Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

does anyone ride ATV`s on snowmobile trails in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A LOT of the twin cities riders cross the St. Croix River and go into Wisconsin to ride in the winter time. Danbury, WI is a prime staging area and quads can be seen on the trails over there on any given weekend. You can drive all the way from Danbury to Iron Wood, Michigan!!!!!

Probably the best "hassle free" riding in the Midwest.

Old 03-14-2001, 07:49 AM
Range Rover

brokemybanshee,

Can i have those pics to look at?

Old 03-14-2001, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Here in PA there are some dual snowmobile and ATV trails. This is in the Marienville, PA area trails. But if it gets too warm they close them, for everyone. You definetly need to check with your local law enforcment or state agency to find out for sure. I love riding on legal trails in the snow.

Old 03-22-2001, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Can ATV's ride on snowmobible trails in MN????

To clear this up, ATV's may operate on designated snowmobile trails as long as the trail is within the road right-of-way. Once the snowmobile trail leaves the right-of-way and goes onto private property ONLY snowmobiles are allowed, unless the ATV rider has permission from the private landowner...
Ref: MN Statutes 85.018 Sub 5 and Sub 7
Hope this helps
Take care and drive safe
Thanks

Old 03-23-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Contrairy to what adamniemen says here in Iowa the law says ther must be a mesurable amount of snow on the ground, and you have to stay within the right of way of the road, or in groomed trails. Source: Iowa snowmobile and all terrain vehicle regulations booklet. So basicaly the state considers atv's to be snomobiles. The down side of this is that we can only legaly ride them in the winter with exception of the four state ridding areas in the southeast corner.

Old 03-24-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Bummer. I won't be moving to Iowa in the foreseeable future.

Old 03-24-2001, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

I ride my sled and atv in NY state and in Ontario,Canada. In NY you are NOT allowed or wanted on any state maintained-groomed trails or in any of the state parks on your atv. Locally all our trails are on private lands and the snowmobile clubs have all gotten together and talked the land owners in letting them post the trails NO ATVS!! One club is very big and have purchased an atv for the Sheriff dept. to use to keep the atvs off the trails.Up in the Old Forge area we were stopped on a lake, by a NY State Plice helicopter flying over. They landed and told us that they had a complaint and if we were caoght on the trails we would be arrested, fined and our machines impounded. Needless to say, we left the area via roads. In Ontario its the same thing. If youre caught on the trails (which on a sled, costs $150 can/year to ride) they arrest you and fine you big time! We asked a police officer about the atvs and he said its not hard to trail them from point a to point b! But on the other hand up there, the rule is-when the groomers cannot grom anymore for lack of snow, then atvs may use SOME TRAILS-notice I said SOME!! One good thing about Ontario is last year they formed a province wide ATV Association and this has opened up over 20,000 miles of trails to ride!Last year was the first year in history that the industry sold more ATVs than Snowmobiles.

Old 03-25-2001, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

My buddy and I put on 200 miles this weekend on the snowmobile trails in the U.P. of MI. So far this winter I've put on almost 1000 miles on my H.O. Anyway, according to the head DNR guy for the U.P. ATV's are allowed on ALL U.P.groomed snowmobile trails unless posted otherwise. I have only seen one sign so far and have tried to change the city ordinance to allow seasonal access. Winter riding is great and ATV's do no damage at all to the trails, however, if you get on a trail that's torn up from sled's (up and down moguls), it sucks. I don't think atv's could ever do that to trail.