Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a great idea! I'll head over to the hardware today and put a set on both our wheelers. That could be a life saver, or prevent a very serious injury, like when the tire gives way, when flying down a tight trail, crashing you into a tree or about to head down a steep hill flipping you and the quad over on its side tumbelling you both down the hill. Happened to my buddy 3 years ago, busting his pelvis in 6 places, when his heavy sportsman 4x4 flipped over, heading down a steep hill, sending them both up in the air throwing him off, then the 4x4 tumbled and bounced 2 times before pounding down on him as he was struggling to scoot down the hill, trying to get away from its path. It was like the machine was possessed because after it finally got to the bottom of the hill, it ended up right, still running, then came at all of us with the accelerator stuck on, chasing all of us like a fire breathing monster, until my son caught a quick moment to flip the key off! That's one thought I'll never get out of my head! Sorry about being so graphic, but that's just how fast things can go very wrong, and sometimes it could be something as simple as that little nut, that could cause all sorts of havoc!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry I missed your question country rider, about the maintenance for the 450. I have researched this machine to death, after I bought it, and my other quads as well. The 4 strokes including the 450's, I have read many times where their neglected for years and still with no issues. I replace the oil and oil filter every other hard ride. Shell ROTELLA T 15W-40 Motor Oil, 1 gal. White bottle jug. Is dirt cheap, and everyone sells it, walmarts $12 gal., Sams, gas stations, hardwares. You can get about 3 changes out of a gal. jug. You can read, like me for days researching this oil and always gets 5 star ratings! Never any neg. stuff at all! Its used in almost all vehicles, including diesels. You can change it more often this way, and everyone says its just as clean coming out, as it was going in! I buy the filters, 6 at at time on Ebay and keep them on hand.
As far as valve adjustments for the 450. Many have said they have ridden theirs for years without needing to do them. It's not a hard thing to do when needed. I've done a few, and even had to pull the valves for cleaning when the bike started smoking from the exhaust, and I'm glad I tried it myself, since the dealer wanted $600, and only took me a few hrs., plus now when I need it done again, It will be even easier. Don't be afraid to get your feet wet, the more you do to your quad the easier it gets, and you'll be proud to know you did it yourself! Good maintenance pays off in the long run!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-tracker
Sorry I missed your question country rider, about the maintenance for the 450. I have researched this machine to death, after I bought it, and my other quads as well. The 4 strokes including the 450's, I have read many times where their neglected for years and still with no issues. I replace the oil and oil filter every other hard ride. Shell ROTELLA T 15W-40 Motor Oil, 1 gal. White bottle jug. Is dirt cheap, and everyone sells it, walmarts $12 gal., Sams, gas stations, hardwares. You can get about 3 changes out of a gal. jug. You can read, like me for days researching this oil and always gets 5 star ratings! Never any neg. stuff at all! Its used in almost all vehicles, including diesels. You can change it more often this way, and everyone says its just as clean coming out, as it was going in! I buy the filters, 6 at at time on Ebay and keep them on hand.
As far as valve adjustments for the 450. Many have said they have ridden theirs for years without needing to do them. It's not a hard thing to do when needed. I've done a few, and even had to pull the valves for cleaning when the bike started smoking from the exhaust, and I'm glad I tried it myself, since the dealer wanted $600, and only took me a few hrs., plus now when I need it done again, It will be even easier. Don't be afraid to get your feet wet, the more you do to your quad the easier it gets, and you'll be proud to know you did it yourself! Good maintenance pays off in the long run!
Thanks for the reply and I completely agree. Thats why I have been learning how to fix this stuff and watching a lot of youtube videos on fixing ATV's. Do you mind giving me a brief explanation on how to adjust the valves and were exactly they are?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

You can download the manual for free, or buy a used manual off ebay, to save money. You might want to wait until after you buy your next ride to save yourself time and money. I havent had to do valves on the 450 yet, so until I ever need to, I would hate to give any advice on this model other than for anyone to wait until repairs are needed, but it wouldn't hurt to read up on every part of a vehicle before and after buying one. A good place to start if your really interested is the TRX450r.com forum. I have learned so much about this quad through them, and It's only, just about the Honda 450r's! You can't read enough. I've always said the more you read the less you know lol or at least it seems. Just kidding.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard about people using Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil in a lot of different ATVs, but not the Rotella T4 dinosaur oil. They come in completely different weights. What weight is a TRX450r supposed to have?

Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

These comments are directly from Honda TRX450r owners that have used the shell t4 white bottle for years with no bad reviews or results that i've found, and like many have said if changed regularly it comes out as clean as going in. I copied the comments below.

There have been a ton of threads on this topic as of late. You can find them by doing a search through the search engine. Most all the guys that have been on here for a while, will say to go with the Rotella oil. Way cheap compared to the honda oil, and seems to work just as good, if not better. I use the honda oil now, but plan on making the switch.
Look up in the search directory.... see any negative response? I don't see any.

You can find the rotella oil at sam's! 50 bucks for approx 5 gallon! Just bought 2x of them and i just made a big saving. I'm all set on oil now ooohhh such a good feeling!

I just switched to the white bottle in both sides and i pretty happy with it.

My friends run the rotella and they swear by it.

Running white bottle in both sides of mine, have not had any issues.

White bottle 15w-40 in mine. Changed after every 2 rides no matter how long they were and it's just as clear coming out as it was going in!

I've used white 15-40 both sides for a year or more with no issues... i change my engine side every 8-10 hours and trans every 15 hours or so and the old oil still looks good when i take it out, on both

If you like piece of mind you should def switch off of the honda oil unless you are overpaying for the synthetic stuff. The regular honda oil is complete trash, breaks down super quick and is cheap crappy oil, for about the same price as the cheap honda oil you can get the white bottle shell and be set. Remember, just because you ride a honda, it doesn't need honda oil- honda isnt the company making the oil, it isn't designed specially for a honda engine or anything like that.

These are just a very few of the good reviews I researched before switching over. You can give your views as well, i'm all ears plus your never too old to learn a new trick lol Everyone has their own special connexions and views, that's why I spent days on just this subject. Very important indeed!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Moto Psycho

No doubt it's good oil. I was just wondering what weight the owner's manual said to use.

My ATV is completely different so it takes different oil. 5W-50 all year at any temperature I'll ever see, but full synthetic 0W-40 would probably work just as well. When I rode an average of 1,000 miles or so a year, my oil got changed twice a year. Roughly 50 hours between oil changes, and I never had any engine problems. It would suck to have to change it every 8-10 hours when some rides last longer than that. Now I don't ride as much and it's only changed once a year.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

Another great place to camp/ride is W. of Rose City near Clear lk. at Ambrose lk. atv campground. From here you can head out in every direction to many places.This is the first place we started out at, with our first trx200sx in 86. We have camped here every year since. The camp lake is crystal clear, with a small sandy beach area, with many campsites right on the lake. You can ride from here out S. on piper lk rd. 1 mi. to a real ''extremely challenging'' hill climb. Head N. 3 mi. to Wagon Wheel area with a good mix of sand, trails, hills. Then N from there 3 mi. up to the gravel pits with good climbs there. Leaving out of camp 3 mi. W to city of Clear lk. for gas, food, restaurant, store. Heading S.W. from camp, 12 mi. to St Helens trail system or S.E. out of camp to West Branch 12 mi. away. You'll never get bored here! Great place to wake up to, with a fresh cup of coffee in hand, with a terrific view of your surroundings! Heading there soon, hope to see you all there!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by 4-tracker
Another great place to camp/ride is W. of Rose City near Clear lk. at Ambrose lk. atv campground. From here you can head out in every direction to many places.This is the first place we started out at, with our first trx200sx in 86. We have camped here every year since. The camp lake is crystal clear, with a small sandy beach area, with many campsites right on the lake. You can ride from here out S. on piper lk rd. 1 mi. to a real ''extremely challenging'' hill climb. Head N. 3 mi. to Wagon Wheel area with a good mix of sand, trails, hills. Then N from there 3 mi. up to the gravel pits with good climbs there. Leaving out of camp 3 mi. W to city of Clear lk. for gas, food, restaurant, store. Heading S.W. from camp, 12 mi. to St Helens trail system or S.E. out of camp to West Branch 12 mi. away. You'll never get bored here! Great place to wake up to, with a fresh cup of coffee in hand, with a terrific view of your surroundings! Heading there soon, hope to see you all there!
Did you see post #16? When we went there last summer the sign at the entrance said ATVs weren't allowed to ride into Ambrose Lake Campground. So you can't ride out of the campground to the trail either. Not if you want back in anyway.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know of any campground in michigan where you can ride inside the campground area. The campground is connected to some ORV trails so you can drive your four wheeler or bike to the trails.

Ambrose Lake State Forest Campground Professional Review and Guide

"Situated on the eastern shore of Ambrose Lake, the campground has a boat ramp. The best sites, of course, are the ones located right along the lake, roughly a third of the total sites. Some sites are on a back loop deeper in the forest and offer more privacy. All of them have decent shade. Anglers will find panfish and bass. Nine miles of ATV trail have a trail- head on-site and connect to the Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail. Ogemaw Hills and Rose City offer other off-road opportunities."

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch