Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anybody live in upstate NY? Know where to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live around the Rochester NY area and like to ride with a couple of buddies of mine. One of my freinds has 7 or 8 acres we've made trails and jumps on and we have a lot of fun there. Since it's not a huge area to ride on we like to go on trips to other places but there aren't very many. There used to be a place on route5 and river road we all called wonderland that is now closed to losers deciding to ride on the farmer that owns the lands crops instead of the designated riding area. We also know of a place in Batavia called the sand wash that's pretty cool but you have to ride paranoid because we're no longer alowed to ride there either. Our last great discovery is a town called Wheeler where if you sign a waiver and pay $10.00 you can ride all day as long as it's not race day or grooming day. Does anyone know of anywhere else?

Old 10-15-2001, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Have you guys thought about joining a club? I belong to NYTRO, New York Trail Riders Organization. We have chapters all over the state, including Rochester. You can find us in the club section here.

We have club trails but our main focus is the total lack of state trails. We pay a registration fee but there is no law saying they have to spend our money for trails. We are trying to change that but it's hard, so join up & help out!

Pennsylvania has lots of state trails, and an ATV tourism industry. I live near Buffalo and have been down there to ride. NY needs to realize that the lack of trails is costing us tourism dollars that go elsewhere.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2001, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Dirk, can you give us some more info on that place in Wheeler? I haven't heard of that place and I too am always looking for places to ride in Western NY.
ATV guy, can you tell me where the land for the NYTRO is located?
Do you ride alot by Bella Pizza on South Park? Where else do you ride in the area?

Old 10-16-2001, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well my buddy SparkyEX has been there a few times and I went for the first time last Saturday. He can give you exact directions I can tell you about where it is. It's about 50 minutes to an hour south of Rochester. For us we took 390 south to the 17 split and got off at the first exit I believe it's called Kanona. I think we took a left at the exit and then the first left after the exit and then a little ways down the road there is a sign that says wheeler motox track. Your supposed to stop at the house next to the sign and if anyone is home you sign the waver and fork over 10 samoleans. If there isn't anyone home you just go back there and ride and when they get home they'll come out to you. The amazing thing is how cool everyone at the track is. When I seen the lady come out with three kids I thought "here we go kicked out again with the ceremonial promise to call the cops" and she was totally cool. One thing I will tell you about wheeler is the track isn't very hard if you've seen any of the other upstate NY tracks like Silver Springs of Batavia this track isn't half as difficult as those two. Wheeler also doesn't have any bleachers, consession stands or built in bathrooms only a couple of porta johns. I was however impressed with the how clean the johns where.

If you're a seasoned mxer this track might be to easy for you. There are a couple of decent doubles and a couple of jumps that you can definitely get big air off of and 4 table tops. I've only been riding for 6 months so it's fine for me to gradually push my limits. I would just hate for someone to go down there on my account and be POed because they're to skilled for the track. Our best local rider does put on races there as well as the other two tracks I mentioned so it must have some potential.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Is it just a motorcross track at Wheeler or are there some woods type trails that you can ride on also? Do you know when they will be closing this year or have a telephone number that I can contact them? Any info is appreciated.

Old 10-17-2001, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Wheeler is just an MX track, about 1.2 miles long. There are also 2 practice tracks in the area and lots of trails but not sure who owns the property so we did not ride there. You can call 607-522-7012 for information on the track. I will be there on Saturday riding. Drag and MX races are on Sunday. Hope to see you there!!

Old 10-17-2001, 03:29 PM
Banned

Hello atv_guy,

In Connecticut, to my knowledge, there is absolutely no where to ride legally. And I too, pay registration and taxes on my machine. I'm always looking for new places to ride. Would you be able to provide me with some new places in New York?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

IronBear

Old 10-21-2001, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

drsusz,

I used to ride near Bella Pizza all the time. Those trails connect to go all over. I moved out to Hamburg and I'm looking for new trails. There are some off Pleasant in Hamburg between Rt. 20 & Rt. 5. I've been by there and I've heard you can ride there.

The club I belong to, NYTRO, has trails down by Fredonia & Cuba. I haven't been to Cuba but the trails south of Fredonia are cool. Even if you never see them joining a club and registering your ATV helps us all. The more registrations we have the more the state will see they have to give us some trails.

Snowmobile clubs all have trails paid for with state money. We need to band together and demand equal treatment. NYTRO has lawyers & lobbyists in Albany working to get us some recognition, change attitudes, and get us some trails. If they are successful we will all benefit so join up and help out anyway you can, & tell your freinds too!

Old 10-21-2001, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

Ironbear,

I live pretty far from Connecticut and I'm having a hard time finding trails myself. There are lots of places in E. New York. Check the trail listings in the links section.

Old 10-21-2001, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Information for all NY riders. Join an ATV club in Lewis County, and then ride most of the snowmobile trails. Has anyone heard of the "Tug Hill Plateau? That is were the trails are. It is totally legal, but you have to be registered and insured. They even have a "web" page. www.absoluteatv.com Enjoy and good riding!

Quick Reply: Anybody live in upstate NY? Know where to ride?