Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

St. Anthony, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I plan on going out to St. Anthony, Idaho this summer in July with the atv club that im a memeber with. Has anyone been out there and if so how are the dunes and will my AC500 sink in the sand. I really would like to go on the trip, but if im just going to have a bad time and every 5 ft im going to sink it might not be worth it. Also are there any trails in the area that i would have more fun on.
Any help is good
Thanks

Old 06-12-2001, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I've only been there a couple of times so I'll tell you what I know with my limited knowledge. Your Cat should do Ok, it won't be sinking every five feet, but Unless you plan on putting paddles on it don't expect to hill climb much. You can have a blast in the bowls though. It's also nice when some other machine breaks down and they beg for a 4wd to drag them out. There are trails throughout the dunes that can be travel by all machines. Some are quite extensive and fun. Also some can be quite challenging just because of the looseness of the sand. 5 foot loose hills can really raise the pucker factor when you get near the top and the sand starts sliding backwards under you. Just backup and get a faster run at it.

Overall I think you should be able to enjoy yourself. Also, in Idaho helmets are not required. The dunes do require that you have a flag of at least 4 ft above the highest part of your machine.(ATV's only)

Old 06-14-2001, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

What is the nearest town to ST Anthony's ? Have heard about it and would like to go there sometime, trying to find the mileage via mapquest. Thanks

Old 06-14-2001, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Rexburg is a couple of miles south of the dunes

Old 04-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default St. Anthony, Idaho

St. Anthony is a great place to ride. One of the best in my opinion. You won't sink all the time if you know what you're doing. If you stop facing up hill then of course you will bury the back end, but other than that it's good. The sand is white quartz so its perfect to ride on and packs down well in the rain. Most out of town people stay in Rexburg and drive the 10 miles to the sand, but there is Egin lakes... free parking and access. Thats your best bet if you're camping and don't mind drunk riders buzzing around all night. There are trails all over the place on the edge of the sand, you could ride for a week and not get them all. You'll be fine, and have a blast!!

Old 04-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default St. Anthony, Idaho

Stitchzr2, you can get around fine and see most of the dunes. It's definately best to hook up with somebody that knows the area if you've never been there before. What dates do you have planned? Are you planning in staying in ahotel or camping at the dunes. You have a few choices and it's best to plan ahead.