Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

michigan riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering if anyone has been to the leota trails. I think thats what they are called. and if so where exactly are they and what is the riding like there. I also would like to know of any other good areas to ride at in the lower part of michigan. i ride alot at gladwin and bull gap trails. but would like to try some new areas that some of you might think is a good place to go. thanks for any of the help and info.

98 polaris 400l sport
00 dodge ram 2500 4x4
01 honda rubicon w/ 2000 lb warn winch

Old 01-25-2002, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

heywickels,
i loved the mio trails, as well as the hill. if you are into mostly speed, then the hale trail system is cool. it is about 120 miles each way, but mostly open trail to tear it up!either of these trails can be found on orv maps, or try a site i think is called mavta, a michigan organization who also posts maps on there site. great site to join by the way, as i also plan on joining in the spring.good luck, and hope to katch ya' on the trails sometime.

my pictures

Old 01-25-2002, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

hey again,
i got the site name, its www.michiganatv.com and its run by mavta. great site, great people, and there are lots of maps there to get you all over michigan. have a ball buddy!

my pictures

Old 01-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

I have not ridden the Kalkaska South trail, but the Kalkaska north is one of my favorites. The HideAway bar across from the trailhead in Starvation Lake has some good bar food for after the ride. Black Lake area trails, over near Cheboygen (Pigeon River forest) are nice and the scramble area is awesome. Great hill climbs, some very technical, with vertical steps and tree roots in them. There was only one or two that I found that I was too chicken to try on my Grizz 660. I rode Leetsville a couple weeks ago in the snow and it was nice, good scenery, although we need a truck to get into the unplowed trailhead. Probably too much snow to get it right now. St. Helen trails will keep you busy for days. Lot of varying terrain and conditions. Being in Farmington Hills, you are close enough to the Mounds to make a day trip out of that. Check out the current thread in the Trail Talk/Where to Ride section of www.michiganatv.com site mich660griz was talking about for a good description of the area. If my buddy's Polaris 700 gets fixed today I will probably be there this weekend. So far the only trail I really didn't like was the Crapo Creek trail, very narrow, not much more than MX single track.

Shawn

Old 01-25-2002, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

hey hoarsnest,
i just got back from the mounds on thursday. it was warming up, and started to get rea muddy. now, being 660 grizzly owners, you can appreciate alot of mud, heehee. this weekend, it is suppost to get up to 50 degrees. if you want a mud pit around 190 acres big, then that will be the place to ride! i will be up in hale, so i wont be able to make it, so if you go, have a ball!

tire and riding pics

Old 01-25-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

mich660griz -

Yea, my buddys parts came in so we will be up there Sunday. I love playing in the mud, I just hate cleaning up after myself. Week after I bought my Grizz I had it up there, and then I spent the next week after that trying to get mud out of every nook & cranny. Like you said though, I'm sure it's gonna be real sloppy.

-Shawn

Old 01-25-2002, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

HoarsNest -
You mentioned not liking Crapo Creek. I have not ridden there yet but I believe that trail has been added to the list that MATVA will be maintaining. If so expect it to be opened up to 50" minimum this summer. If anyone is looking for others to ride with in Michigan keep an eye on the Trail Talk forum at www.michiganatv.com There is always someone going somewhere to ride. Rides posted there are not MATVA member only rides.

There are a few going to the Mounds tomorrow the 26th. It will be fun in the mud.

Jeff

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

I am going to go to the mounds on sunday. As long as it does not rain. I heard that it is not very big. but ill go there for a few hours to see what it is like. hopefully it will be muddy. Are you allowed to take your truck through the area. because i would like to drivew my truck as well as my quad. but i guess i will find out tomorrow.

98 polaris 400l sport
00 dodge ram 2500 4x4
01 honda rubicon 4x4 w/ 2000 warn winch

Old 01-26-2002, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

The Mounds is around 210 acres. I was there today and it was getting very muddy as it warmed up. I usually wear a cheap rain suite from Walmart and rubber boots. There is also sand areas. I will also be going back tomorrow. Look for the Silver Dodge Dakota with a Triton 2 quad trailer.

P.S. You can take your truck in as long as you have an ORV sticker on it. There hasn't been any DNR collecting money so you get in for free. But they may swing in to check OVR stickers.

On Sunday's the gates don't open until noon.

Jeff

Old 01-27-2002, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

We live in Westland - not to far from Farmington Hils. Our favorite riding places are Silve Lake Sand Dunes and Black Lake. We have also rode at Gladwin quite a few time but always have bad luck there so we try to stay away. When we only want to ride for one day we go to the Mounds (since it is so close) it is worth the trip. We always come home with some good stories. Another place kind of close is Maumee (in Ohio) it is close but not all that fun.

Quick Reply: michigan riding