Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Detroit MI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

54, let's start from the bottom...
You don't have to register your quad in Michigan, to get an ORV Permit. You only need to register before you sell the bike. Get an ORV sticker at Kmart or Meijer Stores.
I live in what we call the Down River Area, of Detroit. It's a group of suburbs of Detroit, just south of town. Ecorse, is one of the closer subs, it only takes me ten minutes to get to Downtown Detroit. Urban areas, all around America, have problems similar to Detroit's. Unemployment, poverty and crime are not the only happening in the City. A lot of nice people work and live in the City. It's cultures are many and they do learn to co-exist. You will not have to feel like you're working in Beruit, unless your boss is an evil person.
However, your quad isn't going to get much use unless you move outside the area of Detroit and Dearborn, by at least forty (40) minutes south to Flat Rock or west to Sumpter Township. Northeast to Romeo or northwest to Howell, Mi. Those are places where you can still buy enough land to ride from the front door to the front gate, get your mail and maybe get lost on the way back...
We do have some great riding areas in Michigan. As Bill, said, we ride all year as long as the hunters aren't busy. If you like snowmobils, there's plenty of trails for you during the winter season but we prefer to ride our quads. Though it would be nice to have a trail in Lower Southeast Michigan, I kind of like the idea of going up north to ride sometimes because it gets me out of the house, city and work. As long as the gasoline prices are steady, it's not too costly to haul a couple quads and trailer up for a weekend of thrills.
If you're moving here soon, it might be a good idea to stay in touch so we can show you some of the riding areas. Maybe after, you can decide if you want to join MATVA. We have some of the best riders in the State, as members of our club. From top to bottom, they're a great group of people to ride with.
One more thing! If you don't like bumper to bumper traffic, you're normal...
Get used to it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If you want to talk more I can E-mail you, just let me know. Welcome to Michigan, Scott!
Chuck

Old 09-08-2001, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Scott,
im with you all the way on the Mudrunners.I had them on my 99 Sportsman and now my 00 Xplorer 4x4 and I think they are one of the very best tires for the mud/snow.

Chucks right,
In Michigan,all you need to do is go to ANY place that sells hunting license's and ask them for an ORV sticker for your ATV.Alls you need is a Michigan drivers license.Cost is 16.25,this sticker is than to be placed on your ATV and will have to be re-newed every April 1st.You cannot legally ride an ATV on State owned trails without an ORV sticker.

The heated grips you mention are a great idea to.Last yrs snowfall was more than we've had in ALOT of yrs,so yah,generally,we dont get much snow in the lower section of the State.The Silver Lk sand dunes are about 3 hrs from Detroit and thats one place I have never been to yet.Maybe soon?

Got an early ASI workshop today in GreenVille Michigan from 8am-3pm.Im going to get an early start cause thats a ways from my home.Talk to you guys later today.

Bill

Old 09-08-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, now I know, soon as I get to MI I need to switch my Drivers Lic over and head to Kmart to get the sticker! Now I just need to find a place to live where I can store my ATV.
My Email is SNOULLET@HOTMAIL.COM, feel free to drop me a line there and I can save your address. I am in the process of packing as we speak so I plan on getting to Detroit somewhere around the 22nd. I hope to bring my ATV with me. Right now my dad is riding it around in Pgh PA! Thought I was going to be moving so I let it at there place for a few weeks.
As for joining the club, heck ya I will be joining, that sounds great!! Around here there were a few clubs but never very active so it kind of sucked. I love doing club rides and such. It is always more fun with a group of people (plus I can beg someone to pull me out when I get stuck!! haha - not that Hondas EVER get stuck! :-)
Hope your class go well, and thanks again top everyone for all the help and information!!
Scott

Old 09-08-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

For some racing action, check out www.sjoproductions.com. It is non-AMA sanctioned, and real laid back. The put together a pretty decent course, and they-re very well run. They have a race coming up in Fowlerville on the 21st of this month. Quads are broken down into three classes, depending on experience. This year they had an eight race series on the east side of MI, with three races in Monroe, real close to Detroit. Be sure to visit the Silver Lake Sand Dunes for the dune experience. If you're a country boy, you're gonna hate it in Detroit. Everything is packed right in tight, lots of concrete, no green space etc. Also much higher taxes, school district sucks, etc. I know quite a few people that live about 45 minutes to an hour north in Oakland or Genesee county that work in Detroit, mostly GM Powertrain people whose jobs were transferred. They all will gladly take the commute over having to live in a built-up urban area. Just depends on what you're used to.

Old 09-09-2001, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,
Can you get a discount on tires from Rocky Mountain ATV?
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2001, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jeff,
no I cant,however,you will find that RM tires are far less exspensive than anyone else's for the same tire.Did you order their catalog yet?

Bill

Old 09-09-2001, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

yes I have the catalog. The prices are good. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2001, 12:59 PM
Range Rover

hey code54, I can offer a little advise on homes or apartments for that matter!!. I live in Southfield less than 30 minutes (nw) from detroit (on a good day) lol,. I believe your best bet is to live in the northeast suburbs of the city. I dont know if you have kids but bloomfield, birmingham, troy schools are the best in the state let alone the nation. as long as you use Southfield freeway or the Lodge (best bet)traffic will not be as bad as the grid lock of the east side (east of I-75). You could also live somewhat downriver like ecorman but you will have to drive farther to get to any reasonable trails. I lived in Glen Bernie , Maryland for a few years, worked in Annapolis, my son was born in South Baltimore hospital, the inner habor was great !!!!! not to mention the eastern shore (ocean city what a blast) even use to body surf the Savage River in Laural after softball games. Nice place, well all I can say is welcome to THIS GREAT SPORTSMAN STATE !!!

by the way my name Scott and a drive a Rancher too ( whats going on ) lol

give me a buzz I can give you some valuable Detroit info (also muddy4life and ecorman are good people with good riding advise, listen to'em)

ssieg@harleyellis.com

Old 09-09-2001, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scott,[Logleaper]
sorry for not mentioning your name,but I did'nt know you were down that far in the State.The good news is that you are one of us[ATVer] and can be helpful to our newcomer Code54.Good to see your advice too.

Bill

Old 09-12-2001, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Scott, good to see you here again. Hope we get to ride next year since it looks like Rich, isn't going to be able to put something together this year. Tell the little Ruff Riders, we all said hello and we're looking to go again next year with all of you. I'll try to bring my grandson if he can learn to ride...
Later,
Chuck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Detroit MI