. Most of us are in and around the Greenville/Spartanburg area. We are kinda laying low until spring as far as major trips go. (ie: multi-day, camping) We go over to the Sumter National Forest ORV alot on Sundays. It is off Hwy 71 off I26 near Clinton. Not too challenging, but it beats riding around the back yard. There are some great mud holes/trenches there though. Let me know if you are interested in joining us sometime, and I'll keep you posted on our activities.

You're right about SC trails. Not much to pick from. Kagey may know of some down his way.

[This message has been edited by SCman (edited 11-29-1999).]

Old 12-07-1999, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

IF YOU GO TO TASKER'S GAP:

Camp in the parking area.

We camped at the camp ground. It was 8.5 miles from the ORV area. That meant we had to drive 17 miles every time we went to and from the trails. On the other hand, the grand bog is near the camp ground. It is maybe 3 miles from it, so if you want to do a lot of serious mudding, keep that in mind. I thought the bog was the best attraction at the Gap. Don't do it alone, or you may gain a similar experience as that of Andy Basham in his thread in Other ATV Topics, "Only ankle deep, but I dove in head first." Remember, there are no showers at the camp ground, so be prepared to be REALLLLLLLLL MUDDY! You might want to take one of those camping showers with you, or just find a nice room at a motel and enjoy a long, warm shower afterwards, maybe with, say, Julia Roberts... nah,... better be with your wife.

GET A MAP OFF THE INTERNET. There were NO maps at the ORV area. Some desperate soul used a pocket knife to cut down the map posted by the NVTRA and kept it for his own personal use.

If you have fancy aluminum rims, they will get dinged. The rims on my Suzy KQ apparently are tougher, and they survived the rockfest fairly well.

Get as much ground clearance as possible. If you have adjustable shocks, make them as stiff as possible. My Suzy KQ was on the second softest setting and my skid plate paid for it. I saw another KQ which shocks had been adjusted to the stiffest setting, and it had at least 2 1/2 - 3 inches more clearance.

Look out for deer hunters. They are everywhere. They will run out in front of you, if you're not looking!

Good riding!