Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where would you ride? Hungry Valley or Hollister Hills?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't decide where to ride this weekend.

Old 09-17-2001, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Have you been to either one? I really like HV, because it has single track trails. Either place will probably be HOT, although HV gets a lot of wind, and that can cool it down. We're going to ride the high desert this weekend, and I know we are going to cook!

Old 09-17-2001, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

I've been to HV Twice and liked it. Never been to HH so I'm leaning that direction. HH is about 1/2 hour further from me. Are they similar in terrain and size? Where do you ride in the high desert? I'm planning a trip to Johnson Valley in November to check that out. I've also ridden Windy Point at White Water near palm Springs. I would also like to ride up by Big Bear. I'm originally from So Cal and used to ride all that single track on my mtn bike. The problem is so little time. You know what I mean?

Old 09-18-2001, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

In the high desert we ride everything, but my favorite is Rasor. This weekend we are going out to Sunrise Offroad Park, near Adelanto. I want the kids to get in some jumping practice, but we'll have to ride in the early morning before it gets hot. White Water is closed, although you still see bikes out there all the time. That really sucks, because I could be out there form my house in something like 30 minutes. Call the Big Bear Discovery Center (909)866-3437, and they will send you a set of Off Highway Vehicle maps. My favorite area in the SB Mtns. is the single track trails between the "Pinnacles" staging area and Deep Creek. This area is featured a lot in the magazines when they test bikes and do shootouts. There is precious little single track around here, so I really cherish riding there. I've never been to HH. It's to far north, and on the wrong side of the Sierras. You might want to check out Kennedy Meadows sometime, if you are looking for a nice cool ride during the summer. It's not performance riding, but the scenery is great. I did a rider review on it a while back.

Old 09-19-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Hungry Valley is alot bigger than Hollister, 19,000 acres vs 6,600 acres. Hungrey Valluey has sand washes and miles of whoops that Hollister doesn't have but otherwise the terrian is similar.

One thing that Hollister does have is an AWESOME quad-only track. It's the best non-MX track I've ever ridden; high speed rolling jumps and big banked turns. Bring a group of riders and you probably won't ride much else besides this track!

Another place to check out is Clear Creek, an hour or so south of Hollister. As was mentioned earlyer, all these places are pretty hot and dusty right now. Next month will be alot better.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

Tell me more about Cleer Creek

Old 09-21-2001, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

We went there last spring and had alot of fun. The soil has alot of asbestos, which might make you a little nervous, but the tracksion was unbelievable. It's pretty hilly, but most of it is doable on a quad. One cool thing is there's a bunch of creek (or river in the spring) crossings where you can cool off when it gets hot. There's alot of really unique scenery and riding terrain here; weird moonscape stuff. It's way up in the mountains and the drive is a little tough, but once you get there its worth the extra effort. It's on BLM land wich is located NW of Coalinga. From Hwy 5 take the Coalinga Ex. to Los gatos/Coalinga Rd NW to Clear Creek Rd To Clear Creek Management Area. I would save this one for after the first rain.