Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Coal Creek Mining Company(Windrock ATV) Trails?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 05:51 PM
hp3
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been on the Coal Creek Mining Company trails in Tennessee? We are planning an October trip and would like to read some feedback from other riders.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Never been there. One of the ATV magazines did a write up on them a month or so ago. I think POLARIS did one of their trail rides there too.

http://www.windrockatv.com/

Old 08-08-2001, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

I'm there about every weekend, but lately it's been more working than riding.

Here is a website to look at: www.coalcreekmining.com The pictures section isn't working right now, we just changed servers and they don't allow some of the programming functions that we use.

We have a link to a review by "Red Rider" of his first trip to the riding area. We hosted a Polaris Pro Ride that was covered by ATV magazine in their latest issue. Look for a write-up on the riding area as well as Windrock ATV Club in the next issue.

We have well over 60 miles of trail marked and mapped. We have at least twice that not marked yet. We're working on it though.

If you have any questions, just post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 08-08-2001, 01:06 PM
4up
Weekend Warrior

Would like to bring a group up to ride later this month (24th, 25th and 26th). How do I procure a permit? Is camping available or will we need to stay in a Hotel? If so, which are the most ATV friendly?

thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2001, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

On Friday the 24th, you can buy a daily permit at the Short Stop Market in Downtown Oliver Springs. Someone from the Windrock ATV Club will be at the main parking area from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM on both Saturday and Sunday. If you buy permits from the club, part of the money is returned to the club for trail maintenance, marking, etc. If you buy them at the Market they keep that portion of money for themselves.

You can camp on the mountain or at the main parking area. There are no facilities, no electricity and campfires are NOT allowed. You can use a grill or a stove. The company lost over 1,200 acres of trees last year to fires, so they are a little conservative in this area.

If you want to camp someplace that has facilities, check out Frozen Head State Park. It is about 15-20 miles from the main parking area and they do have a bath house.

If you want to stay in a hotel, we reccomend the Garden Plaza in Oak Ridge. Their rate is $65.00 per room per night, as many people as you want to put in it. They have an indoor and outdoor pool, a restaurant and a bar. They have always been nice to everyone we have sent there. They also sell permits for the club (we get the small percentage from these permits).

Have a safe trip, and we look forward to having you come and enjoy yourselves on our mountains.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Old 08-09-2001, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

I ride there all the time and it is great. Just rode 71 miles yesterday. There are probably a couple hundred miles of interconnected trails on the mountain, but most are not marked or mapped (as mentioned in the previous post), but if you have gps you can have alot of fun exploring the area without worry.

Old 08-09-2001, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

Remember our motto: You're not lost 'till you're out of gas!

Old 08-09-2001, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

I like that motto.

Old 08-16-2001, 03:43 AM
Trailblazer

Here is a link to an article done by ATV Connection a couple of years ago about the Coal Creek riding area. I live near Coal Creek and have ridden there for years. The trails are better than ever.Tennessee Trail Riding

The nearest full service camping facility to the actual riding area is located in Caryville (Exit 134 off I-75). Cove Lake State Park This is at the opposite end of the property from the main entrance in Oliver Springs. Hotels are adjacent to the park if you'd rather not camp. Riding permits are available from the Polaris dealer a couple of miles down the road from this park. Royal Blue Wildlife Management Area borders this end of the Coal Creek property and also has miles of trails that can be ridden without having to buy a permit. The only drawback to riding in from this side is that this is the part that hasn't been marked and mapped well yet. I'm sure you'd have no problem finding some local ATVers at the Shoney's Restaurant (located at the foot of the mountain) breakfast bar early in the morning, that would be glad to point you in the right direction or even let you tag along with them. Heck, you might even see me there on Saturday morning.

Old 08-17-2001, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Lot's of trails! Hey Kevin tell Mad Dog, Wally and the rest of the gang I said hello.

This is a definite place to visit, the windrock club has done a great job marking the trail system. It easy to get to the riding area, adequate parking and lots of freindly riders. Check out the three wind mills! All types of terrain from mild to wild.

How many blisters does Red have digging with the post hole digger?

Have fun and have a great trip. One note don't stay at the Garden Plaza Hotel, they filled in their jacuzzi with cement. Trust me you will want one after riding 50-60 miles. Go across the street.

Quick Reply: Coal Creek Mining Company(Windrock ATV) Trails?