Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WAYNE NAT'L. FOREST

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll have to forgive Mike, he's getting a little gray on top, and maybe inside, too. On Saturday, we did get over TO Dorr Run, but weren't able to ride. But Saturday night we loaded the Ruby up, and took it to a car wash in Nelsonville, just to clean the radiator (not the whole bike). I had ridden at Perry State forest a week or two previous, and kept putting off cleaning the bike, right up to the point where I loaded it up to go to WNF. So it was mostly delayed maintenance. It ran fine all day Sunday, and we were able to ride Dorr Run. Even after getting home, it was almost completely adobe'ed up again!
Man, but I have two wishes when it comes to riding. I wish that all ATV'ers would stop looking at just their front wheels, and start checking up the hills before starting to drive up them. And especially on muddy conditions, the folks coming DOWN the hill have a much harder time trying to get stopped, while you are blasted UP the hill. And please, try to remember not to stop in the middle of the trail, but flair out to the side, as much as you can, as well as not coming to a stop inches from the rider you are following! When we have to shuffle our bikes past each other, when they're parked nose-to-tail, it's much more difficult to manuever. Leaving some room gives us some flexibility in moving around.
My second wish is that the darned 2-wheeled bikers woill learn some patience, as well as lose some of their arrogance. We ran into all kinds of impatient bikers driving through or around stopped quads, including one time that involved an injured rider (the trail was blocked to prevent someone hitting the downed rider). Another example was a dad riding with his young son, who came up a little traffic jam on the hill. While we (3) were working out how to get around the 7 riders going up the hill, he turned around and took off in a spray of dirt. Less than a minute later, I had made it past everyone else, and pulled down the hill, looking for a place to pull over till Mike and my wife cleared the others. Well, at the bottom of the hill is a little MX'er on one of those Suzuki 50's, trying vainly to turn his bike around in a muddy section. I stopped my quad, got off (he had fallen down in the meantime), picked him up, picked up his bike, and turned it around (the way his dad had headed). While I was making sure he was okay, and he was getting back on his bike, he dad slids to a halt, jumps off his bike, picks it up and turns it around so it''s heading back up the hill, and starts telling the kid to get on it. The dad tells the boy that he'd decided it would be longer to ride back, than to wait for the hill to clear. The son asked why they couldn't just go up the hill, and thedad says "Because there's a bunch of TRACTORS blocking up the hill!" The hill is now clear, so his son takes off up the hill, and dad follows him, spraying mud and dirt behind them. Now, I want you to realize he NEVER acknowledged me, looked at me, or said thank you for helping his kid back up after he fell. Hey, I used to ride on two wheels, but I never acted like an elitist, or that I was annoyed that ATV'ers were on MY dirtbike trails. Man, I was fuming!

Old 04-24-2001, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Rubicon

I feel your pain from our two wheeled friends down at Wayne. I have nothing against dirt bikes, just some of their riders.

First, the trails are not meant for racing. I don't know how many times I came around a corner last year (sticking to the right), only to come face to face with two dirtbikes racing. Guess what boys, if there is a collison, my overweight Magnum is going to win.

Second, on our trip last August, we had a group of dirtbikers that would come up behind us. Being my wife is just getting used to riding hills, we gladly pull over for faster riders. I let them pass only to pass them a mile down the road having a smoke. 15 minutes later, they are back on our buts again. Again I let them pass only to see them a mile or so down the trail having another smoke. 15 or so minutes later they are again back on our buts, except this time I kept them there until we got to the main corridor parking lot (about 5 miles). I think they finally got the point.

Sorry you had to see all of the @sses. Most of the dirtbike riders are good safe riders, there is just a few that think they are better than the rest of us on our atvs.

Old 04-24-2001, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

We attempted to get to WNF to hook up with some of you guys!!!
Didn't make it any further than SR 345 though!! 2 of the guys coming with us hit a deer (one deer was hit by 3 vehicles!!) 2 miles down SR 345 and one guy had to have his truck towed back home..the deer destroyed his radiator and everything behind it!! After almost 2 hours at the "wreck site"....we just went on down the road 10 minutes and rode at Perry for a few hours.