Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne National Forest--Athens

The Wayne National Forest is Ohio's lone National Forest and serves as an off-road stopoff for many on the east coast. The forest which is approximately178,000 acres, has two designated OHV areas, the Ironton Ranger District and the Athens Ranger Distict.
Inside the Ironton, off-road riders can exploreth Hanging Rock Off Road Vehicle Area and the Pine Creek Off-RoadVehicle Area. Hanging Rock has 26 miles of looping trails to explore. Pine Creek adds another 23 miles of trails and has three different trailheads for you to start from.
While in theAthens Ranger District ATVers can check out the Monday Creek ORV Area. This area has approximately 25 miles of trails and is located just 25miles southeast of Columbus.
Private camping is available at all the sites and mountain bikes, horses are all welcome here as well.
In 1998 The Wayne National Forest has decided to issue a user permit fee to help bring in money for trail upkeep. Eighty percent of the money will be used to maintain the trail for the specific industry designated by the individual user. The annual permit will cost $25 and run from April 16 to Dec. 14th, and must be displayed on the vehicle. The daily charge wii be $5. On top of this charge, all ATVs and motorcycles must purchase a state permit which costs $8 and is good for three years. The Forest also requires OHV riders to have a valid drivers license unles they are under 16 years of age.
Mike Greebeck of the Wayne National Forest said "each system is comparable to one another, but the Athens area sees more action because it's so close to Columbus and Cleveland.
For more information contact the Ironton anger District at (614)-532-3223 Or the Athens Ranger Distrct at (614)-592-6644
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who comes up with the mileage on the trails? I have been to the Monday Creek area many times. I can say with confidence that there is a lot more than twenty five miles of trails. You can ride for hours, and not cover the same trail twice.

This isn't a personal attack, Shepp. I have seen the same mileage listed in the Wayne literature. I just wonder who comes up with the numbers.

Your post was very informative, and I urge anyone who enjoys this sport to get down to the Wayne.