Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wellsville, OH is being shut down!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been to Wellsville since Thanksgiving. It sounds like a lot has happened since then. I was planning on bringing some friends there on Good Friday. Can we still drive over the tracks and park? If not, is there anywhere else safe to park 6 trucks and trailers and ride in? If anyone has some info, I would appreciate an update.

Old 03-21-2002, 06:27 PM
Range Rover

Yes I too have plans to ride there soon, backseatrider do you have any new info on what is going on down there? Also I need some basic directions to the town itself, I can find my own way from there. I wil be coming from the Youngstown Oh area. Thanks, Chris

Old 03-21-2002, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Hey fellow riding enthusiasts.......

All is clear at the "Pits", there hasn't been any trouble down there in a long time, at least not since last fall when this all came about. Things are as normal, parking is normal, but the riding could be really muddy since we had quite a bit of rain the last few days........but who minds mud? hehehe

As for directions to coming to our little village of Wellsville..

If you are coming from the Youngstown area, you want to take Rt 11 till you come to Rt 7 South. Take Rt 7 South into Wellsville, taking the Rt 39 & Aten Avenue Exit into Wellsville. Take a left at the exit, take a right at the stop sign and keep going straight like you are heading out of town, you will come upon an onramp to get back on Rt 7 South, but there is a road to the left(before the ramp) that leads into an Industrial Park, take that road and keep following it down in to the "Pits".

If you need anything else, just drop me note........Safe Ridin'!!

Old 03-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

I have been riding Wellsville at least once a month Nov. Dec. Jan. and Feb. with no problem but I just read this happened last week on another forum

3-15-02 WENT TO WELLSVILLE TODAY, NO TRESPASSING SIGN EVERYWHERE, I WAS TOLD TO LEAVE OR THE POLICE WERE COMING, LOOKING FOR NEW PLACE TO RIDE. SORRY ABOUT THE BAD NEWS

The next post had this:

NETR spoke with two (three?) of the landowners and discussed the issues
they are having problems with. In no particular order and not limited to
these are problems they discussed.
1) Camping at and off the road
2) Alcohol fuelled drivers of any kind
3) Driving of any kind at night also combining 2 and 3. There is one owner not represented that is talking about giving his land to the nature Conservancy because of the night driving! One gentleman was there Friday night, Saturday when we got there and was going to be coming back that night and Sunday to tell people the rules. Yes they let quite a few folks ride, just not camp and stay overnight. The landowners are being as kind as possible to everyone who shows up there. I do not know if the tables were reversed if I could be as nice about the area. They could have just called the police. I expect North East to have more later. People talked to towns people and a business owner. The people are having to come to grips with the issues above and how much they may be contributing to it. they have a wonderful resource for themselves and their children. they know they will have to be part of the solution to keep the
area open. We also talked to a very nice restaurant owner (the H&H good
food with reasonable prices). We talked about how he used to have more
business before the cables went up blocking buggies and such from coming
down the tracks into town.

Another forum had this:

OMTA through the efforts of Northeast Trail-riders has talked to "Hillbilly" and given him the OMTA message, which is that we want to make it right, and help clean up the 1300 acres that folks refer to as Wellsville. Roberts, who is one of the area's land owners, is glad to hear from us and wants to set up a meeting with Mr. Springer, himself, the other owner of the area, and us- OMTA!
This is a golden opportunity for off road people to preserve a riding area in Ohio that now provides 4 wheel drive, Quad, motorcycle, and mountain bikes a recreational outlet. Years of use from riders and probable abuse from local folks who see the area as a convenient place to dump havegiven our membership both a chance and a challenge to prove their sincerity, right a lot of wrongs, and provide long term access for true multi-use recreation. With honesty and our knowledge of the system there is every reason to believe we can (with a long term commitment from the owners) apply for grant money to make Wellsville an Ohio off-road destination available for all!

Old 03-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode yesterday and had no problems at all with regards to parking. Backseatrider speaks the truth. Now, the riding was another story. The powerline is almost impassable. With all the rain, everything was slick as snot and rutted up. It was not a pretty site, watching my Raptor barrel roll down a hill with me laying on the ground BELOW IT!! Ouch! Fortunately, I only received bruises and the Raptor made it ok except for a desperate need for new handle bars. The creek was running good and allowed us to "powerwash" the quads in an ever so fun matter.

Old 03-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Husky,

Never believe everthing you read or hear, first rule in politics (which we all should learn from that lately). A couple gentlemen from OTMA were at my home last weekend speaking with my husband about the "Pits", if we can work with this group and the landowners, it would be wonderful. This character "Hillbilly" is a moron and a con.......he owns very little land down there, not even a section where riders go, and he was in with another man named Springer, who ripped off some Amish folks who own land down there. Don't and I repeat "DON'T" believe anything these two men say or do. Now, from what I was told by some local riders, they are trying to stop people from camping on the land, this comes to reason when the property owners are responsible for this land. I don't think the property owners mind the riding, just not the camping. Trust me, we will all make every effort to preserve this riding area. It has been a past time for many folks in Wellsville for many years, long before others ever heard of it. Hell, I am 37 and can remember going in the buggy when I was little with my Dad down there. If I hear of anything else going on, I will keep ya all posted.

TTFN[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the information Backseatrider and CBUS660R. If anything changes before 3/29, I would appreciate being updated. Our group only makes it down there 5 or 6 times a year, but we always have a good ride.

Old 03-22-2002, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was there last weekend and they were charging people that were not in the campsite. I am in the campsite so i'm not sure how much they were charging. People were parking past the tracks but, my not sure who much they paid to do so. There were less people then normal. I'll update any new info when I go next weekend.

Old 03-22-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 4wheelgirl, any place to ride up around Akron, i'm going to school up there next year and am just curious...always lookin for a place to ride.

Sorry to hear the Bad news!!! me and some buddies really enjoyed the riding, keep us posted on what happens

Old 03-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Trailblazer

Hey 4wheelgirl?

Who was it that was doing the charging for camping and/or parking? Do you know, or do you know anyone that was charged?

g'day

Quick Reply: Wellsville, OH is being shut down!