Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

michigan riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all,
so, who ended up at the mounds this weekend? i was up north in mio seeing if i could get stuck in my truck. no such luck, i made it through, lol. had a little trouble with the trails. thought i was on a route, and was for a minute or 2. ended up 40 miles away pulling out behind a gasstation with a look of disbeleafe from the attentant. she didn't think a truck could fit on a snowmobile trail for 40 miles, guess i showed her, heehee.then, to top it all off, i had to go back down the trail to the trail head to find my way back home, lol. man, am i glad there was no snow, would have scared the crap out of a sled if one came up on my bumper at 70, lol. well, going back next weekend with the grizzly, to tackle a little hill i had fun on this weekend. i made it alot in summer, but gunna add a little more flavor to it in the hard soil, lol. wish me luck, and take care.

my pictures

Old 01-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

I was out at the Mounds on Sunday, man alive was it muddy. What a blast. We got there just as it was opening so it didn't get real muddy for about an hour or so, was still in 40's when we got there. After that though, slick as snot. We only rode until about 2 or 2:30 though. It was getting to be a madhouse. Not to mention people with passengers on quads, no helmets, people walking the trails in street clothes. Too dangerous for my blood. What's the deal with no one in the control hut?

-Shawn

Old 01-28-2002, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hoarsnest,

Talking about too dangerous, Saturday, a buddy and I tried out the Cedar Creek Motorsports Trail N.E. of Muskegon which is the largest legal trail system closest to the largest city (G.R.) over here in West Michigan.

National Forest or not, we'd sure appreciate some help over here to work with the Forestry Service, state govt. and ALL the clubs to start making these trails safe to ride. I'd like to send some of these people out on quads with wet paint on the side of their wheels/plastic and see what's left when they return. Would never even think about bringing my girlfriend there or White Cloud/Little 'O' for that matter. Is this just acceptable to everyone else or is West Michigan just the red-headed step-child of system management because fighting for what's right involves the federal govt. and more work?

Sure would be interesting to poll the other clubs in the state and ask them what width they consider SAFE to ride (and make it FOR the record) and not what they have been asked to maintain. The snowmobilers have already decided this as you rarely see a narrow, tree-filled, sled trail (imagine that!).

We can just say we need to grade the Manistee trail (which handles the bulk of ATV traffic) more during the summer and everything will be fine.

OR, we can concentrate on starting to lay the groundwork to widen and improve the trails we have and then purchase the automated equipment to get the job done upon approval. Don't let anyone try to tell you that the clubs should do the clearing themselves (manually) because "that's the way we did it back in '67 ". It's a ridiculous idea, unless they want to let the prisoners do it like the Little 'O' was done years ago. The clubs can come in afterwards and haul whatever need be away, or rightfully use this timber to build wildlife habitat right in the woods where they lay or elsewhere (built to an agreed standard; who knows with the federal govt.).

Guaranteed, you will be labeled as a lot of things when you force people to stand up and state publicly how they feel on this issue. Until we do this though, we have no idea who will stand behind what's safe and reasonable.

Again, I would like to hear from SOMEBODY over here that gives a rip about this and might be willing to do what they can every now and then which would be the extent of my involvement also. We have to start somewhere.

John
'00 SP500

Old 01-28-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

HEY HOARSNEST,
i cant beleave there were people riding double and not wearing helmets!!! i can tell ya, the cops patrol them mounds, and if they see that, they will write till there arms fall off. it is too bad to hear that, couse i have never seen such a thing. michiganmaniac, i hear ya buddy. we have trails on the east side that are NEVER maintained. all i can tell ya is join a club like mafta, and try to get them over there to work on the trails with ya. i have brought a chainsaw with me more than once on the trails to do a little cleaning while i'm riding. it may take from the day, but if everyone did it, there would be no bad trails. good luck with your trails, and consiter mavta, as i am too.

my pictures

Old 01-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

mich660grizz,

I joined last year and renewed again; mainly because I felt they are the ONLY ones out there trying to get something accomplished. They've got a meeting in Pontiac at noon Sat.(you're welcome, RSVP to site for potluck), maybe we can start taking at least the first steps toward making these trails navigable.

Question: Which trails do you feel are the most narrow (barely 50" as mandated by the state) and dangerous in the trail system?

Thanks in advance for your help,

John
'00 SP500

I just wanted to add for anybody unfamiliar with the riding opportunities here in Michigan that we actually do have some world-class areas availiable for everyone. You'll have to drive a ways, but I think any Michigander on here would probably agree that we grow some fine people up here who are always more than willing to point you in the right direction for fun and relaxation. Not sure I could find a better place to call home.

Old 01-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

I went to the mounds sunday for the first time. It was alright. definatly nor big enough. there were alot of people for that small of an area. I think. i would go back there again. it was pretty muddy which was good. Like you guys said before there were alot of people without helmets and riding double. but all in all i would go back there again for a day riding when theres nothing else to do.

98 polaris 400l sport
00 dodge ram 2500 4x4
01 honda rubicon W2000 lbs warn winch

Old 01-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Range Rover

Hey Michimaniac,
I have some trails for you that are narrow and dangerous. The Big Bear Trail + Connector Trail, and Crapo Creek Trail. The actual trail itself is about 12 inches wide, and at some points the growth there is so thick the trail cannot be seen. I think it's safe to say that it has been some time since this trail has been maintained. It's to bad too, it really offers some nice scenery.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

Twinshot,

Very nuch appreciate your assesment of that system. It's difficult to set priorities for trail maintenance when these type of trails never get rode and thus talked about and then forgotten.

Are there others that you wouldn't take your kids down for fear of a short concentration lapse resulting in him/her wrapped around a tree?

Hopefully, chronicalling these areas will make folks realize that only WE can prevent these places from being closed and ultimately IMPROVED. Start asking questions about how the trail system works and what you can do to help.

John

Old 01-30-2002, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

I have to agree with Twinshot on and Crapo Creek / Big Bear. I think that system has some definate potential. I enjoyed the terrain and scenery, but the trails were to thin and not well maintained. It seems to get a lot of MX use, as there are a lot of single track ruts, and not much ATV - probably mostly due to trail width. My only other comment on the trails I have ridden so far is that the Kalkaska North trail could use a grading, but I still really enjoy that trail.

Couple general questions: On the DNR published trail maps in the lower right corner there always either a picture of a motorcycle or motorcycle/ATV both. On the ones that show only a motorcycle, are ATV's technically not supposed to use these trails, or is that more a measure of trail width and ATV's ride at their own risk? Also, to anyone that has ridden Drummond Island - how are the trails for ATV's. Technical? Wide enough? How difficult is it to get across with ATV's / trailers? My buddies and I take a full size truck with a 12' utility trailer when we ride. Is there any problem getting that on the ferry?

-Shawn

Old 01-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Hoarsnest,

Thanks for your description; I'll bring your comments to the meeting on Sat.

Question: How long (timewise) a trip is the N. route? you've convinced me that this should be my next trip.

re: Drummond
Your 660 is probably the ideal machine for the island as it's light with IRS. The trails are plenty wide enough, have technical parts and are just plain chock full of ROCKS! No problem for the trailer as semis supply the island regularly. Keep in touch if you're serious about going as I may know someone starting a guide service. He's worth 3 times whatever he charges if he decides to do it. Don't bring anyone that's apt to complain because it's too rough on the rocks; you'll get a seemingly non-ending dose in some places.

John
'00 SP500

Quick Reply: michigan riding