Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silver lake sound emissons test coming next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at silver lake last week and right at the entracne they had a huge banner saying that in 2002 they would be starting a sound emissons test next year. It say any real details about it. I was just wondering if anyone has herd anything about what might be going on with it or what. So if you know any details speak up cause im curious.

Matt
87 quad racer
.30 over ported polished
dg pipe silencer
sand skate2 and smooth up front

Old 08-13-2001, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

dasheek

I have read on the DNR webstite under State Parks that they plan on using the 94 decibel limit that is standard on the other Michigan trails. They will test you at the gate and if you are too loud, you won't get in. From there website info, they sound like they are still working with some atv groups from the state to finalize the limit and testing requirements, but I would be shocked if it was anything different than 94 decibels.

Old 08-13-2001, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

One of the times over there I was waiting at the entrance gate for them to finish grooming the entrance ramp. I started asking about the sound requirements, and what is considered under the limit. The DNR person said they did a spot test, and found almost ALL machines failed, including stock quads and trucks.

Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut(he was holding the gate down), and asked if he thought our stock machines(scram, raptor, honda 300) would be ok. He thought so. I think they will probably have a requirement that will read with manufacture exhaust, if not original equiped, must meet a certain noise.

Live it up this year!!!

Rainman

Old 08-20-2001, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Currently,I know of no stock manufactured ATV that would fail the 94db sound law in the State of Mi.My advice is,if you ever get stopped by the DNR and dont pass the db sound level with an aftermarket pipe,just tell him,I checked everywhere,and no there is no place that checks db levels.And you actually would be correct.

Bill

Old 08-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

Actually they will have some kind of meter to measure sound levels. They will instuct you to raise the rpm, and will measure the sound.

Rainman

Old 08-22-2001, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I read about it on paatving.com. They only found one manufactured companys pipe that would pass arount 99 level. all others were 103 and up. it sucks I was gonna get one.

Old 08-23-2001, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rainman,
thats not what im refering to.SURE the guys at SL will have the db meters to check you before they allow entry,however,lets just say that you wanted to know how many DBs your pipe was at?Call around to dealerships in the State of Michigan and guess what?Nobody does that!

Now thats what im talking about!

Bill

Old 08-24-2001, 02:24 PM
Range Rover

guitarjunkie there are a few exhaust systems out there that please the DNR and meet those db requirements. One would be from the Supertrap series called (E.A.R.) Environmental Acoustic Reduction system and some othere offer race/quiet mode, quiet costing more. These systems are spark arrested and to my knowledge you will never have any dnr woes while trailing or duning.
good luck..

Bill, what is your Polaris db at [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img](hhmm) , I'm sure you took advantage of there gun at the Mounds????

Scott

Old 08-24-2001, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scott,
Michigan law requires that the sound meter be tested approx 20 inches from the REAR of the exaust pipe.My Xplorer reads exactly 94db when tested 20 inches BEHIND the rear exaust pipe.According to Michigan LAW im LEGAL.NOW,if you put the sound meter next to the EXPANSION chamber,I'll be over 100db.But thats not how the law wants the sound measured and im perfectly OK with that.[lol]

BTW,
5 of us are headed out for Gladwin this coming Sunday.We are leaving Flint around 8:30am.E-mail me if you want to go?
Haynez2@aol.com

Bill