Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WAYNE NAT'L. FOREST---Logan, Oh.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad

We are heading down to WNF on Sunday the 1st and riding until Tuesday. We will be staying at Camp Ohio (unless its overfull, then we will stay at Williams Dump). We will look for you out riding. I will be on a 2001 red 400ex and my buddy will be on a red 2001 Scrambler 500 2x4. We both have red fox riding jerseys. As for the gas question, there is nowhere in that area to buy gas directly near the trails. My suggestion would be to take a gas can in a truck and leave it at the new straitville parking lot. When you get to that end, everyone refill. When you are done riding for the day, go pick up the truck. Kind of a pain. I have heard of other people "hiding" gas cans along the road crossings and then going back and getting the empty cans later. Both options are kind of a pain. Does anyone that you ride with have a utility quad that you can sucker into carrying gas? I have ridden Dorr Run twice. It is kinda a long ride from the campground and you have to watch how many of the loops you ride or you will run out of gas on the way back. I wouldn't mind hooking up with you so that you can show us dorr run. We tend to get confused on all of the loops. Later and ride safe.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Banshee---- My suggestion is to leave fuel at Monday Creek. There is a nice lady there that runs the refreshment stand. She may let you leave fuel with her. It is close, but my 450-S will go from Williams' camp, thru the Dorr-Run Loop, and back down the M-C(home). I guess Raptor loves gas, huh?

Old 06-26-2001, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Most of us ride Utes, with exception of a Polaris TrailBoss.

Old 06-26-2001, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

I usually ride the Main Corridor loop to Snake Hollow, over to Dorr Run. The last rock hillclimb before you cross 278 has gotten quite hellish over the last year. We just trailered to Long Ridge two weeks ago. It was a nice area.

Old 06-26-2001, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

--Quadfather--Long Ridge can be quite challenging in wet conditions. It is tight and technical. Guess that is why you see so many Enduro bikes over in there. 2 mo. ago, RubiconBob and I found the trail from the Main Corridor to Long Ridge loops. I don't think it is a legal trail, but it appeared to be very heavily used!
There is a way around that nasty little "staircase" you spoke of,near SR278. I use it when there is a line of riders trying to go up/down it!

Old 06-26-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

MagnumMudMan,
If you see a pack of yamaha quads, mostly warriors raptors and banshees, thats us! We have 2 blue raptors, a red/yellow banshee, and 4 or 5 warriors going. (So far, probably more) If you have a GPS I will post the coordinates to our campsite... feel free to stop in and say hi. Maybe we can work something out with a gas trade, that way you can spend more time on dorr run loop. We know that side of the park like the back of our hands, we can really show you around.

TheQuadfather,
I agree 100% with you about the rock hill right after 278, it's a b*tch. There is a gravel road around it, but the rangers are really cracking down on using it. A couple bags of cement to fill in that one really bad spot would do the trick, but the rangers won't do that either. Something needs to be done, I'm tired of walking my raptor up the hill! The damn utils however general go straight up it.

And finally, does anyone ever terraserver around the park? Kinda cool to look at the trails from space. Here is one of our campsites. Terra Server Camp

Old 06-26-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< --Quadfather--Long Ridge can be quite challenging in wet conditions. It is tight and technical. Guess that is why you see so many Enduro bikes over in there. 2 mo. ago, RubiconBob and I found the trail from the Main Corridor to Long Ridge loops. I don't think it is a legal trail, but it appeared to be very heavily used!
There is a way around that nasty little &quot;staircase&quot; you spoke of,near SR278. I use it when there is a line of riders trying to go up/down it!
>>

TRX450, we go around the bad hill by turning right on 278 (going from Dorr towards the main corridor), then turning left on the gravel road about 200 yards up the street. Follow that around to the coal pits, is that the way you go around?

I know have 2 different trails to get from Main corridor to long ridge, but last time one was all bulldozered up, we spent a good bit of time making it past all the down trees. This has happened within the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Old 06-26-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Banshee---- Yep that's the way around the staircase rock hill. It is called, apropriately, Loop Rd. I run that road to a left turn into a illegal trash dumping area. It is probably the same trail you are talking about. Tell me more RE; the TWO trails to L.Ridge loops. The one I found goes in/comes out at the &quot;THINK&quot; sign on the M-C, about 1 1/2mi. from the &quot;pop-shack&quot; at Mon. Creek. There is a &quot;sweeper&quot; turn in the trail, and this &quot;connector&quot; comes into the M-C at this point.

Old 06-26-2001, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

TRX450,
Ya, we call it trash dump road, didn't know the real name. The same way we go around.

The &quot;think&quot; sign is one of 2 ways to get to long ridge. If the think sign is the same one I am talking about, coming from monday creek you'd have to almost do a 180 to get back on the trail to long ridge, and if you followed the real trail it'd sweep down and to the left. I'm sure we are talking about the same spot. I was up riding 10 days ago, the 15 to the 17th, and that trail from &quot;THINK&quot; to long ridge is a horror now. Someone came in with a bulldozer about half way across and downed about 50 to 100 trees in the way. We got around it but we spent a bunch of time (and gas).

The other way I am not 100% sure how to do it, but we came back it last week, we plan on mapping it with our GPSs better this time. I know this much: Starting at monday creek head towards the main corridor, At the road (the road that's right next to the creek) TURN right, go about 75 yards and turn left on the gravel road (you can see thr gravel road from where it's legal to cross). Go .67 miles and you'll see a trail that heads up a hill (on the right), it's kinda steep but it's not horrible. That leads to long ridge and it's not bulldozered anywhere.

We tend to spend a lot of the time exploring, and find outlaw and legal trails to get to and from. The way back from long ridge via the gravel road was a COMPLETE accident. We were just screwing around, got lost, so I pulled out my GPS and saw we were only .67 miles from where the consession stand is located. We came down the gravel road and I knew right where I was.

Old 06-26-2001, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Brad

I will definitely look for you around Dorr Run. I don't have my GPS (Dad borrowed it), but if you can give us a generally area, we may be able to find it (truck/trailer descriptions would help). You definelty know the area better than we do as we are still newbies to WNF. We also take the shortcut around the staircase that goes down the dump road. I hope the park rangers don't start writing tickets for using the alternate route. I am not about to take my wife down or up that hill. The first time I did that hill was at night. Talk about fun. You are welcome to leave gas at our campsite at CampOhio. If you find yourself low, stop in, we will always take care of fellow riders. Hope to hook up with you guys. Later.

Quick Reply: WAYNE NAT'L. FOREST---Logan, Oh.