Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WNF Rock Hill @ 278

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLB-- Yep, Horse Thief cave/the waterfall are one in the same. It is in the Purdum loop.
The "newest" little pr!ck of a hill is on the M-C. Travelling toward Williams Camp, it would be just after the "stair-steps"hill. You come down off the steps, cross a twp. rd., then a little bridge and start up the nasty little muddy, rutted, rocky hill. There appears to be a spring a the top, and it keeps this area wet. 4WD can make it, but (I feel) it just isn't worth beating the he!! out of your bike. We went around it on the road. (ILLEGAL). All it would take is a few ton of the usual gravel that they spread(very sparingly, I might add)! I thought our fees paid for grooming the trails. I have seen very little activity, at all, this season!
Airplane Hollow is the next hollow after the above mentioned hill.
We skirted the other nasty hill over by SR278/Dorr-Run entrance.

Old 09-06-2001, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Airplane Hollow : What Mike (TRX450, 4-Man-S) said. I call it that because when you're coming from new Straightsville on Main Corridor, and heading to Dorr Run, you come out to the dirt road on an angled path, go through the 2 big rocks, cross over the dirt road right next to a big pile of gravel, then drive about 50 yards futher up the road before turning into the trail on that side. That new nasty hill is close to there. Where that gravel pile is located is a sign that says Airplane Hollow.

Old 09-06-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Ya... I know that nasty hill.. it's a bit** as well... but not near as bad as the one at 278..

If it's the one I'm talking about.. it's like a bunch of stair steps.. ugh! I hate rock stair steps!!

Old 09-07-2001, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

Its funny this topic has been started, The last time I went to wayne was in May , We stayed at Williams and rode the MC to Dorr Run where we uusally camp, I think it seriously rained probably 4 days straight before we got there and on the way back to our campsite there was a guy stuck at the bottom of the hill who said he had been there for an hour trying to get up it and offered me and my brother $20 bucks to his YZ426 back to the top!! The poor guy was totally exhuasted, He said had had the bike only 2 weeks and didnt care if I dragged it back to the top, I totally felt for his situation, from the direction he was coming from he had no idea what he was in for until it was too late, After giving him a pop and making a little small talk we just took him down the road and got back on the trail,I kinda of like the hill myself when its dry but I have seen lots of people lose it there in the past few years, Hopefully they will come up with a better solution for those who dont want to risk life and machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2001, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

I had to chuckle reading Todd's reply.
We rode one time when the trails were slick as snot and muddy as sin, especially that "stair-case" hill on the MC. On the way back thru to Williams, we came across a guy on a big dirt bike, seriously stuggling to get up that "stair-case" hill...to no avail. He was by himself and there was NO way he could manuever that bike alone on that slick hill. Rob and Gary helped him get the bike up the hill.
That particular weekend, the trails were not very busy..he would have been s.o.l for a long time if we had not come thru the area when we did.

Old 09-10-2001, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

<< We rode one time when the trails were slick as snot and muddy as sin, especially that &quot;stair-case&quot; hill on the MC. On the way back thru to Williams, we came across a guy on a big dirt bike, seriously stuggling to get up that &quot;stair-case&quot; hill...to no avail. He was by himself and there was NO way he could manuever that bike alone on that slick hill. Rob and Gary helped him get the bike up the hill.
>>

SBL.. I know it wasn't you.. but it goes to show you.. never ever ride alone... it's just not worth it if you get hurt, it could be days before someone finds you... or hours trying to get up a nasty hill..