Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Haspin Acres?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Banshee Brad--- TRUST ME, Hatfield/McCoy is NO comparison to WNF(as much as I love it) H/M is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2001, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Y'all are definitely allowed your opinions, as am I, but I have to disagree. I have been riding at Haspins for almost 15 years, and have never had a problem. I grew up not 10 miles from there, and since I moved north (4 years ago) I have continued to drive the 3 hours for it. I think anyone who doesn't check it out first hand, is cheating themselves!!!!
Dangerous??? The only way it is dangerous is if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing, you are riding above your potential, or you are a speed freak that doesn't know how to slow down. I go down there every year over Memorial Day weeked (their busiest weekend) when there are literally thousands of people there. I have been in trucks, buggies, and on quads and have never been injured or close to it. If you stay in the woods and don't spend much time on the fire trail (main trail that wraps all the way around Haspins) you can go along way w/o seeing anyone. When you do see someone there is usually an easy way to get around and continue on your way. Not to mention that since there are so many trails and people (on their busy days) that if you get stuck you don't have to walk miles back to camp, cause everyone is willing to help you out.
Getting things stolen??? I grew up not far from Laural and was frequently down there. It is a "rough" area. BUT in all the times I have been down there, no one in our group has ever had anything stolen. I am sure it happens, but no more than any other place w/ that many people and primitive camping. I feel very safe and comfortable when I am down there!!!
What I like??? I love haspins cause you can 4 wheel anything! You see Pinto on 44 inch tires, Chevette's w/ Super Swamper front tires... everything. It has everything you could ask for except for sand dunes, and it has allot of riding area for everyone... beginners to expert, dirt bikes to full size tricked out trucks.
I will say that there are idiots who feel they have to run 50 mph down the fire trail, but every time I have come up on one of these guys they go shooting off into the woods (often head over heels) to get out of the way. Most of them would rather hit a tree than another rider.
As long as you look before jumping onto other trails, remember the common rules of "right a way" and use common sense, it is a great place to ride w/ endless trails.
Not to mention that if you ever get lost, you just head to higher ground. The front gate is the highest point on the property, so as long as you are heading up you are heading home, and will shortly arrive at the front desk or the fire road.

Old 09-14-2001, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

WoodWarrior..

I respect your opinion.. but I really think anytime you mix 4000 pound trucks with 400 pound quads, it's not a safe riding area. You can easily be headed down a trail at hasping that all of a sudden crosses the fire road. Been there.. almost been hit.. stopped riding.

Have you ever tried WNF?

Just some basic comparable facts:

Acerage:
Haspin: 800 acres
WNF: 66,000 acres

Max size of vehicle:
Haspin: any
WNF: 50 inches wide limit (ie no trucks, rails etc)

Cost:
Haspin: $10 per person per day
WNF: $5 per day per person, $25 for a year (and seeing how I ride 40 days a year, I save about $375 per year by riding at WNF)

Distance that can be ridden:
Haspin, at a decent clip you can make it from one side to the other and back, in about an 1 hour.
WNF: Pack a lunch, and hope like hell your gas holds out. Trail Head #1 Dorr Run Loop to New Straightsville parking lot. About 2.5 hours each way. 5 hour round trip! Yes, I have done it about 10 times, and thats using the fastest possible legal route, you can literally spend all summer there and still find new stuff to ride on.

Other Things:
Haspin: It does have the drag track, and MX tracks, which I miss.
WNF: It has so much natural beauty, you never get tired of riding.

Old 09-14-2001, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said though, if you pay attention to where you are going or if you know the area like I do (ridden w/ first timers who had no problem) then you don't "suddenly end up on the fire road." If is pretty obvious when you come up on it, and if you aren't flying then you can stop long before you get there. I also have ridden there for years and two weeks ago when I was there I road for about 2 hours on trails I had never been on. Although there ins't allot of acreage there are more trails per acre than almost anywhere, and if you don't like the trails that are there, you can make your own.
I like the fact that anything can be 4 wheeled there, cause I have been stuck when it has taken trucks to pull me out, and it is fun seeing how quads have to do things different to get through the same spot as a truck.
As far as WNF... no I haven't been there, and really look forward to getting out there sometime but the best I can figure it is at least an 8 hour drive from here.
As far as the cost... Haspins is a bit high, but that is because they are building new building (including hot showers, which I can't wait for) and rentivating allot.
The reason I ride there so often is cause all my friends and family live in that area, so it is more convenient than anything else, we all love it down there, cause it is one of the few places were after a long days ride you can sit back by a fire and drink a beer!

Old 09-15-2001, 12:52 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I'm drawing a mental blank here. I can't remember where Warsaw is at the moment. Wayne takes about 2 hours from Richmond,IN. It is an hour SE from Columbus,OH. It is well worth the drive. The difference between Haspin and Wayne is that Haspin is more of a scrambles area, you can ride anywhere and everywhere you turn is another path or an alternative route. The trails are not planned or maintained. The trails at Wayne are MUCH longer and cover probably 20 times the area of Haspin. While some areas have inter-connecting trails you still are covering a lot of ground and have a since of traveling. It is much quieter than Haspin. The terrain is more extreme and beautiful. The hills are longer. I used to think Haspin was really challenging until I went there the weekend after we went to Wayne and it seemed pretty tame. Try Wayne when you have a chance. You won't look at Haspin the same again.

Old 09-17-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Warsaw is about a 1/2 hour from the Michigan border in the dead center of the state. I am right about 3 hours from Richmond, so I guess I am about 5 hours from WNF. I thought it was a little longer than that, but since I haven't a chance to plan a trip out there, I haven't really looked into it's exact location.
I do plan on getting out there, and I am sure it is a great place to ride. I will always love Haspins though. That is just how it is w/ a place that you pretty much grow up at. I don't even have to take friends w/ me down there to ride, cause I know so many people that go down there. It's great!
I love Haspins for the fact that every where you go there is 100+ ways to get there and trails every where, and you can do almost anything you want. It's definitely a "no worry" place.
I think everyone should give it a try and if they like it great, if not.. oh well there are other places to ride.

Old 09-18-2001, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Ive been riding Haspins for a few years now and its a good place to unwind and watch everything romp thru the mud[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Its not really for beginers but there are plenty of places to ride with out fear of being over run in my opinion, For some reason evreryone stays mostly on the "top" of the place or sticks to the fire road, After you are in the woods it all most rare to come across other riders, Dont rob yourself of the experience though, It is a really nice place to explore, ANY place 2 or 4 wheels can possibly go there is a trail, Some of the hillsides people go up and down back by the big mud holes beyond the dragstrip will amaze you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2001, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Wood

Not that I have ever been to Haspin (so I can't comment on it personally), but a girl in another forum posted that her husbands truck got broken into at Haspin last weekend while he was riding. They took his wallet and all of their clothes from the truck. She was less upset about losing the money as opposed to someone having all of their kids pictures and his id.

As for Wayne National Forest, we generally stay in a small campground where the owner keeps a decent eye on things for you. We personally never had anything stolen from camping down at Wayne, however, I would be less secure if I was physically camping in the parking areas.

I may get to Haspin someday, mostly to check out the track. As for riding the trails, I will stick to Wayne for the most part.

Old 09-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about the lady's truck getting broke into. I am sure it happens, but fortunately it hasn't happened to me (knock on wood.) One thing that may make a difference is that we never camp in the parking area, or the first open flat, that most people camp in. We always go back the fire trail to either the shoe tree or another little spot we have that sits off the side of the fire trail. Up until the last time I went I have always left my car up front (had a car, not I got a truck) and it hasn't had any problems either. Oh well... consider me lucky.
I just think that it is shame if people don't give it a chance, because it isn't a very big place, and compared to other spots it isn't very well known. I think this gives it that "down home" feeling that I love.
Oh well... if no one else checks it out then that gives those of us that ride there a less crowded riding spot. Either way I come out good, so I guess I can't ask for more than that.

Old 09-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

I too have been to Haspin a few times. I don't care for the "free for all" attitude. I have seen a lot of alcohol there (even I have an occasional beer) but NEVER when I am, or will be riding. I have been by campsites that reek of weed and that just is something I do NOT want to be riding around. The terrain can be very challenging which is a plus, but I just don't like the total absence of rules (no rules regarding speed in certain areas, alcohol, multiple riders on single rider vehicles, vehicle sizes, and no helmet rules)
I am going to a place in Maysville, KY this weekend called Big Rock ATV park. It looks and sounds cool.(Big Rock ATV Park) It looks a lot more "family friendly" which is good because I have a 7 year old that rides too and I would NEVER take him to haspin.

Quick Reply: Haspin Acres?