Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anyone ever ride at Bull Gap near Mio, Michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking on the michiganatv site and the pics and maps looked pretty cool. I see it is a 115 mile trail system with a campground on a lake with trail access and you can even ride your quads into town to get gas and food or even to the hotel. I see it also has the biggest hills in Michigan along with a huge sand hill. It sounds pretty cool I just wondered if anyone had been there.

Old 07-03-2001, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

I have been to the bull gap trail system. it is a pretty big trail system. it is not very muddy at all. mostly sand. the hill that you were talking about is the heart of bull gap. usually on the three day weekends there are tons of people there. mostly there to race up the hill and party. but the parties do not get that crazy anymore since a death a few years ago. but it is still a great place to ride at. some of the trail are pretty narrow but for the most part not to bad.

98 polaris 400l sport
hpd performance clutch
hpd performance exhaust

Old 07-03-2001, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

Hey wickles45, thanks for the info! When I get my new Zilla I'm gonna head up there. You don't live to far from me (I live in a small town about 35 minutes south east of 28th st GR). Where else do you like to ride. We used to ride at Silver Lake a lot but my friends are building a house this summer and I haven't had anyone to ride with so we have only been up there once this year. We rode at Luther a few times too. We also have a homemade mx track at home to play around on. Well thanks again and take it easy.

Old 07-03-2001, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

there is another place that i ride at alot in gladwin. it is about 50 miles it has a northern loop and a southern loop. the trail there can be real muddy if it rains alot. i can make it through on my 400 sport but only because i know the trails real good and go aroung the real deep stuff. but everyonce in a while i get stuck and my buddy with his rubican has to pull me out. i have nevr rode at luther is it a good trail system or no. and where is it at. well ill talk to you later

Old 07-03-2001, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

Luther believe it or not is actually in Luther of all places. (HAHA) Just kidding. Luther is a small town maybe 15-20 miles north east of Baldwin. They are also known as the Big O, Little O trails or the tin cup trails. The Tin Cup trial is 20 miles and is pretty wide open. We ride there with Quadracers and 250R Honda's and usually run third and fourth gear pretty hard, sometimes fifth. The Little Manistee trial is 45 miles long and the Lincoln Hills trail is 21 miles long. The Little Manistee and Lincoln Hills trails are seperate trails but also close by. I have never rode either of them because our race quad's rarely go 45 miles without breaking down. (haha) Or running out of gas. It looks like you could split Bull gap up into sections though, so hopefully well be all right. We always bring tow ropes. Anyway, if you want more info check out www.michiganatv.com or fishweb.com.

Old 07-08-2001, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure but you may have a misprint about Bull Gap being 115 miles. You have probably included all the Mio and Hunt Creek Trails.
The Manistee Trails are fun to ride. I have a house there that we stay in during our trip to the trails there. The Little "O", is probably the most difficult trail in Michigan, I've riden. Because it's tight, not marked well and the DNR Map doesn't tell you how many miles you're doing. Some day, I'd like to groom this trail. It was once a MCCCT trail before ATV's were allowed on it.
My friends and I ride Gladwin, even in the winter. Snow mobiles aren't allowed, even though they do it anyway.
Chuck

Old 10-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

I rode from South Branch all the way out to Bull Gap last weekend. A couple 400ex's and myself covered a lot of ground. Once we got to Bull Gap it was a nice breather. A few piped & paddled Blaster's challenged me to a race up the sand hill. They pulled away at the bottom, and faded back at the top. Next time I go I'm driving all the way to Bull Gap so I can bring out the Skat-Trak Extreme Grip 10 paddles. It was my first time goin' and was still a blast. Definitly worth checking out. Silver Lake does get a little boring after so many times a year. Is Manistee Trails right off of M-20? I think I was there, but I found the trails horrible for a sport quad... too skinny....

Old 10-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

<< ...... The Little &quot;O&quot;, is probably the most difficult trail in Michigan, I've riden. Because it's tight, not marked well and the DNR Map doesn't tell you how many miles you're doing. Some day, I'd like to groom this trail. It was once a MCCCT trail before ATV's were allowed on it..........
Chuck
>>

Chuck,

I would like nothing more than to work on this trail with you as we have a place 'near' there also. How about the two of us trying to convince the state to stop talking to folks associated with building new 'metro' riding areas and lining the pockets of those selling the machines that will use them? (Can you say,..... MMDA?)

Maybe we could ask the state to give 'us' that time, effort and money 'instead'; to buy the heavy equipment we'll need to get some of those trees out of the way (so you can get a groomer down it)?

Funny thing, Chuck, is that I talked to a guy that went down the Little 'O' when it first opened maybe 15 years ago?.............he claimed it wasn't any better then. But you know, those two trees were 'exactly' 50 inches apart back then and didn't 'need' to be cut down at that time.........kinda sounds like the same reasoning some people are using 'today' to ignore our outstate narrow trails and build the 'money-maker' just outside Detroit!

I realize that 'certain' people just don't want to have these issues discussed (to the point of 'banning' the participants as was done on the MATVA website with me)...........but tell me, who else is bringing the subject up?

Maybe we should start a new topic that 'everybody' could comment on............not just those that are 'allowed' on the Michigan ATV Assoc. website?

By the way, did you have to cancel your trip to Windrock, or did you end up going?

John

Old 10-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ride there quite a bit. the hill is lots of fun to play on, and the trails are pretty nice. the only complaint i have is the two way traffic on the trails, can be dangerous. also, its a little dusty, so wear a full face helmet or at least really good goggles. have fun, maybe ill see ya there.