Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RAM EZ-Strap Handlebar Rail Mount for Garmin nuvi 40

Last edited by 4-tracker; 08-06-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thinking about doing something like this, installing it on our trailer (that we haul our atvs on) that folds flat under the quad during transport, then opening it up, after unloading atv, keeping the tent off damp ground, snow, ice, cold. 10' x 10' dim., once sides are pulled out. Plenty of room for small heater, between bunks.

my garmin nüvi 40, w/ $26 atv handlebar mount

Old 08-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Jumbofrank.. your showing your age when you can remember the "round a mount" name!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Jumbofrank.. your showing your age when you can remember the "round a mount" name!
4 tracker just pickuo an enclosed trailer and convert it to a camper, then you hace solid walls for insulation and bad weather. Haul the quads and have a safe sleeping area. Fuel on your van wont be much different. I get about 14-15 mpg pulling a trailer with my Blazer, but I get 10 mpg on my notorhome pulling my trailer with my SxS so for a few more gallons of gas, I can have it all!

Old 08-14-2018, 12:38 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I got one right after I got my Garmin GPS12. The last software update available for it was 15 years ago, and the one before that was 20 years ago, so yeah, it's been awhile. Whatever they want to call them they're great mounts. And my Garmin still works! RAM mounts and Garmin go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Updates & Downloads

GPS 12™

Unit Software

GPS 12, Ver. 3.53, as of Apr 03, 1998, Download Compatible with versions: 3.50-3.52

GPS 12, Ver. 4.60, as of Aug 04, 2003, Download Compatible with versions: 4.00-4.57

Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I wished we needed a GPS. I have one, but forget to take it most times. It would be great to get lost once in awhile! We've been beating these trails to death since 86! We want to do the 75 mi loop next trip, but its just a short straight jog, hopping from town to town w/ well marked trails, looping around back to camp. We still sometimes take a trail map though, but its just to give those riding with us, an idea of where we're going. It also helps to pay attention to the suns location w/ the approximate time of day, along with road crossings to stay on course, in case you ever accidentally veer off the main trail. Simple compass may come in handy as well. Don't leave home without it! lol
If anyone would like to try a challenging, rough, maze like trail, pull up the Ambrose Lake to Ogemaw Hills Trail map. Starting out from St Helen, head s. e. down to knoch rd orv trail, crossing the tracks on the 313 trail, heading east passing Dow rd, then around in a n. e. loop crossing over Fairview rd. for about 3 miles, then hop back across Fairview again swinging n. w. up to Clear lk./Ambrose lk area for gas & snacks, if needed. Leaving there heading e. crossing Faiview rd. then turning n. up to wagon wheel, there heading w. on heath rd. 5 miles to beaver trail heading s. all the way back to St Helen. Close to 50 miles depending how many times you leave the trail, which is easy to do! Terrific, breathtaking terrain elevations, but real rough in places, just pass the tracks!
Along the way grab a burger n cold one, at Clear lk. bar n grill, or hit up the corner store for a great breakfast, w/ entrance behind the store, if pulling into town early. Good luck!
If anyone knows of another equally challenging trail, hopefully with lots of difficult trail terrain, let us its location! I'll be glad to explore it.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

''Still looking'' Ain't giving up!! for buddy/friend to ride with, preferably over 50, to have more in common, but I keep up with the grand kids, too! lol I can buddy up with the slowest guy in a pack, or pass anything on the trails, and everything in between, as long as I'm up north camping, cooking on open fire, trail riding, hill climbing, eating out at local diners, FRESH AIR UP NORTH!! etc. etc. doesn't matter as long as i'm out of dodge here in the city, and eating great northern sand, is fine with me!! I'm an early riser, but ok w/ your schedule to sleep in, is OK too! If this ain't you, tell a friend that's just sitting around starring at the walls, giving up on ever riding again, and have him get in touch, asap!! still a few great weeks ahead, but time is definitely not on our side!! We can sit on our duffs all winter, but not now!!
Gladly share equally with the entire trip, as always! thanks Steve

Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Just Discovered A New Trail
Hope to try a trail north out of St. Helen, covering close to 100 miles round trip, depending on how many play areas we visit, along the way. lol We've done many parts of this trip, but never covering the entire trip, all in one run! Starting out north from St. Helen, the trail follows just east of St Helen rd. north to Luerne, taking on fuel, goodies, tour of the town, then head east thru Mio over to Bull Gap area loop, then south passing by, but not stopping at pink store, making it into Rose City for final fuel stop, grub, whatever's, then west across Heath rd. until it suddenly starts to turn nw, then turning south to Rose City rd. where you can either follow the rd into town, on green lk. rd. or head back to camp, at the corner of Rose City rd and Grass lake rd. going s.w. on Beaver lk. rd. back to camp! whew!! That took a lot out of me lol Really looking forward on tacking this rout, real soon!
And if you too , would care to make this trip soon, get in touch, and lets get back up there ASAP, already!! I HATE WINTER!!

Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Planning on going back up next weekend if all goes well. Weather is looking good so far! low 80's with plenty of sun in the forecast! Doesn't get better than that!! Cant wait to get back for some serious trail riding/camping/good friends/good food/sun/fresh air....I am sooooo ready!!
And I'll be ready to head back again soon, if anyone needs a friend/buddy for more of this type of our Michigan narcotics! that mysteriously keeps drawing us back lol Hurry!!! winter is not that far off!
Thanks Steve

Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed, very interesting thread

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch