Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wellsville, OH is being shut down!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to Salineville police during daylight hours. Didn't get a name. He said that the bozo's who were charging to ride are long gone. His response to me was that "the owner (one of them) has had too many problems with garbage (primarily stolen cars) left to rot on his property." He continued to say that the old dirt road leading up into the pits is/was a township road (believe it or not!) and is officially shut down to motor vehicles...now a citable offense for tresspassing over the tracks. However, the road from wellsville to the little campground is open for public travel. A local guy like you needs to dig up some info on the owners..perhaps on tax maps from your local twp or county bld. A polite phone call to these fellas might do the trick as to getting permission for ATV use. As I said before, the PD was simpethetic on not having the privilage to ride (as though he may have owned a quad or bike) but they have to uphold the wishes of the owners. The dumping and cars seemed to be 100% of the problem....not atv use. Please reply.

Old 01-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

I'm thinking the property owner and the "crooks" who ran the previous so-called club,are one in the same. We will do some investigating. Like I said, there is more than one way to get into the "Pits". There are at least 5 or 6 property owners involved in this 1600 acres. They will never be able to keep folks out of there. Now, the road you are referring to, that they are closing.......that would be the only way to get a car in. Folks believe, the car situation, is an insurance scam. Funny thing is, I have been all over those acres and have never seen any "no trespassing" signs posted. Only at the campsite. We all know, that quads, buggies, and bikes can get where they can't. If this is a township road, how are they getting away with shutting it down? Hmmm......something don't smell right. I understand the law enforcement is doing there job. Trust me, this road will not stayed closed. There is alot of politics in that county, and one person who has much influence, is the one who owns the campsite. He does good business with riders and from what we heard through the rumor mill.....he is partly responsible for running those "crooks" out of there. I have been in touch with a fellow from the OMTA group, and we are doing some research. We are hoping to find out who the owners are and cut a deal with them.
Just be leary of anyone with the name Hillbilly. I think the "crooks" are up to know good again and trying to run people out unless they can make a "pay to play".Text

Old 01-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

BTW......I am a female, thus the backseatrider title...hehehe

Anyways, I am printing off all the postings on this forum. My husband is going to make copies and get them posted in the cycle shops around our area. The more we can get involved, the better.
What's the old saying...."There is power in numbers".

Old 01-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backseatrider, you are right in saying that an area like that can never be truely shut down. The concern that the out-of-towners like myself have is where do we park? Obviously we don't know the area well and the gravel lot just over the tracks is the only place I know of that we can park at. If the cops are requested to bust people, I am the person who is going to get busted, not the local riders who can ride in and ride out on their quads.

Old 01-11-2002, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Tell ya what, some of the local guys plan on going down there tomorrow for some riding. I'll let you know, if anyone is still parking across those tracks. I don't see Saline Twp. doing much about it. For one thing, the guy who owns the campground (whose campers go there to ride) is related to the Sheriff of that county.
This campsite owner isn't going to let anything happen that will hinder his business. So far, in the last few days, locals that have been down there, hasn't seen a soul (meaning law enforcement).
I believe someone said, that it was Conrail who would have you cited. I don't think this is true either. I'll let you know what the weekend holds. Also, I will try to think of a another area to park. I want to see the police cruiser that they take up in there to cite anyone......LOL!!

Old 01-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

Well, there ya have it yellowcreek "PIT" riders.....the locals were riding there yesterday, no trouble in sight. There were trucks parked in the area and no police to be seen, nor have they been anytime anyone has been down there in the last week or so. Now, if they were going to go after anyone, they would do it on a weekend when there are more riders. Check out the posting from "yellowcreekrider" on the forum "Wellsville, Ohio".

Old 01-27-2002, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

Okay, upon talking to some fellows who live in the Saline Twp. area,I found out what some of the problems are at the "Pits".
One......riders are going on a main road to get to a little store in Irondale. This is why the police have been involved. Two.....The railroad company is concerned with the gravel that is being "washed" away from the side of the tracks in certain areas, because of riders riding along side the tracks. Three....The power company and gas company are concerned with the paths along their lines, they too are becoming "washed" out. If riders stop going on the main road, or become legal by purchasing a street tag this might keep the Saline Twp. Police happy. Stay away from the tracks, or at least avoid riding in the gravel. Try to stay away from utility paths. The burnt up cars is still somewhat an issue.

We have some guys trying to find out who all owns the land and maybe talk to them. Hopefully we can get some kind of agreement and keep this fantastic place available to all. BTW.....if you ever come across men by the name of Hillbilly and/or Springer......STAY CLEAR!

Old 02-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been to wellsville every weekend for the last month and have not seen one police car. So far nobody is being towed or ticketed. There are still people riding just as many as always. I talked to a few people in town and they said it will not be shut down and it is just talk. I have heard that people that have campsites will be the only people to alond to ride. Do you know when the police are going to start towing or ticketing??

Old 02-25-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above, the only reports of police activity occured on the first weekend of December. Ever since then, nothing and that is what we have all been discussing.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

I don't pretend to know all the circumstances pertaining to wellsville. But I do have a few suggestions.

If a local club could contact the owners, and lease the land from them and get insurance. This would do several things at the same time. The land owners could not be held responsible for any accident. Also the club could act as security for the land to discourage any wrong doings such as dumping garbage, dumping cars, and keeping people from riding where they are not suppose to. The club could then charge for riding and sponsor poker runs to pay for the insurance and up keep of the area. (such as gravel and clean-up) I would bet the land owners would feel a lot better about this. Since it would take the burden off of their shoulders. Hey what could be better they would get paid for use of their land and have a built in police force to protect their interests.

I already belong to club that is doing this. The club has only been in existance less than a year. And so far the land owners are very happy. We have cleaned up there property, Also we are in the process of tripling the size of our riding through leasing.

Quick Reply: Wellsville, OH is being shut down!