Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ANF trip. Need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a trip planned up to ANF, my first. There is a small group going and I would appreciate some help on trail heads. We are planning to ride Timberline and Marienville. Were going to camp overnite and had planned to stay at a trailhead. My question is, of the trailhead off of 395 on the Marienville loop and the trailhead off of 948 on the Timberline loop which of the 2 would better suit about 5 vehicles and a small camp setup ? For those off you familiar with ANF would either of these be a good choice to be out of the way and to not be crowded ? I picked the 2 formentioned because they also have toilets but the more I thought about that it may not matter. If anyone has another suggestion I would like to hear it and why you would suggest that. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the Timberline trailhead would be a much better bet. There is more parking/space there. The main Marienville trailhead has bathrooms (no showers at either), but camping is not allowed. Camping is allowed at Pig's Ear, which is between the 2 trails, but the area is small, no bathrooms. If I were camping at a trailhead, Timberline would be it.

Old 07-12-2001, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

I think that you should camp at one of the oil fields no one aroundfor miles and can ride down oil roads to trails i am going this weekend for 3 nights

Old 07-12-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Arent the oil fieldes on the southern end of Timberline ? I had planned to camp along the trail but I was out voted by the others going who wanted to camp at the trail head instead of dragging alot of coolers and equipment along for the ride, I guess I cant argue with that. Has anyone ever unloaded or camped at the trail head off of 401 on the Marienville trail ? Is it a larger parking area ?

Old 07-12-2001, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Timberline would be best. Or you could try the Pigs Ear one. You'd be more oscolated down their. It's right past Russell City heading down 66 back towards Clarion. It would be on your left. Alot of people meeting Saturday night for a ride at timberline at 7:00 pm. Bunch of people from pittsburgh.

Jim

Old 07-13-2001, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

The trailhead at Pigs Ear is more isolated ? Its only a small group but we are going to have a good time and I dont want to disturb anybody else. Is Pigs Ear large enough for camping at the trailhead ?

Old 07-13-2001, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it's def big enough. Timberline is big, and usually there is alot of traffic out there. When you camp there (there really is only 2 spots to set up a camp site and the one is full), alot of guys start out there. So your going to get alot of dust, quads and vehicles riding by your stuff when your not there.
Pigs ear is right at the connecting loop from timberline to the marienville part of the atv and bike trail. It's just right for what your looking for. If you go there, usually no one is down that way, so you can whoop it up all ya want. And from the parking lot, you can start on the marienville side of the atv loop and camp out right beside the river. It's only 30 yards from the parking lot. Alot of guys camp there. The campsite will be on the left as you enter the trail.

Old 07-14-2001, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the info JCV. If we camped off of 401 on the Marienville trail is it alot of trouble to get to the Timberline trail ? From what I see on the maps with the 1 way on Marienville you need to ride a good portion of the trail before you can get back to Timberline. Is there much difference between Marienville and Timberline trails ? You lead me to believe with all of the activity on Timberline that its a better trail to ride or is that just because its a longer ride ? Have you ever unloaded off of 401 ? Whats it like down there ? Im not shying away from the Pigs Ear trailhead but I thought the trailhead on 401 might be even more secluded. Again thanks for the info.

Old 07-14-2001, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, your going to ride alot of trail before getting to timberline. It's easy though. Just keep goin. ALOT of difference between Marienville and Timberline. Timberline is 90% dirt roads. Alot of dust. Make sure you have a good pair of goggles and bring some napkins. Marienville is a real nice trail. Starting from either Pigs ear or Timberline is the best in my opinion. If you start at Pigs ear, you can go up and do the small loop of the Marienville side (about 18 mi), then you'll come back down and go up the hill to timber line and ride the "D" loop.(about 40mi) After you ride for about 3-5 miles on the dirt road starting on timberline from Pigs Ear, the trail will go down in the woods to the right. You'll come down to a creek and small beaver dam. Once you cross the bridge, you'll want to keep going straight. (turning to the left will take you to Timberline trail head) Then just keep following signs for the "d" loop. You'll swing up around all the oil lease roads and stuff, a couple of nice pits along the way, and return back down to Pigs Ear. It's a great ride. THat's what we usually do when we ride the trail. It's about 60 miles of trail, and a good variety of terrain.

The bike trail portion of Marienville side is very, very rocky. It's mostly 1st and 2nd gear riding. Alot of work, and really not too good for beginners.(Not saying you are, just in case you bring some along) Alot of people end up taking that part of the trail (not knowing the trail) and waste all of their available time up there. Or get half way up and end up trying to come back out and it's only 1 way travel. It takes about 2-2 1/2 hours to do it from Pigs Ear. And you'll be beat when you get back! Just thought I'd warn ya.

Jim