Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

does any one ride at the mounds in michigan

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering if any one has ridden at the mounds in michigan. The mounds is only like an hour away from my house but i dont want to go there if the place sucks. My quetion is, is there any mud there and hopefully some of it is deep. and also is it a pretty big trail system i heard that it is not very big. any information would be greatly appreciated.
98 polaris 400l sport
00 dodge ram 2500 sport 4x4
01 honda rubicon 500 4x4

Old 09-05-2001, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

Well, everytime I've been there, there's been tons of mud. Personally I don't like riding there. I hate mud, and the trails all intersect, and there's really not that many. Some end in dead ends, some drop off hills. There's no signs or anything. The scramble areas are all whooped to death, and it costs 7 bucks to get in if your not a resident. They also test your decibel level at the front gate. If I were you, I'd just drive the extra 60 miles or so and ride at Gladwin. Gladwin has alot of mud too, especially if you ride the north loop. It may have dried up though, since the last time I was there was May. Hopes this helps. Later.

Old 09-05-2001, 11:35 AM
Range Rover

I have rode the mounds often and by far does it suck. They also JUST GROOMED the trails two weeks ago. The mounds offer a variety of challenge though i agree the 200 acres doesn't allow for any long main trails. It was gravel pits before so if there is mud this is the place. There are a number of side trails that have many mud crossing, some so big even 4x4 trucks dont have a chance, and there out there so watch out. There isnt much off a trial system just minor criss crossing trails that take you up and down throughout the small lakes. this place seemes bigger than it is because of the 3d terraine. There is a 10 acre and 5 acre scramble area mostly for bikes and there about 10 acres of mud bogs for trucks beside the trails to get stuck on. My best area is in the back by the "forest", lol but that holds most of the runs thru many nud holes, some very deep. They just paved the entrance way and have unisex bathroom and a pavilion. It's by far worth checking out, Im sure you'll be back. I too know your dilema, I'm from Southfield. Here's a link to see the course. They charge $8 per quad/bike (non-resident)daily. I have a season pass.

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/~mirror/Areas/Mounds.html

scott

01 Rancher ES
91 KX80 (race ready)

Old 09-05-2001, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

LogLeaper's right. If you've never been there before it's worth checking out. You can tell by my previous post that I really don't care for it. But that's probably because I've been there alot, and it doesn't really hold much interest for me anymore. If you can, go there on a weekday, you'll pretty much have the place to yourself.
Oh I just remembered something. I have a picture of one of the mounds scramble areas, if you want I could sent it to you and you could kind of get an idea of what to expect.

Old 09-05-2001, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

WICKLES, NOBODY
knows the Mounds better than me.Not even the mosquitoes.I've been riding there since the early 80s and I only live about 7 miles from there.I frequent it about 40 times a yr,not because I like it so much,but because of the convenience of it being so close to my home.

You owe it to yourself to at least check the place out once.When they ask you if your a resident,tell them your from Flint,I think it only costs 4 bucks to ride than.They NEVER check I.D.The Mounds open daily from 8am till Sundown.On Sundays,they dont open until 12:00pm.Right now,there is some mud,but in a few wks,it'll for sure get FAR worse.Its a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday.There is enough mud now to get stuck,I pulled out a few ATVs last Saturday.I'll also tell you about MATVA,or the Michigan All Terrain Vehicle Assoc.Its strictly a ATV club and you should concider joining it?Membership is only 20 bucks a yr.We hold membership rides ect.

I'd be gald to show you around on a wk end,let me know.

Bill

Old 09-05-2001, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys thanks for the info. i am going to try and get out there this sunday because every other sunday ill be at the silverdome watching the lions. i will try to find out as soon as possible and let you know if im going to go there or if im not. i like to ride the muddy stuff to try and see what the rubicon can handle. i was at gladwin last weekend and it was pretty dry just a few mud holes but nothing to worry about. most of the mud at gladwin was at the trail head right by 61. thanks again for the information.

98 polaris 400l sport
00 dodge ram 2500 sport 4x4
01 honda rubicon 500 4x4 2000 lbs warn winch

Old 09-05-2001, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wickels,
keep me posted.I WONT be riding this Sunday because im certainly NOT going to miss the Lions opener.I cant ride Saturday either because I have a ASI meeting in GreenVille Mi.

Bill