Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Coal Creek Mining Company(Windrock ATV) Trails?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 02:18 PM
4up
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Being totally new to the area and reading about the shear number of trails, I would be a little nervous about riding unmarked trails without a guide or gps. I have ridden parts of the plateu near the Winchester TN, Skyline AL area many times in the past and I know how easy it is to 'get turned around' when riding the hollows and valleys. I'll admit, I would really like to learn the area - I wasn't aware the two riding areas would tie together.

Old 08-21-2001, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got back from Coal Creek and I would recommend it to everybody.It was a great place to ride with trails everywhere.I didn't have my GPS with me so I didn't venture to far from the marked trails but I had more fun on the unmarked trails.Great job Windrock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2001, 12:00 AM
4up
Weekend Warrior

What should I expect in terms of types of trail? What percent jeep accessible, %log road converted to atv trail, %single track (48 inch trail)?

Old 08-22-2001, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

60 % jeep accessable, 35% ATVs and narrower with 5% single track for dirt bikes only. Volunteer Riders are in the process of adding more single track for a planned enduro next year.

Something to remember, the percentages listed are for marked trails only. We have a lot more trails that are not marked yet. With the weather starting to cool off (hopefully) we will be able to get more trails opened and marked. It's just not any fun running a chainsaw in 90 degrees with 90% humidity.

We're only in our 8th month of marking the trails, and it takes a lot more work than I ever thought it would. Things should start to change for the better more rapidly, so come by often.

You can also check out Coal Creek's web site for more info: http://www.coalcreekmining.com

Old 08-23-2001, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

For more information on Coal Creek get the July or September 2001 issues of ATV magazine. The July issue has an article about the Polaris Pro ride that was held at Coal Creek.

I haven't read the September article yet, but the gentleman, Dave Iskierka, that came to Polaris Pro ride was a pleasure to be around. He did worry us a little though. At one point during the day, one of our members asked him what he thought of our ride. His reply was, "You guys suck!" He went on by telling us, "You guys have 72,000 acres of land, gorgeous scenery, fabulous trails and only minutes outside of town. You guys just suck!"

This was the first time I had been around anyone from a national ATV publication. He was very easy to work with and was pretty much just one of the folks.

Old 08-23-2001, 12:10 PM
4up
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Kevin,

By the way, will I be able to pick up a map of the trail system at the store or trailhead? See you guys Saturday if not tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2001, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

They are available at both places. Just remember, if you buy permits at the mountain part of the money goes back into the trails. I'll be there Sat. morning but Melvin will be there tomorrow.

Have a great time and post a message at coalcreekmining.com about you trip.

Old 08-24-2001, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

If you want more information on Coal Creek, the September issue of ATV Magazine has an article on Coal Creek and the Windrock ATV Club. I was a little dissapointed that my picture didn't make it in the story, but I guess they want to sell magazines, not scare babies.

Old 08-26-2001, 12:17 AM
MNT
Pro Rider

Kevin, sounds like that Dave Iskierka guy was jokingly jealous he doesn't have that type of riding area in his backyard, like you guys. I believe he's from Minnesota from what I gather in some of his stories. I'm jealous also, just like Dave [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Seems you guys have worked hard for what you have, as Dave pointed out in his stories. Keep up the great work!

Old 04-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Coal Creek Mining Company(Windrock ATV) Trails?

I sold all my 4 wheelers and a few other things to get my trailer on my land that gives me a awesome view of caryville mountain flats.i could ride from my house. If i had something to ride. now all i can do is sit and stare at it till i round up another one .So all you out of towners dont feel bad..