Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Michigan or Wisconsin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 11:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have heard from the DNR if you are from Ilinois or Michigan you will have to register your Atv in Wisconsin.

Old 06-20-2001, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

<< From what I have heard from the DNR if you are from Ilinois or Michigan you will have to register your Atv in Wisconsin. >>

Trail permits are a good thing and provide funding for state trails.

However, Wisconsin is in the midst of a weight limit restriction problem. The current law only allows for the use of quads weighing less than 650 lbs.

If a 650 lb plus quad was registered previously the registration is grandfathered and not a problem.

If the quad weighs less than 650 lbs and you are from a state which requires ATV registration(not trail permit stickers but actual registration) you will be good to go. For instance if you have a quad registered in Minnesota you will have no problem.

Old 06-20-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Chuck/Ecorman1,

I don't know where you got the idea that I was be-moaning the purchasing of trail permits. I live in Minnesota and have a Michigan trail permit on the back of my Magnum.

What you do not understand is that a Michigan atv cannot be used in Wisconsin without the purchase of a Wisconsin trail permit, and if the quad is over 650 lbs the permit cannot even be purchased.

Wisconsin and Michigan do not have reciprocal permit agreements like Minnesota and Wisconsin have. Minnesota and Wisconsin register their quads, Michigan does not.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

In Bayfield County stay at the Lumberman's Motel. Right on the trail. 715-372-4515 if they are booked try the Trout Haus 888-262-1453

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron County is also great to ride in and the further from Hurley that you get the better the trails and the riding are.

ATV registration has become a focal point in Iron County. I know of nine people that were from Michigan and fined $125.00 each during the last rally because they did not have Wisconsin registrations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Park Falls, Wisconsin

Okay place to ride but the rider's nemesis in this area is Revenue Officer Schultz of the US Forest Service. (Extreme case of Wyatt Earp Syndrome) Roosting on the corner of a Forest Trail will cost you $150

Old 06-20-2001, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

You're right Thor. I was talking about out of State riders coming to Michigan to ride and not us from Michigan, coming your way. Continue, I won't interupt again...
Chuck

Old 06-20-2001, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

chuck/ecoreman1
The DNR may develop trails in lower Michigan but they certainly dont do it here. There are only a handful of trails in the entire Upper Peninsula that were developed with ATV sticker funds. This is probably due to the vast amount of state property, and paper mill property available to ride. However, the new trend here is that these paper mills are starting to sell there property to private parties meaning, less places to ride. More gates, etc. I find it quite offensive paying $16.25 for an atv sticker where the money is suppose to be used to develop new trail systems. We have a trail here in Dickinson County that has been closed for two years!!! There is a beaver dam at one end approximately 300 yrds. long. The DNR'S response, &quot;we dont have the manpower to remove the dam or fix the trail!&quot; The DNR fire department actually are entrusted to maintain these atv trails. Our group checked into eliminating the dam and fixing the trail. This idea was nixed by the DNR because we would become a &quot;liability&quot; problem. So, the trail remains closed. I wouldnt mind coming down state to ride those great trails that you have to see where all the registration money from the U.P.is going!
jigginjack
2001 Polaris HO
charter member of the rain

Old 06-21-2001, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Jigginjack,

I believe it is going to be a slow process as far as trail construction and even trail MAINTENANCE is concerned. There is a lot of behind the scenes political crap that the leaders of the atv, motorcycle and snowmobile clubs are unwilling to share with their members. My opinion is that it is all about historic control of these trails, the 'my group first' leadership of SOME of these groups(and their love/hate relationship with the DNR) PLUS the plain and simple fact that the DNR does not have an army of people beating down the door at ALL of their regional offices wanting to do the work. Even if we do have the numbers, every one of these workers must join a club like MATVA that will provide insurance(can't get around it) and organization that the state respects. I'm just as frustrated and hope more people that own atv's crack open their piggy bank or beg their wife/husband for $20 and join one of these clubs. Kills me; $6000-up for quad; zero for some guy to go to Lansing and play the game that lets you enjoy the ride.

Old 06-21-2001, 08:47 AM
Range Rover

Guys, I have been to many trails in WI as well. Hurley has nice trails but the majority of them are old railroad grades. These trails get boring real quick. If you are looking for a faster pace trail system, then I would head to Clark County or BRF. These areas offer a better trail system IMO vs the railroad grade in Hurley. Dont get me wrong, I too like Hurley for the scenery and mud filled water trails however the red dust and flat trails are another thing. Hurley offers more bar stops on the trails, waterfalls, eating stops, Lake Superior viewing by ATV etc.

If you go to Hurley, you can head into town and check out the nightly entertainment, but be warned the Iron County Sheriffs department is the largest building in Hurley and they constantly patrol the streets and people. Be couteous and dont act stupid and you are fine.

Old 06-21-2001, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

...This idea was nixed by the DNR because we would become a &quot;liability&quot; problem. So, the trail remains closed....

Isn't this ironic!!!! This is the same excuse given to the Park Falls , Wisconsin ATV club when they wanted to clear away some blown down trees before last years rally. Permission denied. Popular excuse for denial! BTW the people that wanted to remove the trees were professional loggers.

Old 06-21-2001, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

for some good muddy trails. go to gladwin orv trails. they are pretty nice they have a little bit of everything. you can cross streems, big sand hills, and pretty scenic. i ride there all the time with my buddies and we all like it there. but thats just my opinion.

Old 06-22-2001, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

michimaniac:
Enjoyed your post! That is exactly what I have run into. I dont have a problem paying $16.25 as long as I can see improvement. This just isnt done. I also checked into fixing up the trails and found that our group had to belong to an atv, or snowmobile group. I think it is time for an atv club here in Dickinson County. Thanks for your post.
jigginjack

Quick Reply: Michigan or Wisconsin?