Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

does anyone ride ATV`s on snowmobile trails in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know your not suppose to ride ATV`s on sled trails. I`m in MN I`ve seen lots of people doing it. I own sleds and wheelers. Does anyone ride on snowmobile trails in the winter? What does the DNR say if they see you? I have only done it about 3 times when snow conditions havent been great. I`m not trying to advertize breaking the law, I just want to know what others have experienced. Thanks

Old 03-09-2001, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Jason454,

I am from Iowa, so I don't know about the law in MN. But, I can tell you a story about this topic.

The law states that ATV's can ride the snowmobile trails if the snow is 3" or less in depth. Thats not that much snow! But, if there is 3" or less, the trail is CLOSED, so there is a gray area and no one that I have talked to knows the truth.

We have never had the DNR after us, but I do know that when the sled trail gets muddy in the spring, do not ride them cuz people get pissed as most the trails go throught private lawns and fields! Better talk to your local, friendly DNR for a better answer. Good luck!

'96 Scrambler w/K&N filter & Boyesen Power Reeds

Old 03-09-2001, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

Jason454,

If its a GIA (Grant-in-Aid) trail, then ATV should not be on them. There are dual trails but they are limited. Best to let the rockets rule and keep the slower traffic off until spring.

Old 03-10-2001, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

In Michigan we are allowed to ride snowmobile trails as long as they are not groomed ones.

Old 03-10-2001, 04:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

In North Dakota our local snowmobile trail follows the river through the trees but is own by farmers and they keep there cattle in there in the summer and have it fenced off. so it wouldn't be possible for us to ride our atv's there unless we could get a club together and put in cattle crossings if the landowner would allow it. I doubt that will ever happen though. I would think that there would be a few trails in minnesota that you could ride on. does anyone know of any that ould be close to ND.

Old 03-11-2001, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

We do here in SE Minn. We were stopped by an officer just last weekend. He told us that we had to get off the trails. We politely ask the officer to show us the law or tell us exactly what it was or how it was stated. He then told us the he didn't actually no of one so he let us continue on or way. Snowmobilers do pay a little extra to have some trails groomed. When we know we are on a groomed trail we do take a little extra care in riding so not to tear it up.

Old 03-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

We ride the snowmobile trails here frequently. As long as you are registered you can ride on the snowmobile trails. Even the groomed ones in the state parks. That is nice riding.

Of course this is not without confusion. ATVs are not allowed on snowmobile trails that are specifically marked for "NO WHEELED VEHICLES." The weird part about it is that the state parks are closed to ATVs in the summer (which is a whole other b1tch of mine) and there are signs at the trail junctions that lead to the state parks that say "NO WHEELED VEHICLES." But since this leads to a state park where I know I am allowed, I assume this to be a sign left over from the summer. So then... it is a natural assumption (and in my mind a virtually fool proof defense if stopped) that all of those signs are left over from the summer.

I have never been stopped (riding where I wasn't supposed to be) so I haven't had the chance to try it out. I am curious though.

The ATV clubs here are working on getting the snomobile trails opened year round. That's about 2500 miles of trails.

Old 03-12-2001, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I ride on the snowmobile trails (ITS82) up here in Maine. Almost every other day, not suposta ride on them but I have a friend that lives like a mile out in the woods and technically its his driveway... Nobody says anything, but this could be cus Ive lived here for quite a while and its a small town. Its fun but hard on the machine.. also coming up on snowmobiles sucks cuz the rear end is so wide I cannot go around they have to, always get dirty looks... Cannot go around cuz it will not go on snow that is not packed. I have some pictures of the trails, they are mint, if you would like to see them let me know Ill post them..

Old 03-12-2001, 11:43 PM
TQO
Trailblazer

I'm not sure about other states, but Michigan is a big sledding state and if ATVs ride on the trails, not only will somebody get hurt, you may end up with your *** full of buckshot.

Our snow is usually too deep in the UP for bikes, even on groomed trails.

In the summer, our trails in the UP (with some exceptions) are generally open. We are also allowed to ride on the right of way of non state and federal highways. This opens up thousands of miles of trails for bikers. They just have to wait until the snow leaves.

Rich
Tahquamenon Hotel
Hulbert, MI

Old 03-13-2001, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sure, I've rode atv's on snowmobile trails. Where I'm from theres no groomed trails and the police might be out once in every three weeks, so you're ok. The only bad thing is, we get alot of snow so PEOPLE get stuck alot.

Quick Reply: does anyone ride ATV`s on snowmobile trails in the winter?